Battle belts and holsters

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Battle belts and holsters

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:24 am

Tex Grebner's ND was caused by his own doing, but it was made possible by the inherent design of the locking mechanism which counteracts with human physiology. Tim with Military Arms Channel made a video about it, so I'll just post it instead of rehashing the issue.

The Safariland 6370 series and 7370 series concealment ALS holsters run from $35-65. You can get different belt attachments for a few bucks more. Different strokes for different folks, but Safariland holsters are more affordable than people think.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby shooter115 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Well my only options for the XDm 5.25 with hooded thumb release retention are the G-Code XST and the BladeTech WRS. Safariland does not make one for the 5.25.

The G-Code is the one I've been eyeing for quite a while. Theirs is actually for the 4.5" barreled guns, but it's a completely open bottom holster and from what Iv'e read works just fine for the 5.25. I also like the looks and functionality of their RTI locking system. For 3 gun it would be slick as it would only take a second to pop off the loaded holster for stages where you don't need your pistol. Plus you can get extra backer plates to mount the pistol to just about anything. What I really like about it is I can get just the basic holster to try and screw it onto my Blade Tech DOH mount for a paltry sum of $37 and add the RTI mount down the road if I like it. Whereas to buy the RTI set up with their DOH mount is over $90. Surprisingly there is no price break buying as a package vs individual components.

Any comments on the G-Code holsters or the RTI mounting system.

The only other option is the WRS and it starts out at $120.......yikes!!
shooter115

Battle belts and holsters

Postby jshuberg on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Safariland ALS holsters. Unfortunately the don't make one for my Sig X5. They do however make one for the P226 that is very similar. I was able to very easily mod the P226 holster with a heat gun, and open up the few places that were preventing the X5 from seating properly. The result is an almost perfect fit retention holster for the X5. The muzzle sticks out around .5" from the bottom, but I'm fine with that for what I'm using it for.

If you've got a pistol that safariland doesn't make a holster for, by one for a similar sized and shaped pistol and mod it for a custom fit to your gun. It takes less than an hour to do.

I'd avoid the Serpa holsters. Even with the best training and muscle memory you can make a mistake. Requiring your finger to be anywhere near the trigger guard to remove it is a design flaw.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:00 pm

You can get the RTI wheels and accessories from Natchez for about half the price that G-code charges. Natchez has a terrible website but do a search for 'Eagle RTI'. I'm not sure what the story is there.

I'd still be interested in other first hand opinion of G-code too. I just got the holster and I still need to give them a call. This is on their website:

"Unimpeded “Firing Grip” On The Draw A “TRUE” test of a quality rig is the ability of the user to obtain a full “firing grip” on the weapon prior to the draw. A full firing grip includes the direct contact between the middle finger and the trigger guard as well as the thumb wrapped completely around the pistol grip without any contact between the shooting hand and the holster. This enables the user to draw and fire without having to further adjust the grip. All G-CODE holsters are designed to provide the proper firing grip for the fastest possible draw."

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/Why-G-Code.html

Here are some pictures I just took. I'm thinking about cutting off the lever and stippling or adding skateboard tape to the remainder of the lever. What I can't figure out is why no one else has this complaint. I have large hands but not paws :)

IMG_4734 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4735 (1024x768).jpg
Jackpine Savage

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 pm

I set this up for use when teaching classes. I've since moved to something else, but it was OK for when I wanted to run "light." Pouches are from Blade-Tech. I wore this with a pair of HSGI suspenders (not shown in the pic).

When carrying a rifle or shotgun, I like the split front chest rigs like the Condor Ronin and the Tactical Tailor MAV.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby shooter115 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:53 pm

@Jackpine.....after looking at some videos it would appear most folks are activating the release forward of the knurled area then pulling the pistol up to make a full grip. Not hitting the release then pushing the thumb past it to make a grip.
shooter115

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 am

shooter115 wrote:@Jackpine.....after looking at some videos it would appear most folks are activating the release forward of the knurled area then pulling the pistol up to make a full grip. Not hitting the release then pushing the thumb past it to make a grip.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I wonder if the guys running the Bladetech WRS do the same?
Jackpine Savage

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:50 am

Regardless of thumb-actuated deactivation method (lever, button, thumb break, etc), the ideal draw stroke should involve simultaneous action where you establish the majority of your grip while at the same time deactivate the retention mechanism(s) with your thumb. This is fluid motion. Then, you initiate the draw stroke at the instant that the mechanical retention is deactivated. As you lift the gun out of the holster to complete the draw stroke, that is when you should be wrapping your thumb around and completing your grip. The principle here is economy of motion. If you grip, deactivate, wrap thumb, then draw, you are wasting time on a draw stroke that, more often than not, will be a reactive draw stroke. When you have maximum efficiency, you're looking at 1.25-1.5s for the draw stroke with a Level 3 retention holster, whereas with individual movements you may be in the 1.75-2s range for your draw. The speed only increases with less complex holsters.

It comes down to how you need to initiate the draw stroke for your own holster, but regardless of what needs to be done, you want to avoid using individual draw stroke motions and instead be as fluid as possible. Deactivating the thumb break and then getting a full grip before drawing is slower, and it's not doing much to improve your grip. If you deactivate the retention lever and immediately draw, your upward motion should pull your gun right into your palm and naturally pull your thumb into the grip position. If you have a good starting grip with your four fingers and web of the hand, it should result in an ideal grip by the time you are presenting the gun on target.

Food for thought with the thumb breaks is all. Obviously with an ALS holster, this fluid draw stroke is mandatory.
UnaStamus

Postby shooter115 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:49 am

Just to follow up I got, my G-Code XST holster a while back and I fricken love it. To my dismay it did not mate up to my Blade-Tech DOH mount as I was told by G-Code, but I found a great solution by mounting it to the Holster Hanger by Invictus Practical then attaching it to a Tek-Lok, which I was already using. It did take some practice to get to the sub 1 second draw and fire range with a "thumb drive" style release. I actually had to slow down a bit, because if you draw too fast and don't let the hood get out of the way, things come to a screeching halt. With repetition it's become a non-issue. overall I've found 2 great products I would stand behind in the G-Code XST holster and Invictus Practical Holster Hanger.
shooter115

Postby Scratch on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 pm

And I suppose I'll post a follow up too...

I decided to go with the battle belt. An HSGI Suregrip battle belt. I already had a 2" inner belt with a Fastech buckle on it, so I used that to save some money. I figured I could always use my spare 1.5" Cobra belt if I wanted that type of buckle, or just order a 2" Cobra buckle, since the belt I had was fine. It turns out it wasn't long until I really needed the Cobra buckle, as the Fastech buckle didn't always hold, so I ordered one for it.

I got two of the HSGI Double decker taco pouches, and two of their single mag tacos also. I love those pouches. Very secure grip on the mags, but easy to pull out. I use the double deckers for my mags, and the singles for my light and multi tool. I also have an Emdomm/MM dump pouch out back. I can fit almost two full bags of lollipops, and all my knitting gear in there so I got that going for me...

I also went with the G-Code SOC Rig holster. It came with cowlings for my G17 with and without the WML, but I don't know if I'll ever use it without the light... Who knows... Nice to have options right? I really love the holster. The "push down" thumb break retention took about 30 minutes of getting used to, and now is pretty much invisible to me.

I also wanted to put on some type of fixed blade. I think I have a thread on that issue too somewhere... but since I haven't made up my mind yet, I temporarily attached my cheesy Bear Grylls Knife on there. Don't judge me...

I did not go with any type of a med kit, bleeder kit, whatever. Not yet. I have plenty of room for one, and will probably end up with one of the taller slimline pouches, but I'm in no hurry yet. If I bleed out, I bleed out. I've had a decent life so far.

I was also able to fit a shotgun shell carrier on the belt, in case my two gun adventures, turn into using three guns. I got a good deal on the Gunner Solutions EZ8 shell carrier with the Tek-Lok, and it fits nicely on the front, right next to the belt buckle. So I guess now, I have no excuse to not attend a local 3 gun match, and embarrass myself in public. I've embarrassed myself in private enough as it is...

I do have a short video on the belt, but it was just a quick one to test out a new camera, and I needed a test subject. It's also been through a few changes since then. Here it is if you want to see it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgrFfyLLatQ

I'm glad I went with the battle belt, if for nothing else, how easy and quick it is to put on for quick dry fire drills. I made up a few videos for pistol and rifle dry fire drills, with transition to secondary, mag changes etc... and it's easy to walk in, sling it around my fat belly, and start training. Of course I could have done that with just my already owned inner belt, but this one looks much cooler, and we all know it's all about how cool you look right. Here's a recent pic of it in case you care.
image.jpg
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:18 pm

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... belts-gray

You can get 10 East German combat belts for $13.49. :)
yuppiejr

Postby Duane J on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:36 am

Scratch wrote:And I suppose I'll post a follow up too...

I decided to go with the battle belt. An HSGI Suregrip battle belt. I already had a 2" inner belt with a Fastech buckle on it, so I used that to save some money. I figured I could always use my spare 1.5" Cobra belt if I wanted that type of buckle, or just order a 2" Cobra buckle, since the belt I had was fine. It turns out it wasn't long until I really needed the Cobra buckle, as the Fastech buckle didn't always hold, so I ordered one for it.

I got two of the HSGI Double decker taco pouches, and two of their single mag tacos also. I love those pouches. Very secure grip on the mags, but easy to pull out. I use the double deckers for my mags, and the singles for my light and multi tool. I also have an Emdomm/MM dump pouch out back. I can fit almost two full bags of lollipops, and all my knitting gear in there so I got that going for me...

I also went with the G-Code SOC Rig holster. It came with cowlings for my G17 with and without the WML, but I don't know if I'll ever use it without the light... Who knows... Nice to have options right? I really love the holster. The "push down" thumb break retention took about 30 minutes of getting used to, and now is pretty much invisible to me.

I also wanted to put on some type of fixed blade. I think I have a thread on that issue too somewhere... but since I haven't made up my mind yet, I temporarily attached my cheesy Bear Grylls Knife on there. Don't judge me...

I did not go with any type of a med kit, bleeder kit, whatever. Not yet. I have plenty of room for one, and will probably end up with one of the taller slimline pouches, but I'm in no hurry yet. If I bleed out, I bleed out. I've had a decent life so far.

I was also able to fit a shotgun shell carrier on the belt, in case my two gun adventures, turn into using three guns. I got a good deal on the Gunner Solutions EZ8 shell carrier with the Tek-Lok, and it fits nicely on the front, right next to the belt buckle. So I guess now, I have no excuse to not attend a local 3 gun match, and embarrass myself in public. I've embarrassed myself in private enough as it is...

I do have a short video on the belt, but it was just a quick one to test out a new camera, and I needed a test subject. It's also been through a few changes since then. Here it is if you want to see it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgrFfyLLatQ

I'm glad I went with the battle belt, if for nothing else, how easy and quick it is to put on for quick dry fire drills. I made up a few videos for pistol and rifle dry fire drills, with transition to secondary, mag changes etc... and it's easy to walk in, sling it around my fat belly, and start training. Of course I could have done that with just my already owned inner belt, but this one looks much cooler, and we all know it's all about how cool you look right. Here's a recent pic of it in case you care.
image.jpg

Your range sounds killer. If you ever want company, I'd be delighted to see it!
Duane Johnson
Instructor - Founder
Firearms Education and Readiness
http://www.fear-mn.com
Duane J

Postby jshuberg on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:31 pm

My cat decided to take a dump on my dump pouch, so I decided to put together a new belt:

Wow that's a crappy picture. I'll have to post a better one at some point...

Belt details:
HSGI Suregrip Padded Belt
HSGI COBRA 1.75" Riggers belt w/ interior velcro
HSGI TACO pistol pouch X3
HSGI TACO double decker pouch X2
HSGI MAG-NET dump pouch
HSGI M3T Medical Pouch
Safariland 6075UBL low ride universal belt loop
Safariland 6378 USN ALS low signature holster
Sig Sauer P226 Elite Stainless Pistol

Med pouch details:
SOF tactical tourniquet wide
H&H Medical TK-4L one handed compression strap
H&H Medical Thin H compression bandage
H&H Medical PriMed compressed gauze X2
H&H Medical chest wound seal duo
H&H Medical tension pneumothorax needle
QuickClot EMS rolled gauze X2
1 pair nitrile gloves
Medical scissors
Bic Lighter

The 3 pistol pouches are for a light, multitool, and folding knife. I'm not a fan of the HSGI Dump Pouch. I'm thinking of replacing it with an Emdom pouch, modified for installation below the AR mag pouches on the side. Other than that, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's a heavy 13.2lbs fully loaded with pistol and ammo, but is comfortable enough that I don't notice the weight. I ordered a FireSLEEVE for the lighter but they haven't started shipping yet.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:46 pm

I've been using an Emdom-MM dump pouch for a couple years now, and it's by far the best dump pouch I've used. You won't be disappointed.
UnaStamus

Postby Scratch on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Duane J wrote:Your range sounds killer. If you ever want company, I'd be delighted to see it!

Wait until this freaking snow goes away... Then I'll see if I can get something together.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories