Suggest a survival knife

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Suggest a survival knife

Postby Scratch on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions for a good fixed blade knife.

I'm really hoping to get something that will act as kind of a survival knife. Not that I am in survival situations often... (ok ever...) or even go camping much anymore, but I used to go camping a lot, and still really enjoy it. Who knows... Maybe I'll get the chance to go back to the BWCA for a week long camping trip like I've done so many times in my past, so I'd like to get something of good quality and highly useful.

For now, I'll probably put it on my battle belt since I'll be using that more than my internal frame packs that have been collecting dust for so many years. I want something that has multiple uses and is versatile, not just a good blade. I'm looking for extra features that I may never use, but would be nice to have... Just in case.

I've been looking at the TOPS Tahoma field knife http://www.inner-bark.com/#!product/prd1/2417251521/tops-tahoma-field-knife and really like it, but it's a little bigger than I was hoping for. I like the hook on the back of the blade, the bow drill spindle socket, the bullet puller, the brybar, the backup edge, and the versatile ways to grip the knife for chopping, fine carving, etc... I'm just not sure I want something so big. I realize that one of the reasons I like this knife is that it will be a good chopping knife, and the large size makes that possible, but I'd like to hear some other options.

I already have a Gerber bear Grylls knife, (don't judge me... It was free) that I like... I'm just thinking about getting something else. I don't care that my Gerber is a sell out from Bear Grylls, and actually like the orange color since it would be harder to lose. So if I had my choice of the Bear Grylls or the LMF II, I'd choose the Bear Grylls, but I've heard that the steel of that knife isn't the best quality, and I don't want a serrated edge like it has.

I do like the Kabar TDI knife with its MOLLE Kydex sheath, and small size perfect for a battle belt, but I'm not sure I like the angled blade design. Plus it's really designed for a fighting blade which I feel is not of great importance to me. I'd rather have something more versatile.

Although in reality.... I'll probably be using it mostly to carve marshmallow roasting sticks, so I really don't need anything more than my Kershaw pocket folder which is my EDC. I just feel like I should get a higher quality knife than what I have now.

Any opinions on some type of a fixed blade, multi-use survival type knife, that is small enough to be put on a battle belt, but large enough to perform camping type tasks? Im looking to spend no more than 200.00 of this knife.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Suggest a survival knife

Postby gaberelli on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Sounds like a completely reasonable purchase to me. If I were buying a knife in that range for your listed purposes, I would look hard at the ESEE 3 or 4 and the Benchmade Bushcrafter.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
gaberelli

Suggest a survival knife

Postby gun_fan111 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 pm

I keep eyeing this one, but they make a bunch of nice knives http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/rodent-5/
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: Suggest a survival knife

Postby hunterfreakhd on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm

I carry an Emerson coq 11 so I don't need a fixed blade for camping. It does everything I need and more. But when I bought a fixed blade for camping I went with Ontario.
https://ontarioknife.com/fixed-blades
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Suggest a survival knife

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:19 am

I recently stocked up on fixed blades, but haven't used any of them for camping yet. I got a Ka-Bar classic Marine Corps style, a Cold Steel (don't remember the model) and a SOG Seal. All three seem like they would last many years of hard use. They are all supposed to be made from good steel. The Cold Steel is the nicest looking one, with a fine grind finish.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby old guy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:32 am

I long ago discovered that I have very little use for a large fixed blade,(I have a few) but I never go in the woods without a little folding seirra saw stuck in my back pocket or in my hunting fanny pack, with a folding knife in my pocket, a leatherman wave on my belt and a 26" single bit cruiser axe I can live forever.

John
old guy

Suggest a survival knife

Postby LumberZach on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:04 am

Sog seal pup doesn't have all the features, but is cheaper and they work well. Anything ka bar would probably go well too. I usually like mora knives for in the woods stuff, but you will certainly need a new sheath if you are putting it on a belt
LumberZach

Suggest a survival knife

Postby LumberZach on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:05 am

Sog seal pup doesn't have all the features, but is cheaper and they work well. Anything ka bar would probably go well too. I usually like mora knives for in the woods stuff, but you will certainly need a new sheath if you are putting it on a belt
LumberZach

Postby RobD on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:59 pm

When Im bushcrafting, i typically have a Mora (Which is the best knife for the money, bar none), a pack saw, and a Grandfors Burks Small Forest Axe.

With those 3 I can do anything. The problem when you try to get one tool to do everything, You end up doing none of them particularly well or efficiently.

If im trying to go lighter in the woods, ill bring the Mora, a pocket saw, and a tomahawk head, and fashion a handle in the woods.

If I could only bring 1 tool,(and I knew that I would need to be processing wood) Id bring my Becker BK 2. Its a beast, and can baton like a champ. Its not the best at fine tasks like feather sticks, but it will get the job done.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Suggest a survival knife

Postby gaberelli on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:35 pm

RobD wrote:When Im bushcrafting, i typically have a Mora (Which is the best knife for the money, bar none), a pack saw, and a Grandfors Burks Small Forest Axe.

With those 3 I can do anything. The problem when you try to get one tool to do everything, You end up doing none of them particularly well or efficiently.

If im trying to go lighter in the woods, ill bring the Mora, a pocket saw, and a tomahawk head, and fashion a handle in the woods.

If I could only bring 1 tool,(and I knew that I would need to be processing wood) Id bring my Becker BK 2. Its a beast, and can baton like a champ. Its not the best at fine tasks like feather sticks, but it will get the job done.

Agreed on all fronts. I didn't even think to mention the Mora because I have so many of them. I keep them in every kit (vehicle, hunting pack, camping gear, fishing gear and on workbenches). The Mora is a given.

I also have a BK2 and take that when I don't want the bulk of an axe. It is a BEAST though. That and a bushcraft knife would be a good pair in a bind.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
gaberelli

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Another vote for a Mora knife ($10 to $20 depending on style, color and blade thickness), paired with a Sven Lightweight Backpacking Saw (around $40) as a very versatile duo in the woods. The Cold Steel Frontier Hawk or Tail Hawk tomahawks are a great addition to make it a trio for chopping/splitting work and they are a great value at $25. Like Rob said, simply stash the head in your pack and the handle strapped to the outside and you are good to go. Put the head on the handle for chopping or keep them separate and use the head as a wedge to split larger bits of wood. If the handle breaks you can simply fashion a new one with the head and get back up and chopping in no time. You could get all 3 for less than $100 shipped between eBay and Amazon.

I'd also give a nod to the Gerber Gator Jr. Machette as a fantastic sub $20 field tool which I usually carry hunting to clean up shooting lanes.

The lightweight Fiskars hatchet is also worth a look, while heavier and more expensive than the tomahawks it's better at splitting really tough wood or larger logs. My brother in law carries one religiously on his week long Boundry Waters backpacking excursions and swears by it.
yuppiejr

Suggest a survival knife

Postby ZardozCZ on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Instead of spending $120 on a fancy name, get half a dozen Mora Knivs and stick one in the toolbox, bugout bag, tackle box, range bag, glove box, and one for your belt. Darn tough edge keeping carbon steel knives you'll be hard pressed to destroy, and not too broke up if you do, or lose it. You'll have spares!
ZardozCZ

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:01 am

I think the Mora 2000 is my favorite all around knife these days. It's stainless, no rusting or staining. The sheath doesn't offer much retention but you can get a kydex sheath for it.
Jackpine Savage

Postby kowalzekc on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Well if you can set aside the features of that knife that you will likely never use, I recommend a old hickory carbon steel butchers knife. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KKIT8 ... ref=plSrch

You will save a ton off money. I believe I have one that I keep fairly handy. The 90 deg spine with strike a spark, the handles are easy to replace. The design is that of a utility minded person. the blade takes and holds a greT edge. Only down is the blade has no finish so it will rust.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby yang on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:57 am

I just ordered me a Tops Rhino this morning. :)
yang

Next

Return to Accessories