Best Value Scope Recommendation for Appleseed .22lr

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Postby linksep on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:22 am

I'm strongly considering doing an Appleseed event this summer and I'm also leaning towards Tech-Sights, however my eyes aren't what they used to be (read: I know I need glasses but refuse to get them because that would mean I'm old and I can still pass the DMV vision exam). I need a scope recommendation in case I decide to go glass instead of iron (and to recommend to a couple people that are decades my senior that may join me at the Appleseed event).

I do not subscribe to the "spend more on your glass than you spent on your rifle" theory. I'm looking for value in the $100 or less range. I'm guessing a $7 Tasco is junk, and I am equally unwilling to consider a $225-$1,200 Nikon ProStaff or Burris/Luepold/Zeiss scope due to their price-points.

What do you recommend? Something in the $30 range that is equal to scopes in the $80 range? A $7 Tasco fixed 4x scope? Something int the $80 range that is vastly superior to anything in the $40 range?
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:55 am

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/hawke-sport- ... 32-ao.html

For the price the Hawke offers decent quality and features, notably the adjustable objective. A lot of rimfire and air gun shooters recommend their products, check eBay for better pricing, you should be able to get one for $70 shipped. The adjustable objective feature will be important at the distance you are shooting since most scopes come with fixed parallax at 50-100 yards:

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_ ... er_2005/25

HOWEVER, I would not discount the tech sights outright. For what it's worth, I have very poor vision in my right eye (20/100 with a fixed focal length, artificial inner-ocular lens installed 22 years ago) but I shoot irons right handed and have acquitted myself reasonably well at both Appleseed and CMP clinics at 25-400 yards using them. I can't shoot post/notch leaf sights worth a damn but the qualities of a rear aperture sight are a form of optical "magic" that do more than just extend the sight radius on a rifle and I use them on all of my rimfire and some centerfire rifles.

More info on how this works:

q: I am short-sighted. However, if I remove my glasses and peer through a tiny hole made between my fingers, or a pinhole in a piece of card, I can read signs from an even greater distance than with my glasses on. Why is that?

a: "The same effect is produced when a photographer "stops down" a camera lens - that is, reduces its aperture. Stopping down decreases the degree of blur caused when an object is out of focus. The smaller the aperture, the sharper an object appears.

An object is blurry if the light from it is not focused to a precise point on the focal plane, be that the retina in your eye or some film. Instead, the focal point converges in front of or behind this plane, which is what happens in short and long-sightedness - known as myopia and hyperopia, respectively. In these cases, where the light cone from the lens intersects this plane it forms a disc, not a point (see first Diagram). This disc of light is called a "circle of confusion" (CoC) and thousands of such overlapping discs on the focal plane make for a blurry sight.

As the diameter of a lens aperture reduces, so does the diameter of the CoCs, because blocking light from the outer parts of the lens makes the cone of light narrower (see second Diagram).

Smaller CoCs give a sharper image. Out-of-focus objects viewed through a pinhole therefore contain greater clarity of detail and appear sharper at the focal plane. This occurs naturally too. Many slightly short-sighted people will tell you they can see well in bright sunlight, but in twilight their vision is blurred. This is because the eye's iris contracts in bright light to make the pupil diameter small. This shrinks the CoCs, sharpening objects usually out of focus. In twilight, the iris dilates and blurring increases.

Interestingly, the questioner says that his vision is better with his unaided but "stopped down" eyes than it is with his spectacles. I suspect his prescription is out of date. Another possibility is that the periphery of his cornea or lens may be causing localised distortions or light scatter that cannot be corrected with spectacles. Stopping down would remove these distortions, leaving only the clearer (but dimmer) image from the central retina."

<source> http://www.newscientist.com/blog/lastwo ... specs.html
yuppiejr

Re: Best Value Scope Recommendation for Appleseed .22lr

Postby igofast on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:43 am

You don't want something high magnification for Appleseed. If you go variable 3-4x is going to be the vary top and only really helpful when prone. According to Midway there are a couple 1-4 power scopes in the sub $100 range. I don't have any experience with the specific ones listed - so can't state how good they are(I will say I have sworn off BSA scopes forever, even on a .22).

Instead of a scope, you may also want to consider a red dot. Primary Arms dot's are generally well regarded and in your price range. I'm also a big fan of the Bushnell TRS-25, which you can generally find for ~$60 when it goes on sale.
igofast

Postby 870TC on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:03 am

Bushnell has a Rimfire line of scopes. I bought the 3x9 Bushnell Rimfire at Wolfs Den a couple years ago for around $45, have been very happy with it.
Several friends of mine are using Mueller scopes on there .22's, they seem like a good option also.
870TC

Postby bman940 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Maybe you like it maybe you don't.....
Nikon just started a PROMO where if you buy a M or P Series scope you get a free mount.

For your needs, I would suggest you look at the P-223 3X Carbine scope. It is a fixed scope with a large obj. for great light gathering/field of view and clear.
I have 50+ year old eye's and this is one of my favorite scopes. I can bang 8 inch steal plates at 200 yards all day without eye strain or misses because I"m not sure what I am looking at.
Scope retails for $149, mount is $50 retail so you save some $ and get a better scope. Not much more you could step up to a 3-9.
Just throwing it out there and you can do with it what you want.
Hope this info helps?
bman940

Postby AFTERMATH on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:53 pm

If you can pass the DMV exam and can clearly see your front sight, you can do irons. Don't fret the fuzzy targets.

I don't know brands/models well enough to give a recommendation, run of the mill .22lr special scopes tend to work just fine.
But I can tell you what you need and don't need.

Not a big deal:
3x is more than enough magnification. Optical clarity isn't a big issue. As long as the reticle's clear and you can see through it, you're good to go. You don't need exceptional light gathering properties, or a gigantic field of view. Small objectives are fine. Parallax adjustment is a plus, but not necessary if you can keep a consistent cheek weld. Many set parallax scopes advertised for .22lr's already have it preset at 25-50 yards.

Kinda a Big deal:
The scope needs to be rather robust - It doesn't have to take a hammer hit, but it does have to hold zero and not fall apart on you. Most of the common brands will do well enough in this regard. It should have repeatable/positive click windage and elevation adjustments. Longer eye-relief is generally better - mount it forward for the prone position.

Really, most people do fine with the cheap $30 scopes. If you get one, try it out before the event. Check to ensure it holds zero, can adjust and be adjusted back in the same number of clicks.

The two most common scope fails are:
Mounts - pay more attention to the mounting system than to the scope itself. Weaver/picatinny are much better than the 3/8 dovetail commonly used. If you've got it mounted where you like it, don't be afraid of a little loctite.

Batteries - if batteries are necessary for operation. Bring extra. If it's cold, keep them in your pocket.

Keep it simple, in the Appleseed model, the .22lr is for practice. It's a tool by which to learn the fundamentals, practice them and transfer them to a centerfire rifle.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby linksep on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I was leaning toward Tech-Sights and I think that's the ticket for me. I'll be referring back to this if I decide to get a scoped .22 or if another potential Appleseed attendee wants to use glass. Now I guess I better start ordering stuff...slings and swivels and Tech-Sights, oh my!
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby AFTERMATH on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:20 pm

linksep wrote:Thanks for the info guys! I was leaning toward Tech-Sights and I think that's the ticket for me. I'll be referring back to this if I decide to get a scoped .22 or if another potential Appleseed attendee wants to use glass. Now I guess I better start ordering stuff...slings and swivels and Tech-Sights, oh my!

Just remembered, I believe TS has a new-ish model rear sight with a built in scope rail - In the end, you could do both.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Return to Accessories