cantilevered AR scope rings

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:09 am

So, I've just acquired my first AR and intend to use it for predator hunting (Bushmaster Predator). I have a Nikon Buckmaster scope to put on it and have been researching scope rings. I'm noticing a trend out there that uses a cantilevered scope mount/ring combo that allows you to push the scope out over the barrel, I assume, to provide eye relief. I'm heading out this weekend to do some duck/pheasant hunting out west and intend to bring some rifles to sight in for deer season and hopefully mount the scope and sight it in. I need the Rings to do that. I will be purchasing in the next 2-3 days.

Should I be looking at the Cantilevered design? Any reasonably priced (sub $100) suggestions? should I consider spending more and why?

Am I OK buying this at a big box retail or is there a better source? I will likely hit Cabela's in Rogers on the way out of town on Friday AM and will have access to Goose Hill and Fleet Farm in Alexandria.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: cantilevered AR scope rings

Postby shooter115 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:44 am

There are two big variables there, including the eye relief of the scope and your shooting style. Being your first AR, the latter is probably undetermined as of yet.

In the sub $100 mark, I've had really good luck with the ultralight mount from Aero Precision. I've got one on my lightweight 3gun rifle and in 2 years of pretty harsh abuse I haven't taken the scope caps off once.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts.html
shooter115

Postby LumberZach on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 am

Nikon 223 series mount is probably what you want for $100ish. A 1 piece is better, but I doubt you'd notice a difference buying the cheaper 2 piece design.
LumberZach

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:44 am

The Burris PEPR mount is a good "economy" mount that you can probably find around the metrol.
Most stores around here don't have the quality mounts that are at the top, like ADM, Alamo Four Star, Bobro, GDI, Badger Ordnance, etc.
Most mounts are decent if you put them on correctly, apply blue threadlocker/Loctite, torque them down correctly to the right specs, use a paint pen to make witness marks on the screws, and leave the mount there and don't fiddle with it.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:52 am

Need any BBQ rub? $160 +shipping without QD levers.

Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:31 pm

so, the cantilevered rings are the way to go? I see from the Cabela's website that they have the one piece cantilevered rings for sale, I suppose they may or may not have them on the shelves. Any reason to go with a longer than 2 inch overhang?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby shooter115 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Ghost wrote:Need any BBQ rub? $160 +shipping without QD levers.

You forgot the armadillos, bumper stickers and pocket constitutions. Larue makes good mounts. I've got an LT-139 on another 3gun set up and going on 3 years without touching the turret caps on that rifle. Not sure if they are worth the cabbage though and they are way outside the OP's stated budget.
shooter115

Postby MJY65 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:47 pm

I think it may be a fad as much as a trend. Unless you are using a scope with very restricted ring space, it may not be necessary to cantilever at all. It seems like the fascination with cantilevered rings started about the same time that the magazine gurus started holding the rifle with their off hand out at the end of an extended hand guard. That position gets you in a goofy head forward position and needs a scope out in front, too.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:12 pm

shooter115 wrote:
Ghost wrote:Need any BBQ rub? $160 +shipping without QD levers.

You forgot the armadillos, bumper stickers and pocket constitutions. Larue makes good mounts. I've got an LT-139 on another 3gun set up and going on 3 years without touching the turret caps on that rifle. Not sure if they are worth the cabbage though and they are way outside the OP's stated budget.

Good points on the other swag. I've got the 104's and take them on and off all the time. Never had any issue with RTZ. Their customer service is amazing. I've sent off an email to change an order and the adjusted price transaction popped up on my phone within 2 minutes of sending the email. With optics and mounts you usually get what you pay for it's just finding where you cross into diminishing returns that matters. I'll only buy LaRue as I have no reason to buy anything else.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:15 pm

MJY65 wrote:I think it may be a fad as much as a trend. Unless you are using a scope with very restricted ring space, it may not be necessary to cantilever at all. It seems like the fascination with cantilevered rings started about the same time that the magazine gurus started holding the rifle with their off hand out at the end of an extended hand guard. That position gets you in a goofy head forward position and needs a scope out in front, too.

For me it is more proper mounting height. Otherwise you are a bit trial and error with rings and risers.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 pm

While I have cantilevered mounts on several of my AR's, I only use them with lighter weight scopes.

The 30mm tube Leupold Mark 4's or NightForce 5.5X22X56 scopes are just too heavy and too long for such a lightweight mounting system. Thus a generic answer to your question is not possible.

Some cantilever mounting systems are a real pain to mount accurately with an intention of RTZ being repeatable upon removal.
Do your research, think about your application, make a decision, and review your decision to ensure the assembly properly fits your application.
OldmanFCSA

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:43 pm

So the Nikon scope mounted on a predator hunting AR shouldn't have a cantilever mount? What's the formula or do you have to buy a bunch of mounts and try them out to see which fits? Seems expensive as time consuming to rely on trial and error.

Thanks for the input.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby striped1 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:59 pm

It is more dependent on your preferred length of pull and the eye relief of the scope. I have a vortex Razor HD 1-6 mounted in a Bobro cantilever mount. The mount has great repeatibility or rtz and excellent ability to be mounted forward due to the RAzor's eye relief.

That being said, I have Larue as well and wouldn't hesitate to mount a scope in a Larue.

The aero precision mounts have been well received in the 3 gun world and are priced right at under $100 and hold up well, I don't first hand experience with them but a lot of guys have gone to them this year due to the weight savings and price.
striped1

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Sorry guys - forgot to mention that I have a length of pull issue also seeing as I'm 6'8" and have a 7'3" wingspan, thus I run spacers in my buttstock to increase length of pull. This helps to prevent mounting the scopes too far forward.

Trigger finger to inside elbow measures 18.5 inches for us normal sized shooters.
OldmanFCSA

Postby cs tunes on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 am

It really comes down to eye relief and what your eyes require to get it correct with that particular optic. It will change depending on the position you intend to shoot in, prone will very likely require the optics be mounted further forward than bench shooting. LOP on your stock will also affect where it ends up being mounted (or how much you're willing to strain to work around it). I would say as a general rule, you will probably find the rear of the scope very near the charging handle as a good starting point for positioning. If you hold your scope in that location, will the front of the tube be supported by the rail if you use rings only or will it require a small amount of forward cant? Height is also a consideration if you are using a scope with a large objective (50mm +). Cabelas should have the PEPR mount on the shelf (or they did not long ago) and for this general purpose I would say it's a good fit.
cs tunes

Next

Return to Accessories