Prairie dog scope questions

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Prairie dog scope questions

Postby shooter115 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:45 pm

I have both a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 30mm tube and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with a 30mm tube. Both scopes share the same target dot reticle. Although it's kind of a kick in the gut to admit it, the Vortex has better glass than the Leupold at extended range. The adjustment click are definitely crisper on the the Leupold, but both seem to be repeatable and accurate.
shooter115

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:33 am

shooter115 wrote:I have both a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 30mm tube and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with a 30mm tube. Both scopes share the same target dot reticle. Although it's kind of a kick in the gut to admit it, the Vortex has better glass than the Leupold at extended range. The adjustment click are definitely crisper on the the Leupold, but both seem to be repeatable and accurate.

What model year VX3?
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:25 am

I did pull the trigger on a good holiday deal on the VX3-L with the varmint hunters reticle, 6.5-20x56 30mm.
Had it out to OGC a couple weekends ago on a cz527 .204ruger. Worked up to the 200 meter. Very pleased with the performance of the set up. I think it will work for pdogs.
Holland&Holland

Postby shooter115 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:00 am

UnaStamus wrote:
shooter115 wrote:I have both a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 30mm tube and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with a 30mm tube. Both scopes share the same target dot reticle. Although it's kind of a kick in the gut to admit it, the Vortex has better glass than the Leupold at extended range. The adjustment click are definitely crisper on the the Leupold, but both seem to be repeatable and accurate.

What model year VX3?

I would guess it's about 5-6 years old. Can't say 100%, as it was on a rifle my dad built for me as a gift. Don't get me wrong, it's a great optic. But what I can tell you is I've had them side by side and with one I could see bullet holes at 400 yards and with the other I could not. The Lupy might pick up more light, it may be less susceptible to mirage.....I don't know, but on the one bright sunny day I had both rifles to the range, the $400 Vortex Viper bested the $900 Leupold on optical clarity.
shooter115

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:35 pm

You most likely can. The VX-3 you have is different from the ones they have now as all Leupold scopes have been updated with better performance.
Reason why I mention this is because I used to have a Viper PST and I was unhappy with resolution at max magnification when compared to a Leupold. Just thinking that it is a factor in this instance. Whatever, just thinking out loud.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Previous

Return to Accessories