Fobus Paddle Holster

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Fobus Paddle Holster

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:55 pm

I recently purchased from Midway a Fobus paddle holster for my G26. When I received it, the retention was crazy tight. I read somewhere that if you use a hair dryer or heat gun you can manipulate the Kydex. I cranked the tension screw down and hit the unloaded gun and holster with the heat gun with a clamp to hold the split portion of the trigger guard closed. I let it cool and loosened the tension screw and it works fine. My comment is that I find it strange that a holster that is supposedly designed for a particular model wouldn't arrive pre formed and functional. I have to put some work into getting it to fit properly. I thought about sending it back but I only paid $19 for it and the time and cost to send it was more than I was interested in.

Anyone else have similar issues? should I have "fixed it" some other way?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Fobus Paddle Holster

Postby EAJuggalo on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:36 am

I believe Fobus just finds a size close to a particular gun and starts marketing it for that gun whether it actually fits or not. I never had any issues with the retention on the weapon, I had problems with the retention on the paddle. I couldn't remove the damn thing from my belt without stripping down. If you want an actual useful Fobus holster look into the IWB they have for small frame Glocks. I thought mine was fantastic and used it just about every day when I had my G31.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Hmac on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:51 am

When you're selling your holsters for $19, you have to cut corners somewhere.
Hmac

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:38 pm

^this.

Fobus is not known for great quality. I have seen a lot of them break because their polymer tends to be rigid and brittle, making it prone to cracking. I have actually broken one. The polymer they use is lower quality compared to the polymer or kydex mixtures used by higher end holster makers. Companies that use higher quality kydex don't have this same problem because kydex is more pliable, stronger and more durable.

The way to "fix" a Fobus holster is to replace it with a better holster.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Fobus Paddle Holster

Postby LumberZach on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 am

Since we are on the subject, is it acceptable to wear the paddle outside of your pants? So inside the belt, but sticking out of your jeans. I can't tell you how much I've been seeing this lately, but it dawned on me that maybe I'm not the one most schooled in paddle holsters. I always thought it was best to put the whole paddle inside my pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Hmac on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 am

LumberZach wrote:Since we are on the subject, is it acceptable to wear the paddle outside of your pants? So inside the belt, but sticking out of your jeans. I can't tell you how much I've been seeing this lately, but it dawned on me that maybe I'm not the one most schooled in paddle holsters. I always thought it was best to put the whole paddle inside my pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's designed to go inside of your pants, but I don't think there are any rules. If it's just the belt only then I suppose it would have more of a tendency to flop since the paddle is only braced on one side.
Hmac

Postby azonesolutions on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 am

Fobus, the Hi-Point of holsters.
azonesolutions

Postby andrewP on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:01 pm

UnaStamus wrote:The way to "fix" a Fobus holster is to replace it with a better holster.

Yup, and there are even high quality options on a close-to-Fobus budget:

http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/VersaClip_p_16.html

(I have several mag pouches and a holster from CCC, and they're all excellent.)
andrewP

Postby 45Badger on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm an Alessi and Sparks addict. But when I go plastic, I use Fobus. Cheap, works, never a problem.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Hmac on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:52 am

45Badger wrote:I' But when I go plastic, I use Fobus. Cheap, works, never a problem.

I know a guy that loves his Hi-Point. "Never a problem", he says.
Hmac

Postby 45Badger on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:21 am

Hmac wrote:
45Badger wrote:I' But when I go plastic, I use Fobus. Cheap, works, never a problem.

I'm not that guy. Selective quoting will get you that. I think the first part of my statement pretty clearly identifies my quality choices to a reasonably informed individual 8-) .

I've got a couple Fobus holsters for 1911 and G19 that have a decade or more of regular (if casual) competition and occasional carry use. Sometimes, cheap stuff works. It's definitely not as tacti-cool as other options and is not as pretty as quality leather.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Hmac on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:59 am

45Badger wrote:
Hmac wrote:

I'm not that guy. Selective quoting will get you that. I think the first part of my statement pretty clearly identifies my quality choices to a reasonably informed individual 8-) .

I've got a couple Fobus holsters for 1911 and G19 that have a decade or more of regular (if casual) competition and occasional carry use. Sometimes, cheap stuff works. It's definitely not as tacti-cool as other options and is not as pretty as quality leather.

If by "tacti-cool" you mean "well-designed and reliable", then I'll agree with you.
Hmac

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Fobus is "never a problem" unless someone tries to grab the gun from you and rips the holster into pieces and right off the belt.

See this? I've seen this...

http://youtu.be/oDeKtgkZKmQ
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Squib Joe on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:01 pm

I've seen too many pistols get stuck... I mean really stuck.. in Fobus holsters.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Hmac on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Squib Joe wrote:I've seen too many pistols get stuck... I mean really stuck.. in Fobus holsters.

Well...at least they aren't tacti-cool.
Hmac

Next

Return to Accessories