gun safe dehumidifiers

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

gun safe dehumidifiers

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:56 pm

looking for suggestions. 42 gun fire rated but appears the fire rating messes with how air tight they are without fire to expand the seals. This means recharging dessicant dehumidifiers minimum of weekly. golden rod type heater or?????
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: gun safe dehumidifiers

Postby Ghost on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:19 pm

I run a golden rod in mine and haven't had any rust issues.
Ghost

gun safe dehumidifiers

Postby LumberZach on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:03 pm

I did a golden rod for a while, but didn't really like the idea of the whole thing. I've got two of those rechargeable desiccant packs in my safe and I've been happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Peet warm air convection safe de humidifier. You will need to punch out a plug to run electricity.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:19 am

LumberZach wrote:I did a golden rod for a while, but didn't really like the idea of the whole thing. I've got two of those rechargeable desiccant packs in my safe and I've been happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand why you don't like the idea of a golden rod? We use heating elements in multimillion dollar electrical enclosures where I work and these are placed offshore (ocean) in a much harsher environments than your house. They perform the same function which is to raise the temperature of the air inside the safe lowering the relative humidity and reducing the likelihood of condensation.

Having both the rod and dessicant is likely a good way to go even if it is a belt and suspenders situation.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:15 am

yukonjasper wrote:Peet warm air convection safe de humidifier. You will need to punch out a plug to run electricity.

Agreed. I use a Peet Gun Safe dryer...convection heater. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048 ... UTF8&psc=1
Hmac

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:41 am

I've got a Browning 40 gun safe. My safe sits on the carpet on top of concrete so it conducts quite a bit of cold in the winter. I've got two golden rods in there (24" and 18") and a 750 gram container of desiccant. In the winter I need both rods but in the summer the 18" gets turned off. I only need to dry the desiccant every 4-6 months. I'm convinced the combination of the two is the way to go if you don't want to constantly be drying desiccant.

But I would get the rod for one reason and that's condensation. What happens to a cold can of beer when you take it out? Moisture condenses on it. You want the inside of your safe just a few degrees above ambient. If it's below ambient inside and it is humid outside the safe what do you think is going to happen to the metal on your guns when you open the safe?
grimbeaver

Postby 870TC on Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:04 am

I have never used a golden rod or desiccant packs, never found a need. My safe sits in a basement that is not very warm or dry. I just keep the guns wiped off with a quality gun oil or better yet RIG, applied with a RIG rag.
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning ... rease.aspx
870TC

Return to Accessories