Truck lock box replacement?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Truck lock box replacement?

Postby Chunkychuck on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:35 am

I currently have two of the cable attached lock boxes that I use in my vehicles to store my handguns on those occasions I can't carry into my destination. My Ram 3500 has two storage compartments on either side in the floor board of the back seat that are covered by the full size floor mat. Tuffy makes a lockable steel lid replacement for the plastic lid which uses the existing mounting holes so no drilling is necessary. The cover overlaps the screws so they are protected. Has anyone installed these or any comments would be appreciated. I know some type of cushioning would be needed if I decided to use the box while moving.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-509-ram- ... y-lid.aspx
Chunkychuck

Re: Truck lock box replacement?

Postby farmerj on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:52 am

Kewl concept, but I'd want two matched locks on it so that you would have more security. seems like you could pry one corner up rather easily.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Chunkychuck on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:44 am

farmerj wrote:Kewl concept, but I'd want two matched locks on it so that you would have more security. seems like you could pry one corner up rather easily.

I was wondering about prying the lid as well. It appears though that the lid has a lip that extends over the outer edge of mounting plate so that prying could only possibly occur by going under the base plate and pry the whole thing out, not just the lid.
Chunkychuck

Postby farmerj on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:50 am

I am guessing a pair of wonderbars would have you inside that thing in about 30 seconds.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:56 am

Can you put your existing boxes inside the floor box? Nothing is going to be 100%, putting an existing box inside the lockable floor box would be two layers of protection against the typical smash and grab robber.
Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Typical can't stop a real thief situation. Looks good enough to stop an amateur which is about all we can hope for. First they have to know it's there and then they have to know something is in there worth stealing and then they have to get it open before the owner comes back to his truck. Unless he has really cased you out should be good to go and if he was pro enough to have done that virtually nothing is going to stop him from getting what he is after.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Nougat on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:22 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Typical can't stop a real thief situation. Looks good enough to stop an amateur which is about all we can hope for. First they have to know it's there and then they have to know something is in there worth stealing and then they have to get it open before the owner comes back to his truck. Unless he has really cased you out should be good to go and if he was pro enough to have done that virtually nothing is going to stop him from getting what he is after.

they could take your whole truck easily enough? who sees you using it anyone?? could be a waste of money for unneeded protection?
Nougat

Return to Accessories