EDC flashlight suggestions

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

EDC flashlight suggestions

Postby Scratch on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:05 am

I'm looking for a new EDC flashlight, and I'm hoping you people can help me find it.
If I could design my own flashlight it would have these features, if you know of any that meet these requirements let me know.

1. Two controls. One should be a momentary button on the tail cap, for short pulses of activation of ONE MODE ONLY. If you push it till it clicks, it will stay on. The other separate control, selects the modes. You should be able to set the mode, and leave it for a year. When you come back to use it, it will be in the same mode you left it in. Preferably some sort of dial maybe...?

2. At least 3 modes of brightness. Around 100 lumens, 300 lumens, and 500 or higher lumens. (An infinite dial may be acceptable)

3. Reliable, good quality.

4. Pocket sized.

5. Waterproof to like 1 meter or so.

6. Drop resistant to like 6 feet or so.

Things I don't care about:
Type of battery
Belt clip
Plastic or aluminum
Strobe
Tactical bezel
Color
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: EDC flashlight suggestions

Postby Inspiribomb on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:12 am

I have a FourSevens Quark QP2l-X and love it. I am not entirely sure if it hits all of your requirements, but it's pretty close. "Burst" mode of nearly 800 lumens, moonlight mode (1 lumen?), momentary on, lots more. They are modular so you can change out bodies and heads as well. I keep mine in my nightstand and use it for camping, but have been seriously considering picking up another one. It runs on CR123's.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Erud on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:13 am

Erud

Postby Ironbear on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 am

The one that comes to mind as close to your requirements, is my EDC, the Sunwayman V11R with the AA extender
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?338094

Comments
• Been my EDC for nearly 2 years now, with zero problems.
• To get your upper end of bright, you will need to run LiPo batteries, either RCR or 14500.
• I don't know about the waterproof part.
• The level can be adjusted before turning on the light. This is one of my favorite features. It is on my nightstand. If I wake up at night, I can twist it to dim mode, then turn it on and not blind myself.
• I personally use AA NiMH. With CR123 is very noticeably brighter.
• My one quibble, is that the friction grease in the light-level ring didn't last, and the ring turns more easily then I would like.

This is the package I bought

Another useful staring place
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:15 am

Fenix PD-35

Yes, I sell them so I may be biased. But I have a couple of Surefires that cost twice as much and I still reach for the Fenix

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-l ... 60-lumens/
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby andrewP on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Inspiribomb wrote:I have a FourSevens Quark QP2l-X and love it. I am not entirely sure if it hits all of your requirements, but it's pretty close. "Burst" mode of nearly 800 lumens, moonlight mode (1 lumen?), momentary on, lots more. They are modular so you can change out bodies and heads as well. I keep mine in my nightstand and use it for camping, but have been seriously considering picking up another one. It runs on CR123's.

Love my FourSevens QTL. It goes everywhere with me. Hate that they got sued so they can't produce the models with the twist interface anymore. It doesn't hit the 500+ lumens that scratch was looking for, but it does pretty much everything else, and if you want more light output, you just buy the version that takes 2 CR123 batteries instead of 1, or buy a spare 2-battery body, and then you've got the best of both worlds: an easily pocket carryable light *and* a bigger, more powerful one.
andrewP

Postby 2in2out on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:43 pm

The Thrunite TN12-2016 has impressed me and is reasonably priced. My only concern with them is the communist nation they're made in. Quality is very good for the price, and that's why I have two of these.

I have an older Fenix that I still use on occasion, and they are an extremely good value across the lineup.

I'm buying an Olight S2R Baton (with magnetic end cap and charger) for the wife for Christmas, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one for myself after the holidays are over.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:09 pm

2in2out wrote:I'm buying an Olight S2R Baton (with magnetic end cap and charger) for the wife for Christmas, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one for myself after the holidays are over.

I have an S30R next to me right now. Was a gift and I really like the magnetic charger plus, IIRC, it runs on normal batteries if needed. But doesn't meet some of Scratch's wants.
Ghost

Re: EDC flashlight suggestion

Postby Scratch on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:47 am

I ended up with a Fenix PD32 and love it! It meets all my requirements and I got it used for 20 bucks! It's a two year old demo model that a dealer friend has been using. I got it in the middle of September or so, and have already broke it once, (my fault) sent it in, they sent it back repaired within a week, then I lost it under a couch for a week, took it camping, been deer hunting with it, -but it never got used to track a deer :( used it on a nighttime treasure hunt, found my kids lost retainer in a parking lot with it, and use it nightly to walk outside and fill our outdoor wood burner.

I think I'd also like to try the next sized smaller version of it next!

I have no complaints about it yet...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby TeeBee on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Olight S10R II.

http://goinggear.com/olight-s10r-ii-bat ... light.html

Been my carry light for the last year. Always have it on me.
Member GOCRA
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" -TJ
TeeBee

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Streamlight ProTac HL is another great option.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby gman1868 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 pm

I carry one of these:

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk09-led-flashlight-2016

Always comes on bright at 900 lumens. Tap to reduce to 450, then 50 lumens. Waterproof to IPX-8 standard, submersible to 2 meters. I like the simplicity, always 900 lumens on first press.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby jac714 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:59 pm

jac714

Return to Accessories