Your J FRAME IWB holster recommendations

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Your J FRAME IWB holster recommendations

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Howdy, looking for your help. What have you used and why do you like or dislike it. Thanks.

Summer weather is making OWB tough because I don't want to always have to wear a cover garment. Pocket carry isn't always possible, so looking for additional options.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Your J FRAME IWB holster recommendations

Postby striped1 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 am

Crossbreed Minituck and a really good belt. Very comfortable.
striped1

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank you for that.

I guess there aren't many people carrying their SW J-Frames IWB.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby westhope on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:53 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Thank you for that.

I guess there aren't many people carrying their SW J-Frames IWB.

I usually carried my J - frame in a in a pocket holster, no need for a cover garment.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm

I do also, but have been thinking more and more that the style of carry puts you in a bad position every time you are seated. Plus, the availability of deep pocketed shorts is limited so usually the butt end is sort of sticking out.

I was hoping for a good solution that would allow me to under hook a belt and only require a t-shirt to cover or be tuckable.

Maybe a belly band or Thunderwear is what I'm looking for.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby hammAR on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Thunderwear - yep.......... :cogitating:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ironbear on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm

I have a Side Guard, IWB, Double-clip with J-hooks instead of the clips now shown one the website.

It is easy to get on/off, stable, and comfortable. It was reasonably priced, and well made. I like the J-hooks because they are barely visible, but they can poke/scratch you/others if the angle gets right.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby westhope on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:10 pm

I pocket carried my J-frame for many years. I have used Mika, DeSantis, Uncle Mike's, Galco and other holsters. Really they all worked. The fabric holsters will loose their grip after a few years but are cheap and can be replaced. The leather Galco has hooks thay catch it when drawn. I wore either Wrangler blue jeans or Cabela's cargo shorts with no cover garment. The shape of the pocket bottom determines the style of pocket holster bottom. I used a round bottom holster in the jeans and a flat bottom holster (Galco) in the cargo shorts so the revolver is positioned properly in the pocket. It is possible if someone is standing directly to my strong side and looking down into my pocket, they may see the grip of the revolver in the cargo shorts. I would NEVER let a stranger get that close to me. Not so in the jean pocket.

I never tried an IWB holster for the J-frame since the cylinder would rest just under the belt, be uncomfortable and really stick out. I have a J-frame OWB holster for range work.

If I have a cover garment (a vest), I usually carry a 1911 IWB.

A year or so ago, I went to a Sig P938 to replace the J-frame. Similar manual of arms as the 1911 and has 2 more rounds. I carry it IWB or pocket carry.

I know the drawback of pocket carry when seated. If I'm in the car and concerned, I remove the revolver and holster and place them between the seat and console. Any method of carry will have some drawbacks in certain situations. The one situation I will not put myself into is NOT carrying where it is legal to carry.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Return to Accessories