Caldwell Lead Sled not AR compatible?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Caldwell Lead Sled not AR compatible?

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:48 pm

I have been tinkering with the AR setup with the Grendel Upper mounted. As I contemplated the bore sighting exercise I was going to have to complete here soon, I seated the AR completely into the Lead Sled and noticed that the pistol grip on the AR is long enough to interfere with the long tube that runs the length of the Sled. It forces the stock to slide mostly out of the rear mount. I have used that rest for some bolt sight in and range time, but this is a first for the AR. Don't think there is anything I can do about it, but just made the observation. Sort of a bummer since I was planning to use it for some range time to dial in that upper/scope combo.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Caldwell Lead Sled not AR compatible?

Postby MJY65 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm

I bought a Lead Sled and have only used it a couple of times. While it does absorb recoil, I find it dang near impossible to get the rifle positioned properly for maximum accuracy. Sandbags work much better for me when load development.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I think they make one for AR’s. I’ve never used one.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:52 pm

MJY65 wrote:I bought a Lead Sled and have only used it a couple of times. While it does absorb recoil, I find it dang near impossible to get the rifle positioned properly for maximum accuracy. Sandbags work much better for me when load development.

That would be my advice:
Bipod and rear sandbag is good enough for a .5 MOA rifle at 1k.... not that I do load development at 1k.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Heck just use sand bags. I have not used mine in years. Even with a hunting rifle, sandbags are more consistent.
Holland&Holland

Return to Accessories