Brod & Taylor pocket knife sharpener

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Brod & Taylor pocket knife sharpener

Postby jdege on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 am

I picked this up, the other day, and it works far better than I would have expected.

https://brodandtaylor.com/product/pocket-knife-sharpener/

It's not a replacement for my Lansky, but it's enormously better than any carbide draw-thru sharpener I've used before.

1. It has two sharpening surfaces, course and fine.
  2. The sharpening surfaces aren't fixed, they adjust to match the bevel of the knife
  3. The sharpening surfaces seem to cut better than the cheaper carbide sharpeners I've used, though that may just be a consequence of having them at the right angle.

B&T makes a couple of very fancy - and very expensive - countertop sharpeners. I've not used them. But this little pocket sharpener is reasonably priced.
jdege

Re: Brod & Taylor pocket knife sharpener

Postby hard h2o on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Carbide scraper type "sharpeners" will diminish the life of a blade. They basically peel material from the edge bevel. Terrible thing to subject your blade to.
hard h2o

Postby jdege on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:25 pm

A standard sharpening stone removes material from the bevel.
jdege

Postby hard h2o on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 pm

jdege wrote:A standard sharpening stone removes material from the bevel.

Not as much as one of those carbide jobs.

Better to have one with the ceramic rods to use in between sharpening on the stones.

I use the GATCO rod guided system for sharpening followed by stropping on leather. In the field I have a few of the pull through types with ceramic rods to refresh the edge.

At home between sharpenings I can go to the strop to refresh the edge.

If an edge needs touching up I do not need to go all the way to the coarse or extra coarse stones. I do not let my edges get that bad. I only need to go to the fine, extra fine, or finishing stones and then the strop. Minimizes having to remove much material to bring an edge back.
hard h2o

Postby jdege on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:52 am

That's one of the things I like about this particular sharpener.

The coarse surface is very aggressive, and will quickly set a bevel, removing a lot of material.

The fine surface is anything but. It's less aggressive, removes less material, and leaves a more polished edge than any carbide one used.

As I said, I'm sticking with my synthetic stones and guide rods for my best knives. But I've been using this B&T on the others, and I'm quite happy with it.
jdege

Postby hard h2o on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 pm

For a cheap beater knife I can see it. For everything else stones and ceramic.

I have one of these I won at a banquet:

I only use the ceramic sticks.

I have the GATCO Professional kit. I added the extra fine and ultimate finishing hones. Works great.
hard h2o

Return to Accessories