Safe space

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Safe space

Postby darthdahl on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:48 pm

LumberZach wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:Personally at your current point i would be building a safe room. Few grand and lots of rebar and concrete. Used bank safe door if i could find one.

I’ve actually been looking at building a safe room quite a bit. I’ve finally decided that cinder block/concrete/rebar room in my basement will probably be pushing the foundation to its limits, and that’s not a risk I want to take. On top of that, I have in floor heat, so ripping up a section and re-pouring is virtually impossible. New plan is to build a safe room as heavy as I can, and as fire proof as I can, but probably going to be steel studs, chicken wire, and fire resistant sheet rock. At least that’s the idea. First step though, is I want to set a few safes inside there for real final security. Fire protection is something I want to keep in mind, which is what concerns me about a lot of the other ideas in this thread. I do have a security system on the windows/doors/motion, but I plan on living in this house for the rest of my life. Since I can’t do the cement room, I want to do the next best thing and keep everything as secure as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve noticed this one recently...probably not the strongest but the price is right and ships for free...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018245919/snapsafe-vault-door-with-electronic-lock-matte-black
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
All-Around Good Guy
darthdahl

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 am

darthdahl wrote:
LumberZach wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:Personally at your current point i would be building a safe room. Few grand and lots of rebar and concrete. Used bank safe door if i could find one.

I’ve actually been looking at building a safe room quite a bit. I’ve finally decided that cinder block/concrete/rebar room in my basement will probably be pushing the foundation to its limits, and that’s not a risk I want to take. On top of that, I have in floor heat, so ripping up a section and re-pouring is virtually impossible. New plan is to build a safe room as heavy as I can, and as fire proof as I can, but probably going to be steel studs, chicken wire, and fire resistant sheet rock. At least that’s the idea. First step though, is I want to set a few safes inside there for real final security. Fire protection is something I want to keep in mind, which is what concerns me about a lot of the other ideas in this thread. I do have a security system on the windows/doors/motion, but I plan on living in this house for the rest of my life. Since I can’t do the cement room, I want to do the next best thing and keep everything as secure as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve noticed this one recently...probably not the strongest but the price is right and ships for free...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018245919/snapsafe-vault-door-with-electronic-lock-matte-black

When I lived in Cedar Falls Iowa, I built a safe room in the basement. 8' X 16' if I remember correctly. Hardest part was cemented ceiling - when wife was away I cut hole in kitchen floor so cement could come in thru deck door. After pouring, floor was updated for WIFE and a surprise for her when she arrived home.
When installing a safe door, add a mechanical release mechanism somewhere in house plumbed in with conduit to make it look natural. Easy to add a lever under the kitchen-bathroom sink that must be tripped to allow safe door to open.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:43 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:When I lived in Cedar Falls Iowa, I built a safe room in the basement. 8' X 16' if I remember correctly. Hardest part was cemented ceiling - when wife was away I cut hole in kitchen floor so cement could come in thru deck door. After pouring, floor was updated for WIFE and a surprise for her when she arrived home.
When installing a safe door, add a mechanical release mechanism somewhere in house plumbed in with conduit to make it look natural. Easy to add a lever under the kitchen-bathroom sink that must be tripped to allow safe door to open.

It’s not like you were in Waterloo.
Ghost

Postby goosed on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:43 am

My opinion:

Fancy safes/safe rooms look nice and make people feel good, but they only keep honest people honest. Given enough time and motivation even multi-million dollar bank vaults aren't impervious. Insurance is the only true fail safe protection of your investment.

Alarms and sprinklers are far better fire protection than any manufacturers marketing claims and far cheaper then true UL rated fire safes.

The only thing worth the money paid on a gun safe, imo, is a decent quality group 1 electric or group 2 mechanical lock. As I can speak from experience, it sucks when the cheap lock on your Cannon safe fails with your favorite toys stuck inside.
goosed

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Ghost wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:When I lived in Cedar Falls Iowa, I built a safe room in the basement. 8' X 16' if I remember correctly. Hardest part was cemented ceiling - when wife was away I cut hole in kitchen floor so cement could come in thru deck door. After pouring, floor was updated for WIFE and a surprise for her when she arrived home.

It’s not like you were in Waterloo.

Nope - East of Blackhawk Park on Lone Tree Road in NW area of Cedar Falls - worked at John Deere Product Engineering Center, Processing Department.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:44 pm

I just realized I am out of safe space again. Dang it. Not sure I have room for another.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I just realized I am out of safe space again. Dang it. Not sure I have room for another.

I have spare room after my children liberated 19 firearms from my safe storage area.
Would be glad to store them, occasionally feed them, and wipe down as needed.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:22 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I just realized I am out of safe space again. Dang it. Not sure I have room for another.

I have spare room after my children liberated 19 firearms from my safe storage area.
Would be glad to store them, occasionally feed them, and wipe down as needed.

Might need to add on to the house.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Accessories