Safe space

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Safe space

Postby LumberZach on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:07 pm

As a millennial, this is something I’ve been giving a lot of thought to lately. Apparently everyone else is too, because I see it in the news all the time.

I have a fairly nice superior brand safe, but of course, it’s running out of room. They don’t give these away though. I think I paid around $3k for mine.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS ... s?slotId=1

I’m wondering if I shouldn’t buy a few of these little pro vaults that cabelas sells. At $700 a piece, I could get about 4 of them until hitting the same price point as the big superior. Fire rating won’t be as good, but if someone broke in and even tried to haul a safe away having my collection broken up across 4 safes should significantly slow them down. Enough for the alarm company to send someone hopefully. 4 little safes would be easier to move around, and I could still bolt them in once they are where I want them. And I could probably sell a little one easier than a big one if I ever needed to.

So what do you guys think. 4 little safes, or 1 big safe.

Admittedly, in the next 20 years I’ll probably have both anyway.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach
 
Posts: 829 [View]
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Safe space

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:57 pm

"Heavy duty" 14 gauge walls, isn't that the same gauge as canned corn at Target? :)
User avatar
gun_fan111v2
 
Posts: 802 [View]
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Re: Safe space

Postby Rodentman on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:02 pm

At first I thought you were talking about a room with teddy bears, ice cream and marshmallows.
User avatar
Rodentman
 
Posts: 2680 [View]
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:22 am

Re: Safe space

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:16 pm

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
User avatar
Rip Van Winkle
 
Posts: 2628 [View]
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: Safe space

Postby silvor on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:


This video is kind of ********.

Most safes are against a wall. So you'd have to flip the safe FORWARD, then flip it over to do what they did. And, most guys I know bolt the safe to the floor.

That said, I know it's just a way to show safes CAN be broken into.

If you can afford it, buy a safe then put that inside a safe. And get a rider on your insurance policy. Most policies only cover 1k for guns.
silvor
 
Posts: 84 [View]
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:31 am

Re: Safe space

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:52 pm

silvor wrote:
This video is kind of ********.

Most safes are against a wall. So you'd have to flip the safe FORWARD, then flip it over to do what they did. And, most guys I know bolt the safe to the floor.

That said, I know it's just a way to show safes CAN be broken into.

If you can afford it, buy a safe then put that inside a safe. And get a rider on your insurance policy. Most policies only cover 1k for guns.

I have a friend who had a Remington brand safe pried open like in the example above. His was bolted to the wall too.

I've also seen cheaper safes split open with a fire axe.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
User avatar
Rip Van Winkle
 
Posts: 2628 [View]
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: Safe space

Postby linksep on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 pm

For $700 I would sell the existing safe, then spend the cash plus proceeds from the safe sale on the next gun(s) on your wish-list.

If you insist on locking them in a box I would make the value play and get a locking gun cabinet or toolbox.
The other option is to get a real "safe", https://zanottiarmor.com/ and https://www.sturdysafe.com/ come to mind first.

I don't keep my sawzall locked up so there's no point in locking up guns in anything less than the safes above (or similar).
This article saved me a bunch of money: https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/ ... tection/2/
saw-attack_browning-prosteel.jpg
linksep
 
Posts: 502 [View]
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Safe space

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Personally at your current point i would be building a safe room. Few grand and lots of rebar and concrete. Used bank safe door if i could find one.
User avatar
LarryFlew
 
Posts: 4270 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Young America - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: Safe space

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:56 pm

Get a ridgid tool box from Home Depot. Load it heavy and put in difficult location for removal. Install simplisafe style alarm system in room with motion detector and glass break sensor if there are windows.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 6971 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Safe space

Postby INOR on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:04 am

Ghost wrote:Get a ridgid tool box from Home Depot. Load it heavy and put in difficult location for removal. Install simplisafe style alarm system in room with motion detector and glass break sensor if there are windows.


This is an excellent idea. Might have to do this myself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR
 
Posts: 1200 [View]
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Safe space

Postby LumberZach on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:33 am

LarryFlew wrote:Personally at your current point i would be building a safe room. Few grand and lots of rebar and concrete. Used bank safe door if i could find one.


I’ve actually been looking at building a safe room quite a bit. I’ve finally decided that cinder block/concrete/rebar room in my basement will probably be pushing the foundation to its limits, and that’s not a risk I want to take. On top of that, I have in floor heat, so ripping up a section and re-pouring is virtually impossible. New plan is to build a safe room as heavy as I can, and as fire proof as I can, but probably going to be steel studs, chicken wire, and fire resistant sheet rock. At least that’s the idea. First step though, is I want to set a few safes inside there for real final security. Fire protection is something I want to keep in mind, which is what concerns me about a lot of the other ideas in this thread. I do have a security system on the windows/doors/motion, but I plan on living in this house for the rest of my life. Since I can’t do the cement room, I want to do the next best thing and keep everything as secure as possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach
 
Posts: 829 [View]
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Re: Safe space

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:46 am

Do you live in Iraq?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
User avatar
yukonjasper
 
Posts: 4456 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: eagan

Re: Safe space

Postby Ghost on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:34 am

yukonjasper wrote:Do you live in Iraq?

Don’t we all?
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 6971 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: Safe space

Postby Ghost on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:36 am

LumberZach wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:Personally at your current point i would be building a safe room. Few grand and lots of rebar and concrete. Used bank safe door if i could find one.


I’ve actually been looking at building a safe room quite a bit. I’ve finally decided that cinder block/concrete/rebar room in my basement will probably be pushing the foundation to its limits, and that’s not a risk I want to take. On top of that, I have in floor heat, so ripping up a section and re-pouring is virtually impossible. New plan is to build a safe room as heavy as I can, and as fire proof as I can, but probably going to be steel studs, chicken wire, and fire resistant sheet rock. At least that’s the idea. First step though, is I want to set a few safes inside there for real final security. Fire protection is something I want to keep in mind, which is what concerns me about a lot of the other ideas in this thread. I do have a security system on the windows/doors/motion, but I plan on living in this house for the rest of my life. Since I can’t do the cement room, I want to do the next best thing and keep everything as secure as possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If fire is the biggest worry then a sprinkler system should be your biggest wishlist item.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 6971 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: Safe space

Postby atomic41 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 am

What about a hidden room. Thieves don't steal what they can't see.
atomic41
 
Posts: 299 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Next

Return to Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron