Shipping a scope for warranty repairs.

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Shipping a scope for warranty repairs.

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am

I have an old Leopold scope that has a super tight variable power ring. I've been told that they can correct that. I no longer have a box for it, any suggestions on mailing it? I want to do a good job protecting it, but don't want to go overboard. Bubble wrap in a bulk rate box or envelope?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Shipping a scope for warranty repairs.

Postby Ironbear on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Bubble wrap and mailing tube?
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby rtk on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 pm

:roll:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby crbutler on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Bulk rate box wrapped in bubble wrap and the voids filled with packing peanuts or foam.

As long as it stays in one spot in the box, you will be fine- they take pretty big jolts when you use it. The really high end ones just have inserts in the boxes to keep them from getting finish dings, don’t overthink this.
crbutler

Postby 870TC on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Ironbear wrote:Bubble wrap and mailing tube?

this is what I did when sending one back to Leupold, btw they asked if I wanted my scope back?, or okay to replace?, I said I did not care. = Sent me a brand new in the box scope of the same model!!
870TC

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:40 pm

If it can’t make it though shipping it will not maintain zero after a tumble down an embankment in the field. Throw it out
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 pm

The bubble wrap idea is entirely functional for your needs. But if you really want to be careful you could pick up some styrofoam sheeting from Home Depot or elsewhere and use it to layer and cut out a cradle that would fit the scope exactly inside the shipping box.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ironbear on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:03 am

Just a word of warning...

I bought a Vortex scope that had problems and returned it under warranty. Since it was brand new, I included everything in the box that it came with. They repaired it, but sent it back, in a different box, without all the goodies! After a call, they were good enough to send me the scope caps, owners manual, etc. but it was extra hassle.

So... careful what you send with the scope....
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby BigBlue on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:59 am

Ironbear wrote:Just a word of warning...

I bought a Vortex scope that had problems and returned it under warranty. Since it was brand new, I included everything in the box that it came with. They repaired it, but sent it back, in a different box, without all the goodies! After a call, they were good enough to send me the scope caps, owners manual, etc. but it was extra hassle.

So... careful what you send with the scope....

That's solid advice for any type of return for repair or replacement. Never include anything with the item that isn't part of the problem, unless the manufacture explicitly tells you to.
BigBlue

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm

I wouldn't worry scopes are pretty rugged. Just put something in the box to pad it. Otherwise take it to a FexEx Kinko's or UPS store and let them deal with it.
Sigfan220

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Finally got around to sending this in. Just got an email that it is on its way back to me. I opted not to change out the reticle. It would have been $125. Duplex in there now is fine.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:58 am

yukonjasper wrote:Finally got around to sending this in. Just got an email that it is on its way back to me. I opted not to change out the reticle. It would have been $125. Duplex in there now is fine.

What reticle were you thinking?
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:54 pm

The selection was somewhat limited, I really didn't put much forethought into it and I didn't really want to spend $125 on a 20+ year old optic, so I stuck with the duplex that was already in there. We will be reunited on Saturday if the UPS TRACKING is accurate.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Return to Accessories