Are cheaps**t laser sights worth it?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Re: Are cheaps**t laser sights worth it?

Postby crbutler on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Let me put it a bit differently.

I’m not condemning you at all. We all have choices and conditions. I’d just shoot several boxes of ammo thru it and know what it does before using it for self defense. Seems like you have started since you know that it’s useless except at the sighted in distance for you.

A laser sight, if mounted offset from the bore (it has to be) is going to be like a scope if mounted over the barrel, on in two places, and if under (like most) it will only be on at one distance, and the closer in you zero it, the higher it will be from there on out. The more bore offset the more magnified shift this will be.

A cheap scope is less likely to adjust reliably and stay zeroed. You have magnified that tendency by using a laser. I have not seen one that keeps zero well, partially due to the really sloppy mounts most have.

I would have put the same money in a handheld flashlight for your SD purposes, given what you spent, and an attached one with a remote switch can kind of serve the same purpose as the laser in if the target is centered in the beam you have an area likelihood of hitting at near contact distance.
crbutler

Previous

Return to Accessories