New idea for WML on AR's

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

New idea for WML on AR's

Postby Scratch on Fri May 29, 2020 9:09 pm

I'm looking for a WML for my AR pistol and have come up with an idea. Hopefully there is already an item like this out there and I can buy one of them, anyways... here's my idea.

So I have this AR pistol with a 7" handguard. I want a red dot optic on it, as well as folding backup sights, plus QD sling mounts, and a light. The handguard is pretty small and there's not much room for me to get a good C-clamp grip that I like along with all of those other things. In this pic, you can see the front folding sight, and the QD mount, but I still have to find room for a WML.
1.jpg

Here you can see with that with my fat hands and sausage fingers, there's no good spot to put a light anywhere. Not much on the other side either, let alone a pressure pad to activate it.
2.jpg

Now... I could put one of those TLR-1 lights on there but the only good spot for it is at the 12 O-clock position like this:
3.jpg

I actually really like that position since its ambidextrous, in perfect reach of my thumb, out of view of my red dot, and no need for a pressure switch, but then there's no front back up sight.
4.jpg

Here you can see how the light housing is barely visible through the optic:
5.jpg

My initial thought is that a back up sight is just that... a back up, and the chance of me ever needing it is slim to none, but then I thought... too bad there wasn't a sight post right on the flashlight...?

So I was thinking I might try drilling and tapping a hole for a MBUS post and threading one in. I could put a spring below it to keep tension on it, in an attempt to see if it'll hold zero, and just see if it'll work. I'll have to cut the post down a bit as it'll be too long as it is. Haven't figured out how to keep moisture out of the unit though. I do have 3 of these things though, so If I wreck one, no biggie. I've already sent this idea to Streamlight telling them to make one. Maybe they'll send me a billion dollar check for my idea.
6.jpg

7.jpg

Any other input, or anyone know if this is already out there or not?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

New idea for WML on AR's

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 pm

How about those offset iron sights? If you can find a spot for them on the top rail.
gun_fan111v2

Re: New idea for WML on AR's

Postby LarryFlew on Sat May 30, 2020 7:21 am

Small threaded pc of metal glued to the top of the light would take care of moisture problem but takes away the adjustable part.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 30, 2020 7:49 am

Look at the inforce one's. I think you could make that work.
Holland&Holland

Postby Scratch on Sun May 31, 2020 7:50 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:How about those offset iron sights? If you can find a spot for them on the top rail.

I'm trying to make this as lightweight and clutter free, especially on the end of the barrel, so I'd rather not have a light, an offset mount and a BUS on the end of it.

LarryFlew wrote:Small threaded pc of metal glued to the top of the light would take care of moisture problem but takes away the adjustable part.

Close to what I was thinking...

Holland&Holland wrote:Look at the inforce one's. I think you could make that work.

I tried an Inforce, I didn't like how long it was and couldn't find a good place to fit it with the QD mount and BUS.
Scratch

Postby Scratch on Sun May 31, 2020 7:55 pm

Last week when I emailed Streamlight about my idea for a WML/BUS, I told them I had a prototype built. They seemed interested enough that they emailed me back today and wanted to see a pic of it so I figured I'd better finish it up.

Rather than destroying an existing Magpul post, I just made one quick from a grade 8 bolt on the lathe, but I forgot to get pics. It basically looks like a thumbtack but the base of it is about 3/16" thick. I drilled a bunch of tiny holes in the face of the "thumbtack" and drilled a bunch of dimples into the aluminum on the TLR housing. I didn't drill through the aluminum, so when this thing falls off, all I need to do is dab some black paint onto those dimples and it's good to go, should still be watertight too.

I figured the dimples and holes will give more teeth for the JB Weld to grip onto. Yes I used JB Weld to attach it to the housing. I've had geat luck with JB Weld and many projects in my life, so I thought it should work fine for this project.

This will be a "file to sight in" type of post, hopefully if Streamlight decides to make something, they'll make it adjustable, but this should work for now. I left it plenty high and will file it down when I sight it in this week, but this is what I was looking for. We'll see how long it lasts... I used some cold blue on the post.

Here are some pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here, I put a front and rear BUS and the light, on a separate rail so you can see how things line up. You can see I also need to file the "light sight" down just a bit, but I'll wait until I get to the range for that.
5.jpg
Last edited by Scratch on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scratch

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Good job :cheers:
Holland&Holland

Return to Accessories