Body armor demonstration

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Body armor demonstration

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:19 pm

What do you think about this demonstration....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3XefDKfwc
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Body armor demonstration

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm

yukonjasper wrote:What do you think about this demonstration....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3XefDKfwc

Seriously, you have to ask?
Holland&Holland

Postby nhluke on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:30 pm

I dig a man who stands behind his product. Ba dum ching
nhluke

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:50 am

Hold my beer. :roll:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby MasonK on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:17 am

I'm assuming that Matt Davis is Richard Davis' son. Richard Davis created Second Chance Body Armor in the 70s. I actually bought my Second Chance vest in 1996 after watching a video of Richard shooting himself with everything from 9mm to .44 Magnum, as well as shotgun slugs.

Still have it even though I don't do work requiring armor. Corporate finance is generally safer than being a paramedic.
MasonK

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:29 am

I guess the rules of gun safety don’t apply to stupid people.
Holland&Holland

Postby MasonK on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:05 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I guess the rules of gun safety don’t apply to stupid people.

I disagree; I questioned the efficacy of his armor until I saw him do those demonstrations. We know that Kevlar works now, but 40 years ago the idea a material as thin as a shirt would stop a bullet was more magic than science to most people.

Such demonstrations aren't needed now, but in the 80's and 90's that was the proof in the pudding.
MasonK

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:27 am

MasonK wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I guess the rules of gun safety don’t apply to stupid people.

I disagree; I questioned the efficacy of his armor until I saw him do those demonstrations. We know that Kevlar works now, but 40 years ago the idea a material as thin as a shirt would stop a bullet was more magic than science to most people.

Such demonstrations aren't needed now, but in the 80's and 90's that was the proof in the pudding.

They had milk cartons back then ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 am

MasonK wrote:I'm assuming that Matt Davis is Richard Davis' son. Richard Davis created Second Chance Body Armor in the 70s. I actually bought my Second Chance vest in 1996 after watching a video of Richard shooting himself with everything from 9mm to .44 Magnum, as well as shotgun slugs.

Still have it even though I don't do work requiring armor. Corporate finance is generally safer than being a paramedic.

Davis did a demonstration video; shooting himself, and then - to prove he was not compromised, returned fire at a table full of bowling pins.
Lots of people thought that looked like interesting fun, and a new shooting discipline was born. Once they eliminated the part about shooting oneself, the sport of pin shooting really took off.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:12 am

Not in the market but the difference between using a milk carton and your own body is certainly a selling point. Then there was the guy that had his GF shoot him through a city phone book with DE 50AE that really should have used the milk carton. Not sure I would trust her to hit the book but she did and it didn't matter.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:41 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Not in the market but the difference between using a milk carton and your own body is certainly a selling point. Then there was the guy that had his GF shoot him through a city phone book with DE 50AE that really should have used the milk carton. Not sure I would trust her to hit the book but she did and it didn't matter.

It is a point for sure. Just might not be the point they want to make.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:12 pm

MasonK wrote:

I'm trying to figure out which gun safety rule he violated.

I saw Rich do that demo in 1983 with a vest borrowed from the local police department. He had been doing this demonstration for about a decade by then. Rich came up with the idea after being robbed and shot while delivering pizzas. He wanted to come up with an effective and affordable protective device for not only law enforcement but also those working high risk jobs.

At some point theory gets put into application and at least Rich put himself in jeapordy when initially proving his product rather some hireling. The early "risk" he took demonstrating the effectiveness of a ballistic vest has saved countless officers and later, soldiers, from serious injury and/or death in the time since then.

A little known "fact" is the vests saved more lives and lessened injuries in car crashes than being shot in the first couple of decades. This was due to the infrequent use of seat belts by officers back in the day. Catching the steering wheel in the chest at city speeds frequently resulted in broken rids and not uncommonly damaged spleens or livers but the vest's design to distribute the impact over a much larger area often ended with minor bruising at the worst.
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:38 am

smurfman wrote:
MasonK wrote:

I'm trying to figure out which gun safety rule he violated.

I saw Rich do that demo in 1983 with a vest borrowed from the local police department. He had been doing this demonstration for about a decade by then. Rich came up with the idea after being robbed and shot while delivering pizzas. He wanted to come up with an effective and affordable protective device for not only law enforcement but also those working high risk jobs.

At some point theory gets put into application and at least Rich put himself in jeapordy when initially proving his product rather some hireling. The early "risk" he took demonstrating the effectiveness of a ballistic vest has saved countless officers and later, soldiers, from serious injury and/or death in the time since then.

A little known "fact" is the vests saved more lives and lessened injuries in car crashes than being shot in the first couple of decades. This was due to the infrequent use of seat belts by officers back in the day. Catching the steering wheel in the chest at city speeds frequently resulted in broken rids and not uncommonly damaged spleens or livers but the vest's design to distribute the impact over a much larger area often ended with minor bruising at the worst.

That is great and there existed absolutely no way to test this product other than to shoot oneself? This thread shows that a person can justify anything that they want to in their own mind. I wonder, if it failed on its 1st demo would folks have thought the same? Would it be called just an AD at that point?
Holland&Holland

Postby hammAR on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 pm

No AD pure ND......... ;)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:03 pm

How about a NAGI Discharge (not a good idea) or a MYGTBFC Discharge (man you've got to be effing crazy)

Don't disagree that the demonstration violates everything your taught about safe gun handling, but it is definitely effective in showing how confident the manufacturer is in the product.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to Accessories