Recommendations for a night scope Illuminator

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Recommendations for a night scope Illuminator

Postby postal on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:04 pm

I have an older ATN night scope on one of my AR's and although it works okay in moonlight or starlight with a clear sky, in the woods under a canopy it's pretty dismal and lights up only a few yards out.
The thing came with a small illuminator but that only adds a short distance to the short range. I'd like some recommendations on Illuminators or infrared lights that would get me some real range and clarity out a ways without spending more than the scope cost me.

Edit to clarify: Firearms Safety instructor in Mn for over 25 years and do understand the laws pertaining to these, but appreciate that others care too. This rig is Not for taking any game animals but have used it out west for coyotes (and sometimes prairie dogs at night), have lines on some hog hunts in Texas I might use it for, and have a few more coyotes on my hunting property than I think are necessary, but heard you can't use illuminators for 'yotes here in Minnesota.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by postal on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately" (Benjamin Franklin)

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum!
postal

Re: Recommendations for a night scope Illuminator

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:19 pm

2020 Minnesota Statutes

Authenticate  PDF

Resources

Search Minnesota StatutesAbout Minnesota Statutes2020 Statutes New, Amended or Repealed2020 Table of Chapters2020 Statutes Topics (Index)Chapter 97BTable of SectionsFull Chapter TextVersion ListSection 97B.086Version ListTopics

Bows and arrowsFirearmsHunting

Recent History

2019 97B.086 Amended 2019 c 4 art 3 s 572014 97B.086 Amended 2014 c 290 s 412009 97B.086 Amended 2009 c 176 art 2 s 442007 97B.086 New 2007 c 131 art 1 s 41

97B.086 POSSESSING NIGHT VISION OR THERMAL IMAGING EQUIPMENT.

(a) A person may not possess night vision or thermal imaging equipment while taking wild animals or while having in possession, either individually or as one of a group of persons, a firearm, bow, or other implement that could be used to take wild animals.

(b) This section does not apply to a firearm that is:

(1) unloaded;

(2) in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm that fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened without any portion of the firearm exposed; and

(3) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.

(c) This section does not apply to a bow that is:

(1) completely encased or unstrung; and

(2) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.

(d) If the motor vehicle under paragraph (b) or (c) does not have a trunk, the firearm or bow must be placed in the rearmost location of the vehicle.

(e) This section does not apply to night vision or thermal imaging equipment possessed by:

(1) peace officers or military personnel while exercising their duties; or

(2) a person taking coyote or fox as provided under section 97B.075 and rules adopted under section 97B.605.

History: 

2007 c 131 art 1 s 41; 2009 c 176 art 2 s 44; 2014 c 290 s 41; 1Sp2019 c 4 art 3 s 57
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:20 pm

2020 Minnesota Statutes

Authenticate  PDF

Resources

Search Minnesota StatutesAbout Minnesota Statutes2020 Statutes New, Amended or Repealed2020 Table of Chapters2020 Statutes Topics (Index)Chapter 97BTable of SectionsFull Chapter TextVersion ListSection 97B.086Version ListTopics

Bows and arrowsFirearmsHunting

Recent History

2019 97B.086 Amended 2019 c 4 art 3 s 572014 97B.086 Amended 2014 c 290 s 412009 97B.086 Amended 2009 c 176 art 2 s 442007 97B.086 New 2007 c 131 art 1 s 41

97B.086 POSSESSING NIGHT VISION OR THERMAL IMAGING EQUIPMENT.

(a) A person may not possess night vision or thermal imaging equipment while taking wild animals or while having in possession, either individually or as one of a group of persons, a firearm, bow, or other implement that could be used to take wild animals.

(b) This section does not apply to a firearm that is:

(1) unloaded;

(2) in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm that fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened without any portion of the firearm exposed; and

(3) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.

(c) This section does not apply to a bow that is:

(1) completely encased or unstrung; and

(2) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.

(d) If the motor vehicle under paragraph (b) or (c) does not have a trunk, the firearm or bow must be placed in the rearmost location of the vehicle.

(e) This section does not apply to night vision or thermal imaging equipment possessed by:

(1) peace officers or military personnel while exercising their duties; or

(2) a person taking coyote or fox as provided under section 97B.075 and rules adopted under section 97B.605.

History: 

2007 c 131 art 1 s 41; 2009 c 176 art 2 s 44; 2014 c 290 s 41; 1Sp2019 c 4 art 3 s 57

Not sure how this affects your questions.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Here's one option. It's pretty darn impressive considering it's really cheap, probably a 300 yard throw. I also have a TNVC torch that has about double the range.

The DNR is saying that you can use night vision, but you can't use an illuminator, while coyote/fox hunting.

https://smile.amazon.com/illuminator-Infrared-Adjustable-Flashlight-FANDYFIRE/dp/B07J58P2WR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fandyfire&qid=1608077983&sr=8-1
Jackpine Savage

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:39 pm

So my green laser on my 338LM would not be legal. :?:

DANG - it worked so well on a coyote out about 260 yards. Could still see coyote thru scope which I used although it was low light. Laser was used to find approximate location on dark earth in scope

338LM "may" have been overkill for coyote, .......................... but its dead before attacking my hound unlike the neighbors dog which was chewed up bad before escaping. :!:

Took green laser off rifle as recoil was not helpful in maintaining this light.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Shots-on-target on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 am

Correct. When my boys were younger, I mounted a laser on a CO2 pellet rifle to clear pigeons out of the barn. A CO told me it was fine to use inside the barn but we couldn't use it outside the barn or it would be breaking the statute.
Shots-on-target

Postby hard h2o on Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:08 pm

I work at an outdoor retailer. We are going to put all of our night vision in a different spot and put something else on the premium spot they are currently at.

At my last store we have had guys drive from a fair distance when we were the only ones selling a particular night scope. They came from a state that allows their use into a state that doesn't because their stores are sold out.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Typical, conflicting laws and regs.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Typical, conflicting laws and regs.

It happens a lot with stuff that is legal to own but sometimes not legal to use.

Jaw Jacker type tipups. I believe hook setting type tipups are illegal to use in MN but legal in WI. Sometimes sold in MN especially at stores close to the border with cheeseland. When you ask someone looking at them if they are fishing in MN and inform them that they are illegal in MN they usually are not happy. Like it is the store or salesman's fault.

Auto Knives. Not legal in MN unless military or law enforcement. I have talked to many people asking where our autos are. I explain that they are not legal in MN. I have a buddy who told me he has an auto someone gave him. I advised him not to tell everyone about it. He did not believe me until I pulled up a couple of websites.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:27 pm

hard h2o wrote:

It happens a lot with stuff that is legal to own but sometimes not legal to use.

Jaw Jacker type tipups. I believe hook setting type tipups are illegal to use in MN but legal in WI. Sometimes sold in MN especially at stores close to the border with cheeseland. When you ask someone looking at them if they are fishing in MN and inform them that they are illegal in MN they usually are not happy. Like it is the store or salesman's fault.

Auto Knives. Not legal in MN unless military or law enforcement. I have talked to many people asking where our autos are. I explain that they are not legal in MN. I have a buddy who told me he has an auto someone gave him. I advised him not to tell everyone about it. He did not believe me until I pulled up a couple of websites.

Auto knives are legal if you are a collector.
Holland&Holland

Postby postal on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:26 am

It does happen a lot as much is legal to buy and possess but not use.
Usually just use this without the illuminator as it doesn't do much at all and the scope is big enough!

And you never hear about these laws in the media.....I do look them up each year but most people find out about a new law when a CO hands them a citation.....

Game scents, salt blocks, etc.
Have whacked a couple 'yotes with a 300 Blackout on my property but not yet with a can on the gun. That's probably not legal as well, but haven't looked at the statutes for anything to that effect yet.
And there are no wild hogs in this state yet but id there were these would probably be illegal for that too!
postal

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:49 am

postal wrote:It does happen a lot as much is legal to buy and possess but not use.
Usually just use this without the illuminator as it doesn't do much at all and the scope is big enough!

And you never hear about these laws in the media.....I do look them up each year but most people find out about a new law when a CO hands them a citation.....

Game scents, salt blocks, etc.
Have whacked a couple 'yotes with a 300 Blackout on my property but not yet with a can on the gun. That's probably not legal as well, but haven't looked at the statutes for anything to that effect yet.
And there are no wild hogs in this state yet but id there were these would probably be illegal for that too!

I think their long term goal is to turn us all in to felons.
Jackpine Savage

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:17 am

postal wrote:

That is legal in MN
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby hard h2o on Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:59 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
hard h2o wrote:

Auto knives are legal if you are a collector.

Sorry, missed that exemption. What constitutes a collector and if you are can you carry and use your collectibles?
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Check with your lawyer.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Accessories