holster retention systems

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

holster retention systems

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:00 pm

I'm continuing to search for a paddle holster for my G26 and have come across a few styles that incorporate different retention or locking systems - thumb breaks or Safariland like ALS active systems with levers or other mechanisms. I'm familiar with friction systems, so I'm unsure if I would want to have anything but an open?friction holster.

I get the idea behind the thumb breaks and levers etc. but in a concealed situation, how concerned are you that A) someone knows/sees you carrying B) that they would make a play for the gun? Seems to me the retention systems would be most effective for open carry situations and law enforcement applications.

Am I missing something. Educate me please.

Also, if you have a suggestion for a quality Paddle holster that rides a little high for behind the hip- 3:30-4:00 - carry, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: holster retention systems

Postby MJY65 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:10 pm

I use a Safariland with ALS for my G27 when riding in my side by side. It locks up very securely and is intuitive to unlock. It's not a small holster though, so concealment would be compromised. It may or may not matter, but it also has a pretty loud click/clunk when engaging.
MJY65

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:26 pm

I've got a thumb break on an outside-the-belt revo holster.
Unsnapping it is a simple, and seemingly natural act, and it gives the security the gun won't be pulled out if I snag it on brush, etc.

I suppose it depends on how one is dressed, (I rarely have my shirt tails tucked in) and what they carry, but I've quit worrying about printing for a couple reasons.

As many will state, most people are pretty oblivious to the details of those around them.
and
A habit I developed when carrying a 35mm camera around my neck was to instinctively protect it with my elbows, and twisting, and turning if anyone got too close. I find myself making similar moves if someone I don't know starts getting too close to me.
As to specific holsters, I once had a cheaple paddle that broke-that's not to say there aren't good ones out there. Having some occasional back, and hip issues from time to time, the only IWB holster I've been able to wear for extended periods is a hybrid leather, and kydex model made by Mintaur. It's a friction fit. It will not hold a loaded pistol if it's upside down, but when inside the belt I'm confident with it.
My only holster issue right now is something a having something more accessible when seated in a vehicle.
I've thought about a shoulder rig, which would conceal well in cooler weather, but not a good choice when wearing a t-shirt.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Scratch on Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:59 pm

If it's an IWB holster, I would suggest a friction fit retention. No need for anything else unless your daily job is either Cirque du Soleil, or some place that you're worried about someone grabbing your gun. I see no need for higher retention than that on a concealed carry gun. I like hybrid holsters. Take your pick. Everyone and their mother is making them these days.

That being said... if you want more retention, but still want super easy draws, try a Safariland GLS holster. It doesn't have a thumb break like the ALS. It's released by your index finger as you wrap around the pistol grip. I use that on my competition belt. I used to use a G-Code SOC rig, (thumb break) but after trying a GLS holster, the draw is way easier. Basically, if you grab the pistol grip like normal, the gun comes out effortlessly, but if you're not grabbing the pistol grip, no amount of upside down shaking will let it loose. Good for competition, but bad if you have to worry about bad guys going for it.

Again, not needed for daily carry IMO though.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:49 pm

xd ED wrote:My only holster issue right now is something a having something more accessible when seated in a vehicle.
I've thought about a shoulder rig, which would conceal well in cooler weather, but not a good choice when wearing a t-shirt.

That is the reason I like the paddle holster. I can take it off and relocate it to the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. Still reachable tucked over the top of the pocket. Grab it on the way out of the truck and tuck the paddle back in my waist band and away I go.......
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:59 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
xd ED wrote:My only holster issue right now is something a having something more accessible when seated in a vehicle.

That is the reason I like the paddle holster. I can take it off and relocate it to the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. Still reachable tucked over the top of the pocket. Grab it on the way out of the truck and tuck the paddle back in my waist band and away I go.......

Sounds like a plan if you're OK with carrying outside the belt. I'm not sure I'd be at ease with that exposure, but It would certainly be more comfortable then carrying inside the belt all day.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby DanM on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 am

Paddle holsters with retention systems are an oxymoron. Paddle holsters can be ripped from the carrier's belt quickly and easily. That's the kind of retention that should be considered first.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby fine ape on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:44 am

The only paddle holster that I've used that had good "paddle retention" was the Blackhawk Serpa with the extra little hooks installed on the paddle. But it really makes it more of a pain to remove than what it seems like you'd want.

The most secure quick on quick off holster attachment system I've used is bladetech's tech-lok. It basically clamps and locks around your belt, but it makes the holster sit farther off the body than a pancake or paddle.
Guns are not the problem, people are the problem. And short of lobotomizig everyone who has a bad thought they will continue to be for the forseeable future.
fine ape

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:10 am

DanM wrote:Paddle holsters with retention systems are an oxymoron. Paddle holsters can be ripped from the carrier's belt quickly and easily. That's the kind of retention that should be considered first.

Not any different than a tension style retention in a holster looped to your belt.
Holland&Holland

Return to Accessories