CamelBaks- your opinions?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Postby Lumpy on Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:04 pm

I suppose they're sorta' nifty but are they really all that? I've heard them described as making canteens obsolete for infantry in the field; is hands-free really that huge an advantage?
Lumpy

Postby INOR on Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:47 pm

They’re fantastic. But you need to maintain them and clean and dry the bladder between use. But you don’t necessarily have to buy a full camelbak bag. You can often just put the bladder in most modern backpacks. The key is whether there is a place at the top of the backpack to hook the top of the bladder to and a slot for the hose to come out. I do recommend the real camelbak brand bladders and bite pieces though. They are strong and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby INOR on Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:49 pm

I have a 3 litre one and it’s really easy to carry that much water when it’s on your back and you’re hands free. Plus easier to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: CamelBaks- your opinions?

Postby nhluke on Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:56 pm

I use mine on any hike over a few hours. They are super convenient which means I actually drink more water than just using a Nalgene or bottles. It's nice for drinking while moving and it frees your hands for looking at a gps, holding a rifle or trekking poles
nhluke

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:16 pm

I like them when it's above freezing. But this time of year the hose can freeze. If you blow back into it after every drink it might keep working, until it doesn't.
Jackpine Savage

Postby crbutler on Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:54 am

It’s an option.

It doesn’t replace a canteen or water bottle on a true wilderness expedition because you need to be able to treat the water somehow.

I have found they don’t clean very well, but the price to replace the bladder isn’t that horrible.

If you are either doing something away from civilization for a prolonged time, it’s a different placement point for your water storage. I’m not quite sure why so many folks “have” to have water or whatever with them for not even being out for more than a couple hours (walking the dog requires a water bottle or camelback, WTF?) but it has its place.

In a hunting or military situation a camelback doesn’t make the sloshing noise a water bottle or canteen does. It does allow access while continuing most activity…

They are “tacticool” but do have a place. I have a few for hunting use, but that’s about the only time I bother.

I will second that the name brand one has better valves and hose, but not sure that matters all that much for my usage… but I’m definitely low speed high drag.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:51 pm

I have 2, never found a reason to use them. The packs make nice lightweight day packs though with the bladder removed. :roll:
Holland&Holland

Return to Accessories