Searching for ear muffs

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Searching for ear muffs

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:36 am

I've gone through several pairs of external amplifying earmuffs over the years. I like being able to hear what's going on around me at the range, while still protecting my hearing.

I've also had a paid of Bluetooth earmuffs, that me allow to stream music while working with power tools, but they don't let me hear ambient sound the way my shooting muffs do.

My Bluetooth earmuffs are reaching end-of-life, and I thought I'd replace them with something that would do both. Protect hearing, allow me to converse with other people, and stream Bluetooth.

I bought something I found on Amazon, and I'm sending it back. The Bluetooth is flaky, but more than that it's monaural. Which is aggravating when streaming music and dangerous at the range.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
jdege

Re: Searching for ear muffs

Postby hard h2o on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:55 am

hard h2o

Searching for ear muffs

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:59 am

I use these https://www.scheels.com/p/walkers-xcel- ... -XSEM.html (because of higher NRR rating). I think they have a bluetooth version as well.

They do cut out completely if the shots are fired close enough, which took a bit to get used to.

Speaker on one side went out after a couple of years, out of warranty. They send me 50% off so I got a new set and gel inserts. We’ll see how well that holds up.
gun_fan111v2

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:06 am

Thanks.

I'll stop by Scheels and take a look.
jdege

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:13 pm

I use Peltor Sport Tactical 500's. They seem to work well for noise reduction and are comfortable. I'm not really a music guy but now that I have the option, I really like listening to music or a podcast while mowing, and shooting with a soundtrack playing adds something to the experience. Battery life seems good too. No complaints at all about them.

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electroni ... 6YRWJ?th=1

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby ex-LT on Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:14 pm

I picked up a set of Axil GS Extreme ear buds (not the 2.0) about 4 months ago. So far I'm happy with them, but I haven't had many opportunities to take them to the range yet, either. I do wear them to the gym, and they do a good job of blocking out the external noise, so all I hear is the music/podcasts coming through my bluetooth.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:46 pm

Bitter Bastard wrote:I use Peltor Sport Tactical 500's. They seem to work well for noise reduction and are comfortable. I'm not really a music guy but now that I have the option, I really like listening to music or a podcast while mowing, and shooting with a soundtrack playing adds something to the experience. Battery life seems good too. No complaints at all about them.

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electroni ... 6YRWJ?th=1

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard

I've been using the same for a couple years. I like them. I don't use blue tooth very often.
Jackpine Savage

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:17 pm

You can run an amplifier on you phone to have whatever the phone mic pics to be played on the headphones.
(I haven't yet found one with equalizer fitted for range use, but I would think headphones design would be limiting played sound intensity.)
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby hard h2o on Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:59 am

jdege wrote:Thanks.

I'll stop by Scheels and take a look.

I will be working there on Friday evening. Look for Tom if you will be there.
hard h2o

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:00 pm

Not sure if these were one of the ones mentioned. I have no experience with them. On sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101712898
Jackpine Savage

Postby warrlac on Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:51 pm

FWIW - I bought this Walker Ultimate Quad Bluetooth from Midway. They let you listen to music from your phone and answer calls via Bluetooth. They also have active sound compression. They seem to be fairly priced at $60. I will be using them in the field this coming weekend at a match. Will post my thoughts post-match.

Jackpine Savage wrote:Not sure if these were one of the ones mentioned. I have no experience with them. On sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101712898
warrlac

Postby jdege on Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:01 pm

I ended up purchasing the Walker XCEL 500BT Digital Electronic Muff.

Haven't used them much, yet, but they seem to have much higher Bluetooth quality than the others I've tried.
jdege

Return to Accessories