Can We Talk About Holster Cant?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Can We Talk About Holster Cant?

Postby cmj685 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:24 am

I am a little puzzled about holster cant. I bought a new holster from Streichers cheap just to have one to practice with, and it has been most illuminating. The good thing about the holster was that it had variable cant in all directions. So I tried all the various cants for a period of time. Here's what I found--and what is confusing is that in my reading it appears that apparently I am the only one in the world who came up with this result so I wanted to check with some of the rest of you.
The FBI (grip forward) cant: virtually impossible to get my wrist to the position where I can get hold of the grip of the gun. It actually requires a twisting of the wrist downward past where it will physically go to offset the angle of the arm coming in (I have long arms and a short torso which may be a complication). I have to throw my right shoulder far forward to get the arm to the position where the wrist can twist downwards enough to grasp the grip of the gun as it sits forward in the holster. Yet I seem to see law enforcement officers with this cant most often. How the heck do they draw their guns?

The straight up holster--a little better so far as the twisting of the wrist, but requires me to throw my right shoulder up high to draw the gun as my elbow is already as far bent as it can get since the gun grip is significantly higher and my long arms are too long. Yet I read that this tends to be the holster cant that competition shooters prefer.

The muzzle forward (grip back): Absolutely perfect and comfortable for me to draw...the lower grip placement gives my arm length a little play, and the wrist position to grab the grip is perfect as the arm comes in. But I seem to be the only one in the world who uses that configuration and likes it. I am not afraid to be the only one in the world, but sometimes more experienced people may not wear the holster that way for good reasons...perhaps because of the issues of concealing, drawing while sitting, etc. Will anyone give some educated opinions based on their own observations...I would appreciate it greatly! I am trying to figure out a good, straightforward kydex-type OWB holster for daily use and IDPA (which I hope to get into sometime soon) for my new :D Glock 19! Thanks a million!
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Re: Can We Talk About Holster Cant?

Postby Pinnacle on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:49 am

It is interesting to play with the cant of a holster.

I have tried all of them - butt forward (FBI) Straight up and down and Butt rearward.

I have found the EXACT same thing as you.

I tend to carry vertically...
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby hammAR on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:35 am

cmj685 wrote:The FBI (grip forward) cant: virtually impossible to get my wrist to the position where I can get hold of the grip of the gun. It actually requires a twisting of the wrist downward past where it will physically go to offset the angle of the arm coming in (I have long arms and a short torso which may be a complication). I have to throw my right shoulder far forward to get the arm to the position where the wrist can twist downwards enough to grasp the grip of the gun as it sits forward in the holster. Yet I seem to see law enforcement officers with this cant most often. How the heck do they draw their guns?

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only long armed, knuckle dragger that has problems with this.........
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby JFettig on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:04 pm

My choice of cant for iwb has been as deep as I can get and canted way forward, this puts the grip up at about 45 degrees, very concealable for me. Its a little different to draw but I don't have trouble with it, but for owb I like the gun higher and very little cant. As the gun goes up the cant goes down. I have not tried reverse cant like your talking about, I think it would be a very awkward draw.

Jon
JFettig

Postby JoeH on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:54 pm

cmj685-

The position of the holster on the belt is as important as the cant. Most right-handed shooters carry somewhere between 2:30 and 5 o'clock.

For comp/games/range I wear a straight holster at 3:00. For carry, the holster slides back to about 4:30 but I also cant forward (FBI). That gives me better concealability especially with a full-size grip and still a comfortable draw.

Have you tried different positions on your belt?
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby 1911fan on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:22 pm

For concealability, the FBI style was found to be the easiest to hide as it places most of the mass of the gun within the lines of the body. IT it also the only grip that i can retrieve while sitting. WHich for FBI agents, who spent so much time on stake outs, was critical.

You just have to keep trying different holsters, you may even find that with long arms and not too rotund chest, a shoulder holster may work best for you.
1911fan

Postby Srigs on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:56 pm

For smaller guns straight works good but larger guns I like 10 to 15 degree cant. Seams to work well for me.
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby ree on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:34 pm

I prefer a forward cant for concealability and comfort anywhere from 3-5 o'clock. Regardless of the gun's size, it doesn't stick out as much when canted forward. I don't have a problem with the angle, though I wouldn't say it's the fastest/easiest angle to take a grip at. I can imagine that with longer arms and possibly wrists with less range of motion that I have, that it would be very difficult to use forward cant.
ree

Postby cmj685 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:59 am

I can see where the forward cant would work better with the holster positioned from past 3:00 to 5:00 or so--then the grip is leaning forward toward the hand. The odd thing is that when I see law enforcement wearing the forward cant they are often wearing the holster at about 2:30--I just can't get the grip in hand at that position and angle. But maybe sitting in a car most of the day that position tends to be more comfortable? I find that I like the 2:30 position since I have a hard portruding hip bone right at 3:00 and thus 2:30 makes it more comfortable and also conceals better since it pulls in a little closer. I have tried a few other positions but I find I don't like the gun behind my line of vision past 3:00...makes me uneasy not to be able to see whether it is concealed or if there is a shirt flapping up exposing it, and also not to know if someone behind me is approaching with an idea of grabbing at the gun. It was interesting to hear from a few of you that you also experience difficulty with the straight and forward cants. Maybe this depends more on body style than one would assume at first glance? I mean, heck, the Duke never wore his holster in any way but straight and at 3:00, did he? So I just assumed that was the way it was supposed to be worn.... :lol:
cmj685

Postby JoeH on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:54 am

cmj685 wrote: I mean, heck, the Duke never wore his holster in any way but straight and at 3:00, did he? So I just assumed that was the way it was supposed to be worn.... :lol:

With a drop to about mid-thigh. :)

You'll need a Duster to conceal that.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Old Dude on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:08 pm

A frock coat works pretty well, too. I own two of them.
Old Dude

Postby Rem700 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:59 pm

I believe the Duke wore his around 4ish
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby CraigJS on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Muzzle forward may also get you tangled some what in your cover clothing. Your pulling your gun back into your open shirt or coat. FBI cant pulls your gun out into the open front area of your cover clothing. Muzzle forward may make it next to impossible to draw sitting in a car or chair. I like my K&D OWB at about 4-4:30 (FBI cant), but am faster with my Blade Tech vert. at about 3-3:30. That's why I like fall/winter. Nice warm pull over hoodie and I'm good to go with either holster..
Be safe.
CraigJS

Postby Pezhead on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 am

I carry vertically, but I'm thinking of changing to the FBI cant(should be better when seated in the vehicle). That's what I like about my holster the way you can adjust it.
Pezhead

Postby cmj685 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:27 am

I was doing some experimenting this past weekend since I was riding alot in a car. Turns out that the muzzle forward cant is virtually impossible to draw while sitting in a car--the grip of the gun is jammed up against the back of the seat. The FBI cant is very easy to draw in a car. I would guess that that is why lots of law enforcement officers wear the FBI cant, though it seems to make it much harder to draw on the feet--they spend a good deal of their time in a car.
cmj685

Next

Return to Accessories