Inexpensive AR500 steel gong targets

Post deals you find and organize group buys

Inexpensive AR500 steel gong targets

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Revising my post, after visiting and shopping at ShootSteel.com including their seconds/blem pile there's no need to shop elsewhere... These aren't the gongs you're looking for, move along... :)
Last edited by yuppiejr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
yuppiejr

Re: Inexpensive AR500 steel gong targets

Postby forcefed on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:00 am

Or....

http://www.shootsteel.com/

And we are local!
forcefed

Postby LePetomane on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:18 am

yuppiejr, $5.00 isn't going to ship much. These things are heavy.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby photogpat on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:46 am

forcefed wrote:Or....

And we are local!

Not to mention that Shoot Steel has blem items for sale all the time -- and you can swing up and pick them up yourself in Brooklyn Park then get the tour and drool over the poppers, giant IDPA .50cal targets, and other miscellaneous bang-ping goodies!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:51 am

No argument the local pickup & browse option is a plus for we locals. :)
Last edited by yuppiejr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am

LePetomane wrote:yuppiejr, $5.00 isn't going to ship much. These things are heavy.

USPS flat rate boxes are unique for this reason, they ship for the same price as long as whatever you ship fits in the box (small, medium, large), up to 70 pounds at roughly $6, $12 and $18 respectively.
Last edited by yuppiejr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Postby JJ on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 am

Having shot a fair amount of steel, I would avoid the gongs with ears. They have a tendency to fracture/break along those ears.

And from the pictures, that's some pretty crappy mounting chain. if it's not yellow, it's not GR70 chain (anything less will not withstand a bullet strike). I've played the cheap chain game, and you end up spending way more in the long run.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby SparkyJeff on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 am

forcefed wrote:Or....

And we are local!

this is where you go
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:22 pm

JJ wrote:Having shot a fair amount of steel, I would avoid the gongs with ears. They have a tendency to fracture/break along those ears.

And from the pictures, that's some pretty crappy mounting chain. if it's not yellow, it's not GR70 chain (anything less will not withstand a bullet strike). I've played the cheap chain game, and you end up spending way more in the long run.

I've hit the ears and the chain with 800 grain brass solids at 1100 yards, no damage to the gong or the chains, but did rip it off the mount the Gun Club hung it from. (this was a 50BMG specific target)
OldmanFCSA

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Did they pay you in steel targets to remove that?!?!

I wanna be paid off too... LOL
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:18 am

Slayer_MN1 wrote:Did they pay you in steel targets to remove that?!?!

No such request from them, I actually spent more than twice as much as I planned over at ShootSteel vs what I was planning at the other place if that is any indication... though I walked out with a lot more stuff than I originally planned as well and felt like I got a better value overall.

I think if you're looking to buy steel targets elsewhere and can find a comparable product it's worth asking if ShootSteel will work with you on the price. In my case they spent some time comparing the product I'd linked to their targets and indicating why it wasn't an entirely apples to apples comparison in the first place while it may have appeared so on paper/browser in my posting. I don't necessarily think the other outfit was a bad company but I think there's something to be said for supporting the local companies that support our local shooting community when my wallet is not harmed in the process.

If someone wants to shop for bargain basement priced steel targets which will inevitably explode and kill a litter of kittens with every hit there is always Google. :)
Last edited by yuppiejr on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Postby JJ on Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:06 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
JJ wrote:Having shot a fair amount of steel, I would avoid the gongs with ears. They have a tendency to fracture/break along those ears.

I've hit the ears and the chain with 800 grain brass solids at 1100 yards, no damage to the gong or the chains, but did rip it off the mount the Gun Club hung it from. (this was a 50BMG specific target)

Velocity, not energy is what kills steel targets. When your velocity gets up over 3200-3300fps, even basic bullets can punch holes in AR500. There is a reason I don't shoot 243AI at steel closer than 200 (it likes to make holes). Even some high velocity 223 loads can punch holes at 100. Comparing a .50 cal that at 1500fps, and small calibers at 3000+ is an apples and oranges comparison.

On the flip side, heavy bullets are much harder I the chains and stands. Big heavy bullets tend to bow the surface of the plate, rather than pock/crater the surface.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 am

Another plus one for Shootsteel. I've avoided visiting them personally out of fear of there being too much candy I want....I want.... emptying the wallet and overloading the pick up.

There mail order service is extraordinary. Seems like the stuff shows up before I log off their site. I bought several 'blemished' pieces and there is nothing functionally, and little-to nothing visually bad on them.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby photogpat on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:30 am

xd ED wrote:Another plus one for Shootsteel. I've avoided visiting them personally out of fear of there being too much candy I want....I want.... emptying the wallet and overloading the pick up.

There mail order service is extraordinary. Seems like the stuff shows up before I log off their site. I bought several 'blemished' pieces and there is nothing functionally, and little-to nothing visually bad on them.

If you go to the physical location - your wallet WILL be lighter when you leave. They're good at saying "Oh but look at this" and "Look over here" and "Did you see these?"

:lol:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 am

yuppiejr wrote:
Slayer_MN1 wrote:Did they pay you in steel targets to remove that?!?!

No such request from them, I actually spent more than twice as much as I planned over at ShootSteel vs what I was planning at the other place if that is any indication... though I walked out with a lot more stuff than I originally planned as well and felt like I got a better value overall.

I think if you're looking to buy steel targets elsewhere and can find a comparable product it's worth asking if ShootSteel will work with you on the price. In my case they spent some time comparing the product I'd linked to their targets and indicating why it wasn't an entirely apples to apples comparison in the first place while it may have appeared so on paper/browser in my posting. I don't necessarily think the other outfit was a bad company but I think there's something to be said for supporting the local companies that support our local shooting community when my wallet is not harmed in the process.

If someone wants to shop for bargain basement priced steel targets which will inevitably explode and kill a litter of kittens with every hit there is always Google. :)

I was just giving you a hard time, I plan on making the trip down to see them soon as well. My steel collection is pathetic right now.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Return to Deals and Group Buys