Cold Steel Special Forces (Spetsnaz style) Shovel - $12.65

Post deals you find and organize group buys

Cold Steel Special Forces (Spetsnaz style) Shovel - $12.65

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:40 am

I most recently packed one of these out to my bear bait pile and used it to dig the pit, chop some shooting lanes and clean/notch some of the logs I used to cover the pile (a portable hand saw is a better choice for actually cutting larger tree limbs or trunks to length of course). It can acceptably perform the duties of a machete, hatchet and shovel in one tool and holds up better than the folding entrenching tools I've compared it with. I ordered a couple extra so I have one in my camper plus each vehicle as well as my camping-hunting stash, can't go wrong at this price. Note that the shovel blade on these comes "machete sharp" from the factory and are made of carbon steel, you may want to hit the edge with some cold bluing and/or keep it oiled when not in use to avoid rust.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Specia ... B00169V99K

Sheath:

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Specia ... B0019FLI24

Specifications:

Weight: 26.6 oz
Overall Length: 19.68"
Handle: Hardwood
Thickness: 2mm (Shovel Head)

The Special Forces Shovel is modeled after the original Soviet Spetznaz shovel. The Spetznaz soldiers made up the most elite unit in the Soviet Army. The U.S. equivalent would be our Green Berets. The shovel head and socket are forged from medium carbon steel, then heat treated for maximum strength. The edges come sharpened to a utility/axe edge that can easily be improved to razor sharpness.
yuppiejr

Re: Cold Steel Special Forces (Spetsnaz style) Shovel - $12.65

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:18 am

.. It could also make a good shaving razor in a pinch:

yuppiejr

Postby Ironbear on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:51 am

Have thought about grabbing a couple of these for the car, as I think they would stand up to hacking ice/snow better than the lightweight backpack shovel I do carry. Interesting though, the amazon reviews... lots of great comments... then some calling it junk!? Makes me wonder if there are knock-offs going around???

Ohh, and that price is hard to ignore.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:19 am

I think some of the marketplace sellers are moving blemish/seconds products without giving them a unique UPC vs the new stuff, sometimes Amazon mixes their stock of items with the same UPC in their warehouse... On the plus side, Amazon has a really good return policy if you are not happy with an item. I've had good luck with all the Cold Steel products I've ordered on Amazon including these shovels, the Trail Hawk tomahawks and some of their bushman series knives. As functional utility products they are great, not always pretty or particularly well machined but hard to beat for the price.
yuppiejr

Return to Deals and Group Buys