PSA: Cheap AR, 6.8 SPC uppers

Post deals you find and organize group buys

PSA: Cheap AR, 6.8 SPC uppers

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 pm

I saw this the other day and it seems like a pretty killer deal for anyone who's considered hunting with their AR:

$389 complete 6.8 spc upper:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html

Upsides - it's got a proper milspec carpenter steel bolt, chrome lined hammer forged FN 1:11 twist LIGHT PROFILE barrel, midlength gas system...
Downside - it's got a pinned flash hider, so those of you with an upgrade fetish will need to do some extra work if you decide to free-float.

It's cheap, it's light, 6.8 spc doesn't lose much velocity in a short barrel... if you own an AR and want to take it hunting without the full Barbie treatment breaking the bank it's a great option.

Another option for anyone who wants to go a bit upmarket, for $450:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... gory/4235/

Upsides - 18" hammer forged (FN) 810 stainless steel 1:11 twist barrel, Midwest Industries Keymod 15" lightweight (9.9 oz with barrel nut) forend + 1 rail section (and 5 QD swivel mounting points) ..
Downsides - no bolt carrier/charging handle included, figure another $140 for the complete BCG (or $80 for the bolt alone) and $25 for the handle which brings it up to $615 for a pin-on and add optics ready upper.

44Mags.com has 10 and 25 round ASC mags for $13 bucks plus $5 to ship any quantity.... PSA has the Fusion 115 grain ammo for $19 a box, LAXAmmo has S&B FMJ plinking ammo for $14 a box and the Hornady SST 120 grain stuff for $20.
yuppiejr

Re: PSA: Cheap AR, 6.8 SPC uppers

Postby photogpat on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Just ordered the top one last night upon your recommendation!

Cheaper than I could build one for...the pinned muzzle device is a pain for free floating, but there's always the cut off wheel! :twisted:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Over in the 5.56 NATO/.223 world we have one sleeper deal and a good deal of the day from PSA right now:

$329 for a stainless, midlength 16" upper with a Vortex Strikefire thrown in...

eBay prices on current production (2013 or newer) Strikefire's seem to be around $130, $100 in your pocket after you throw in free shipping and fees (or just sell it on the forum) which makes it a $230ish stainless midlength upper:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... gory/4220/

Barrel: 416 Stainless steel. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. Barrel is finished off with a standard handguard, F-Marked gas sight base, and A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is machined to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

.. otherwise they also have their premium M4/carbine gassed premium upper for $259:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... /id/10306/

Barrel: 16" Chrome-lined, chrome moly vanadium. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. The M4 profile barrel is high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected and then phosphate coated. Barrel is finished off with an .750" diameter F-marked front sight base with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider. Barrel is made for us right here in SC by FN Manufacturing. Rollmarked "5.56 NATO 1/7 CL MP PALMETTO"

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring M4 feedramp cuts, T-marks, these upper upper receivers are made for us right here in the USA.

Each upper is assembled to order with US-made parts, and test fired to check gas function. Does not include bolt carrier group or charging handle.
yuppiejr

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:21 pm

You made my wallet $329 lighter.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:37 am

Looks like Palmetto has really upped their game on shipping turnaround times, less than a week for me from order-shipment on items requiring assembly on their end.
yuppiejr

Postby igofast on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 am

Same, I used to wait weeks - even for a flippin gift card. I just got in the habit that I would get my order sometime in the next month and be ok with that.

But my most recent complete upper order I placed on 7/1, shipped on 7/3, and delivered on 7/9. If it is indeed the new standard for them, I am much impressed.
igofast

Return to Deals and Group Buys