Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

A place to post documents and information

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

Postby Jon M. Abel on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 am

Anyone heard of this http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/ board members include Foundation’s Advisory Board, comprised of Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Tom Givens, Dennis Tueller and Network officers, Marty Hayes and Vincent Shuck
Thouhgts?
Jon M. Abel

Re: Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

Postby DanM on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:14 am

Yes i have. I found a link to Mas Ayoob's five-point checklist for use after a self-defense gun use. It goes like this:

1. Tell responding officers “I’m the victim; he is the perpetrator.”
2. Tell responding officers, “I will sign a complaint.”
3. Point out pertinent evidence.
4. Point out any witnesses who saw what happened.
5. If there is any hint that you are a suspect, say “Officer, you will have my full cooperation after I have spoken with counsel.”

It's discussed in the August 2010 issue of the ACLDN's publication 'Journal'. Which is accessible from their main web page.

I was under the impression that I would never say anything to the police if I had to defend myself or my loved ones, based on the following YouTube (I think this was referenced on this board somewhere):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Where the law professor and a (former?) police officer discuss why it's a bad idea to say anything.

Hope this doesn't drift the thread too much, but which is the best course of action?
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby DeanC on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 am

wdm004 wrote: but which is the best course of action?

You will not be able to remember those 5 things under the stress of just having shot a person and then being cuffed and stuffed. Best bet is to remember the word "lawyer" and that is all you need to say. You may have to say it repeatedly.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Don L on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 am

ACLDN was started by Marty & Gila Hays (Firearms Academy of Seattle) a few years ago. Members get a series of DVDs on legal issues, along with a newsletter, etc. Ayoob teaches some of his courses at FAS as well. Marty is also one of Ayoob's instructors for LFI. They would put students through a scenario of an LE response to a shooting the student was involved in, telling them to "stick to the prepared statement" (this was all recorded and later played back to the class). All the students said more to the LEO's then they meant to. A bit of an eye opener.
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

Postby DeanC on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:31 am

Don L wrote: All the students said more to the LEO's then they meant to. A bit of an eye opener.

Heh - and this was in a situation they knew was fake and knew how it was going to go down. :D
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Don L on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Yup. The point was that law-abiding citizens are used to co-operating with LEO's, and want to justify what they did.
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

Return to Reference