Registration User Agreement

Please read the rules before posting

Registration User Agreement

Postby Ironbear on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Well, I'm here!

While signing on, I did something I virtually never do…..

I read the fine print! Specifically the Registration User Agreement… I know… I know… I'm always supposed to read the fine print. But how often do we actually do that? Besides, I seem to be ending the week slightly more cynical that I started it…. :cry:

Anyway, I ended up having some questions about the User Agreement I just agreed to. I was wondering if the agreement is something specifically put together for this forum or some kind of boilerplate that comes with the software? Specifically…

User Agreement wrote:The phpBB software only facilitates Internet based discussions and the GPL strictly forbids them in what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct.

First of all… I don't really understand what that sentence means. It just doesn't parse for me. Does it mean that GPL specifically forbids discussions? Or that the GPL somehow controls content and/or conduct? Either way, the GPL only relates to the copying, modifying, distribution, licensing, etc. of GPL software, not content generated using software . I also suspect that the Free Software Foundation would be disturbed that the GPL was being interpreted in such a way that it was being used to control speech and behavior.

Anyway, moving on…

User Agreement wrote:You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or…

Slanderous and threatening probably have legal implications (as may abusive), so it seems reasonable to have them here. Restricting obscene, vulgar, and sexually-orientated posting is really defining what kind of environment we want here… a form of social contract. No problem. However, I cringe when I see "hateful." It is such an ambiguous term. I mean I could say something totally silly like "venison are ugly" or "bulldogs is tasty" and someone, somewhere would find it hateful (Heh, heh… I violated my agreement on my 1st post!). I guess I am just sensitive to the way the term "Hate" has been used to shut down discussion that people disagree with; or to tack ultra-extra-special-super-harsh punishment to actions that are already criminal! There isn't really anything, other that "things I disagree with", contained in hateful that isn't already covered by slanderous, threatening, or abusive, so why not eliminate a term that is being used as a justification for the punishment of Though Crimes and the ideological advancement of PfasCism.

User Agreement wrote:… or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “MNGunTalk.com” is hosted or International Law.

Do we really need to worry about violating international law? After all I am a citizen of the U.S.A. not a subject of the international court.

For reference, the entire User Agreement is here.
User Agreement wrote:By accessing “MNGunTalk.com” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “MNGunTalk.com”, “http://mnguntalk.com”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “MNGunTalk.com”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “MNGunTalk.com” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates Internet based discussions and the GPL strictly forbids them in what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “MNGunTalk.com” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “MNGunTalk.com” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “MNGunTalk.com” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

Discuss.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: Registration User Agreement

Postby rucker on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 pm

That's just the default, I have to be honest I haven't read it. I will look it over and update it.
rucker

Postby Thor on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:33 pm

"orientated" in the sense it is used in is an improper word. It SHOULD read, "sexually oriented". Lord how I hate what people have done to the English language. :roll:
Thor

Postby hammAR on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:06 pm

Thor wrote:"orientated"

I did once in Japan, does that count.........am I banned now...... :P

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby ttousi on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:19 pm

hammAR wrote:
Thor wrote:"orientated"

I did once in Japan, does that count.........am I banned now...... :P

only in Japan :P :P :lol: :lol:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Ironbear on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:36 am

It also occurs to me, that the rules or the User Agreement could say something against false statements, lies or deception. I'm not sure what the proper wording would be.

I'm just thinking EZ......
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby ttousi on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:34 am

Ironbear wrote:It also occurs to me, that the rules or the User Agreement could say something against false statements, lies or deception. I'm not sure what the proper wording would be.

How about "no trolls allowed" ?
Should work as well as the "gun free zone" signs
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Pat on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:07 am

Sounds like so much lawyerly boilerplate...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby hammAR on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:14 pm

ttousi wrote:
Ironbear wrote:It also occurs to me, that the rules or the User Agreement could say something against false statements, lies or deception. I'm not sure what the proper wording would be.

How about "no trolls allowed" ?
Should work as well as the "gun free zone" signs

Maybe we should have a "troll free zone" sign in the banner or whatever its called....... :D
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ironbear on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:16 am

Pat wrote:Sounds like so much lawyerly boilerplate...

Probably is. It just seems that certain expectations should be defined right up front. Not that everyone is going to listen to them.

hammAR wrote:Maybe we should have a "troll free zone" sign in the banner or whatever its called....... :D

An open, no bag limit season on trolls might just do the trick too. :evil:
Ironbear

Postby joelr on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:22 am

[deleted by poster]
Last edited by joelr on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
joelr

Postby SethB on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:01 pm

Saying "no trolls" gives an excuse to kick off trolls.

The boilerplate is seriously garbled (though not just here). The GPL says that if you modify the code and sell me a copy, you have to include (or make available to me for approximately free) the source, and can't make any restrictions on me redistributing copies. (Note that it doesn't force you to let me have a copy at all, or limit the price you can sell it to me for.)

I suspect there's a line or so missing in the middle.
SethB

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support