Suggest a new domain name

Please read the rules before posting

Re: Suggest a new domain name

Postby ree on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:46 pm

rucker wrote:MNGunTalk wins! :D

It might take awhile to start working but until it does (and forever) all of these domains will come here:
http://www.mnguntalk.com
http://www.mnshoot.com
http://www.tcshoot.com

Wow. The DNS replicated fast and they're all working already...for me.
ree

Postby Thor on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:49 pm

I know I'm a day late ..... it would have been nice to eliminate the "gun" word out of the url. I think that some work filters would catch that and not allow access.

ree, typically it's 24-48 hours for the DNS Servers to resolve. Some hosts are better than others.
Thor

Postby ree on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Thor wrote:ree, typically it's 24-48 hours for the DNS Servers to resolve. Some hosts are better than others.

Sure. I should have said, my DNS servers already have the updates and as an early sign that the addition of them was successful, the forums are functioning as expected via these new domain names.
ree

Postby brauchma on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Maybe want to redirect the tcchoot and mnshoot to mnguntalk? Better branding maybe? just a thought.
"Owning a gun doesn't make one a gunfighter any more that owning a Stradivarius violin makes one a concert violinist" - Col. Jeff Cooper

I think the gene pool needs more chlorine
brauchma

Postby hammAR on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Thor wrote:I know I'm a day late ..... it would have been nice to eliminate the "gun" word out of the url. I think that some work filters would catch that and not allow access.

ree, typically it's 24-48 hours for the DNS Servers to resolve. Some hosts are better than others.

I will never get used to calling you Thor, especially if you are always going to be a day late........ :o

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby rucker on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:06 pm

brauchma wrote:Maybe want to redirect the tcchoot and mnshoot to mnguntalk? Better branding maybe? just a thought.

Doh, you're right :x In a day or two when we are sure that MNGunTalk works for everyone I will change that. I didn't realize that you would stay on whatever domain name you type in.
rucker

Postby SethB on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:26 pm

I don't think it should redirect; that ensures that they get caught by filters on the domain name.

In fact, if all the links are relative, any domain pointing to the right IP address can be made to work (might automagically work, depending on your setup). So someone could register fluffybunnies.com and point it here so their filter would see something nice.
SethB

Postby rucker on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:40 pm

SethB wrote:I don't think it should redirect; that ensures that they get caught by filters on the domain name.

In fact, if all the links are relative, any domain pointing to the right IP address can be made to work (might automagically work, depending on your setup). So someone could register fluffybunnies.com and point it here so their filter would see something nice.

Give me a week and I will register something nice that won't get blocked. Honestly, I can't afford another $8.95 domain at the moment :oops:
rucker

Postby glock+ipod on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:06 pm

rucker wrote:Give me a week and I will register something nice that won't get blocked. Honestly, I can't afford another $8.95 domain at the moment :oops:

Tip jar?
Sliced bread? Nah. Modern Isosceles
glock+ipod

Postby rucker on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:07 pm

glock+ipod wrote:
rucker wrote:Give me a week and I will register something nice that won't get blocked. Honestly, I can't afford another $8.95 domain at the moment :oops:

Tip jar?

Once I move it to real hosting I might ask. Now, it's just my own damn fault for spending all my money on guns :lol:
rucker

Postby 1911fan on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:18 pm

well to us, carry mean carrying a gun , i really doubt most filters would make the same association.

maybe minncarry.com or something could be tried to see if it slips past filters, I do not know, but were most people able to get tccarry to slip by?

Just asking...or maybe mnoutdoorrec or something benign like that....
1911fan

Postby ttousi on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:36 pm

mnheat :roll:

nokeys&lemonade :lol:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby ree on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:40 am

SethB wrote:I don't think it should redirect; that ensures that they get caught by filters on the domain name.

As it is now, unless you go to tcshoot.com it won't remember that you're logged. I'm guessing it's because all the domains are only serving up a tcshoot.com specific cookie and unless you are browsing via that domain name, mnguntalk.com and the other domains don't have access to the tcshoot.com cookie.

So unless rucker's going to figure out how to get each domain to do auto login properly, it probably is best to have them all redirect to mnguntalk.com, or the ultimate domain name winner once the DNS is fully replicated.
ree

Postby Srigs on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 am

Good name (MNGunTalk.com) I like it. :D
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby matt160 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:40 am

If gun & shoot (or freedom) are left out then most people can access them from work.
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
matt160

PreviousNext

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support