Adding photos to a post

Please read the rules before posting

Adding photos to a post

Postby flyhigh511 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 am

Hate to start off with a stupid question. But..... I checked FAQ's don't see it. I just made first post and wanted to add photo.
Clicked add attachment, received message " file too large".
What did I do wrong?

Thanks
flyhigh511

Re: Adding photos to a post

Postby nyffman on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 am

I can't remember the exact max size, but I think it's 512k. I usually edit pics down to 6 inches wide max so they don't mess up the entire thread, then reduce the pixel/in as much as needed to get under the limit.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Stradawhovious on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:55 am

You can also host the pics in something like photobucket, then add the link. The file size doesn't matter then.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby ttousi on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Need to resize or host elsewhere as suggested......600x800 pixels (or something close works well.)
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:59 pm

If you're not up on all the resizing and hosting stuff, feel free to attach it to an email to me or just PM me and I'd be happy to help you out. Some of these punks tend to assume everybody else works or plays at a computer 24/7. ;)
Pat Cannon

Postby farmerj on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:If you're not up on all the resizing and hosting stuff, feel free to attach it to an email to me or just PM me and I'd be happy to help you out. Some of these punks tend to assume everybody else works or plays at a computer 24/7. ;)

Ya mean most don't? Welll.....What's next...running water?
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby flyhigh511 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:30 am

Thanks Pat !! That's a very gracious offer!
flyhigh511

Postby mnglocker on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:09 am

I like elmers glue sticks. First I put a little on the picture, then I put some on the screen, count to 10 and stick it on. :mrgreen:
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Stradawhovious on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:16 am

mnglocker wrote:I like elmers glue sticks.

You're allowed to use the glue sticks again? Not that long ago they were taken away from you because you kept eating them....... :?
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby mnglocker on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
mnglocker wrote:I like elmers glue sticks.

You're allowed to use the glue sticks again? Not that long ago they were taken away from you because you kept eating them....... :?

I prefer ModPodge... It's minty. :mrgreen:
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:03 pm

I've always used the hosting route, where you've already uploaded the image someplace, so just as a test I'm going to attach an image to see how it's done. So I see there's a tab down below that says "Upload attachment"... OK, a Browse button... Click through folders on my hard drive, choose an image, click "Add the file." Wait about 20 seconds. A field appears labeled "File comment:" so I add a comment and click on the "Place inline" button...

That seemed to work. Preview... That seems to work. Submit. OK, that was too easy, I'll go look for a large image.
Attachments
P1000869.JPG
A speed strip of .357 Magnum 125 Montana Gold JHP, with pocket lint.
Pat Cannon

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:45 pm

OK, here's a 3 MB image from my friend who has a fancier camera than me... Upload... Browse... Add... wait... wait.. apparently you can go ahead and type while you're waiting... a couple minutes... ooh: "The image file you tried to attach is invalid." That's not very informative, is it?

It's JPG format so file type isn't the issue, so as we kinda knew it must be the size. Let's pretend I was too honest to steal a copy of Photoshop from my employer, and I need to resize the image some other way. I googled "free photo editor" and found Picnik.com. I see Picnik (note the odd spelling which I have now edited this post twice to correct) just got acquired by Google, so I figure they must be cool. Plus maybe my images will absorb some of the good karma from some guys who just sold out for big bucks.

At Picnik, you don't have to create an account or anything, just click the Upload button. It reads in your photo and among other things, there appears a Resize button. I changed the width from 2804 pixels to 800. Then just for the heck of it I went in Color and cranked up the Saturation about 20. Clicked on Save & Share tab, renamed it and saved it back to my computer. Pretty easy.

OK, back to here. Upload... Browse... pick the new & improved version... Add... Seemed to work... :) Add caption... Submit. Ta-da!
Attachments
chad_dan_800px.jpg
Neither of these guys is me but I got to eat some of this fish.
Pat Cannon

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Oh, yeah, I'd just like to point out one other thing that you should keep in mind: if it's uploaded here, you might not have access to it if the forum management is taken over by evil people who ban you. In a case like that, you also might not be able to delete it if you suddenly realize that there's something incriminating in there that you didn't notice at first because you were so overcome by how funny it was.

But realistically, that has nothing to do with you, or me.

I'm pretty sure.
Pat Cannon

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support