Posting restrictions Effective immediately

Please read the rules before posting

Posting restrictions Effective immediately

Postby ttousi on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:41 am

http://righthavenvictims.blogspot.com/p ... apers.html

Do NOT blog or post ANY stories coming from these sources. These newspapers have aligned with Righthaven to sue bloggers, small businesses and non-profits in "shake down" lawsuits. We have been targeted because of a news story posted by a member.

The link contains places we do not want to utilize to eliminate future problems.

So do the following:

Provide a link to the story and a brief summary in your own words or copy the headline, 1st paragraph (at most) or the 1st sentence.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Re: Posting restrictions Effective immediately

Postby JoeH on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:52 am

No one knows which publications will start suing in the future. Why not just post links for all articles regardless of the site from which they came?
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby ttousi on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:59 am

From my quick research

Copy the headline and first paragraph or sentence then link to the story and we should be OK

or a summary in your own words and a link
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby hammAR on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:11 pm

JoeH wrote:No one knows which publications will start suing in the future. Why not just post links for all articles regardless of the site from which they came?

That is the simplest solution.......... :|
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby macphisto on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:26 pm

hammAR wrote:
JoeH wrote:No one knows which publications will start suing in the future. Why not just post links for all articles regardless of the site from which they came?

I thought you didn't DO links. :?
macphisto

Postby tman on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't usually click a link to a story, unless I think I might be interested in it. Hard to tell with just a link.

PLEASE either post a quick summary or quote..
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby hammAR on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:49 pm

macphisto wrote:
hammAR wrote:

I thought you didn't DO links. :?

Couldn't find a "pulling you crank" smilie...... :?
You are correct, I don't do links.......or name tags...... :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Unfortunately a lot of stories are discarded after a short period of time and no longer accessible from their original source. Re-posting the original article ensures it's available for reference in the future, and that it hasn't been changed since it was originally put online. It's a shame certain people want to limit and restrict the information that's easily available on the Internet.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby tman on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:23 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:It's a shame certain people want to limit and restrict the information that's easily available on the Internet.

Isn't that the point? Trying to make it less easily available on the net?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Pitel on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:27 pm

So if I can ask a dumb question, what is the basis of the lawsuit? Copywrite infringement? What does "alignment" from the newspapers mean? Are they funding? Or if it's infringement, is it their copy writes?
Pitel

Postby EAJuggalo on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Righthaven has purchased the copyrights to the material from those newspapers and is spam-sueing anyone who re-posts the articles.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Pitel wrote:So if I can ask a dumb question, what is the basis of the lawsuit? Copywrite infringement? What does "alignment" from the newspapers mean? Are they funding? Or if it's infringement, is it their copy writes?

A bit of an explanation here:

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/20 ... c-and.html

This could change the interweb
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby mitchx3 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 pm

C/P the text to something like this:
http://freetexthost.com/ (don't know how long they retain data)
link to them.

Liability shifted to user/texthost
mitchx3

Postby GeekyGunman on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:08 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:It's a shame certain people want to limit and restrict the information that's easily available on the Internet.

Just because it's "on the internet" doesn't mean it's legal - or free to use. They also are not restricting any information whatsoever.

The issue at hand is the verbatim copy and paste re-posting of articles, which is basically full on copyright infringement.

The news itself (the story) isn't copyrighted, so you can summarize it or rewrite it in your own words. So the information is not actually facing any restriction. Just their exact and specific writing and wording about it. Similarly, posting a few lines out of it (as you would when quoting a source) is also permissible.

Imagine if this was a mailing list instead of a forum and you needed to make reference to a news story. So you made photocopies of the newspaper and sent it out.
See how that's not really fair to the publisher? Same argument. It's really very cut and dry.

The only "new" thing here is that they are going after the small mom-and-pops which had been previously passed over not because of the legality, but rather that they simply don't have enough money to be worth their time. The change of strategy, likely, is that many people are starting to rely on blogs/forums exclusively and it's heavily eating into their advertising revenue.

So they sue a few people and maybe break even, but then also scare the bajesus out of everyone else.

The only truly scary/unfair part of this, is that DMCA safe harbor laws don't apply unless you have specifically designated and registered a contact. It appears to have been in the law previously, but this may be the first time it's been tested. It seems unfair to prosecute innocent service providers who have agreed to comply with the takedown request. It's at least an unintended side-effect, because usually it's not worth suing the small fry.
GeekyGunman

Postby 1911fan on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 pm

I heard rumors today that many of the large hosters are going to band together to fight this. that would create a legal entity that would have enough $$ to fight effectively. I think if host sites did form a trade association and go after this mellon head, they would have a very good chance to prove that the DMCA was intended to prevent this type of spam suits.

Oh, and Ea, Its good to see you back posting again. Was wondering what had happened to you.
1911fan

Next

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support