Helping 1911fan's family.

Please read the rules before posting

Helping 1911fan's family.

Postby RobD on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:01 am

Some people have contacted me privately, and many have posted publically about offering help to Pete's family.

I know there are those willing to help financially, and those willing to fundraise.

Rather than have everyone contacting the family in this difficult time, perhaps we can have one "ambassador" coordinate the efforts. Contact the family, find out what we can do, and coordinate it for them.

I'm willing to take this on, I have met his family once, but would gladly concede the responsibility and honor to anyone who has a closer connection to the family.

I want to get going on this ASAP. Please let me know your thoughts.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Re: Helping 1911fan's family.

Postby bstrawse on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:55 am

I'm happy to help. Andrew has already posted something, so perhaps the two of you should connect & coordinate.

I'm out of town the next 10 days but will be checking in on the forum - happy to contribute financially, and I can certainly do something in person once I get back

Thanks for doing this -
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby westberg on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:57 am

There had already been plans to meet at Alary's Thursday evening 10/13, I'll be there at about 1700. This gathering has now changed to remembrance of Pete. Everybody is welcome and donations I'm sure will be taken and can be handed off to Rob or anybody else that steps up.
westberg

Postby RobD on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 am

westberg wrote:There had already been plans to meet at Alary's Thursday evening 10/13, I'll be there at about 1700. This gathering has now changed to remembrance of Pete. Everybody is welcome and donations I'm sure will be taken and can be handed off to Rob or anybody else that steps up.

I'll be there.

For now, unless anyone has objections, I'll contact the family, and try to identify how we can help, and what needs they have.

ETA:

I created a spreadsheet so we can identify who in the community is willing to help, and how.

Please click the link, and fill out your info (Will only be shown to me/ Petes family - if permitted) ... Once we know what is needed, I'll connect with the people who can help out.

http://goo.gl/10QJk
RobD

Postby RobD on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Hey all....

I've been in touch with the family, and the funeral is still being planned... They have enough money to cover the costs, but things will be tight, and financial contributions would be welcomed.

Checks / Cards can be sent to me at:

Or delivered to Alary's tonight.
(make checks out to Kathy Franzen)

I am also in the process of organizing a yard crew to come by and do some leaf bagging. If you're interested, please fill out the form in my previous post.

Finally, baked goods and treats are welcomed. They have family coming in this week, and there may be some need for prepped meals in the future.
Last edited by RobD on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobD

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:28 pm

How about a rummage sale or auction here on the boards with all proceeds going to the Franzen family? Maybe set up a PayPal account and after the donation goes through the buyer gets the item.

I'm sure all of us here have a few things they could part with. I know I do.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Squib Joe wrote:How about a rummage sale or auction here on the boards with all proceeds going to the Franzen family? Maybe set up a PayPal account and after the donation goes through the buyer gets the item.

Is be willing to put a few things up for this. Sounds like a great idea.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby JJ on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Squib Joe wrote:How about a rummage sale or auction here on the boards with all proceeds going to the Franzen family? Maybe set up a PayPal account and after the donation goes through the buyer gets the item.

I like this idea. I am out of town next week, but have a thing or two I would throw in when i get back.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Should work if we have all listings, offers, and payments posted in the Rummage Sale thread and keep it transparent. Hate to think that somebody would use this as an opportunity to pull a scam but it wouldn't be possible if the transactions are somewhat public. I have a verified account that could be used but if Kathy or somebody close to the family has one that would be better.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby westberg on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Here is the update on donations from Alary's last night;

$600.00 very generous from thunderoussilence from the sale of his Sig
$360.00 in cash nobody wanted their names to
1 mystery envelope

Thank you, it was a great turn out to honor a great man.
westberg

Postby David on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:51 pm

I heard a number of people comment that what they gave last night was just what they had on them, so I'm guessing that if there's a need, the family can count on more from the people here. Please keep the board updated, and thanks for coordinating this last night, Ron!
David

Postby farmerj on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:44 pm

An event like this would be great for a "silent pistols" forum.

Only place to allow for benefit type events and people would fully understand the situation.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support