A thought on "rules"

Please read the rules before posting

A thought on "rules"

Postby plblark on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:40 am

While I can appreciate the much more active presence of our overlords, I can't help but think their recent proclivity for warnings with sparse or nonexistent explanation is somewhat counterproductive.

I received 2 warnings recently. Descriptions: you know what you did, or read the rules. First one was a bump < 72 hours where I updated the package deal. No problem, my bad. I read the rules and apologized.

The latest? I haven't a clue.
Warning: read the rules
With a link that when clicked talks me I can't read it

Look, we have a lot of rules and without some clue I can't even figure out the subject, let alone the rule or how I broke it.

Maybe quote the infraction?
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Re: A thought on "rules"

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:56 am

The warnings I've received have all had very detailed explainations.

Maybe this varys mod to mod.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby SmoothAR on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:00 am

+1 similar experience here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
SmoothAR

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 am

plblark wrote:While I can appreciate the much more active presence of our overlords, I can't help but think their recent proclivity for warnings with sparse or nonexistent explanation is somewhat counterproductive.

I was told to "take a week off" because I insulted someone who was insulting other forum members. Then apparently I was banned for an entire month because I didn't take this voluntary vacation from posting.

Maybe it's not counterproductive. Maybe they're just letting you know they don't want you to be an active contributing member on this forum. You can always hang out on the carryforum with Andrew.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby plblark on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:40 am

Both my warnings were from Cobb if that helps diagnose the issue.

It MUST have been a comment I made. That much I'm sure of. But Isn't that what we do here? Comment on stuff? Are we trying to stamp that out?

Seriously, I made several comments in the last few days. Which one and what is the issue? IDK, because he didn't tell me and I can't see it so I can't even change my behavior

Given that the recent rules were changed in Marketplace and Posting of classes IIRC, is this a marketplace issue i.e. the forum we're all supposed to pretend doesn't exist and by no means comment in?
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby ttousi on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:20 am

Given that the recent rules were changed in Marketplace and Posting of classes IIRC, is this a marketplace issue i.e. the forum we're all supposed to pretend doesn't exist and by no means comment in?

short and sweet..........

Marketplace rules were modified due to numerous complaints from OP's and other members ..to wit

* thread derailment
* discussions on pro's and cons of product which are better served in their own thread
* negative comments on pricing
* bumps within hours
* OP bump then deletion of previous bump to make it appear as only one bump

Modifications were made after looking at the rules on other forums and discussion of same.

Seriously, I made several comments in the last few days. Which one and what is the issue? IDK, because he didn't tell me and I can't see it so I can't even change my behavior

Suggest you ask cobb via PM if you haven't already

signed, overlord
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 am

ttousi wrote:signed, overlord

:rotf:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby plblark on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:33 am

ttousi wrote:Suggest you ask cobb via PM if you haven't already
signed, overlord

I did. He hasn't read it yet. So I'm in limbo until the specific mod that issued the warning comes online?
plblark wrote:I'm wondering what I did since I click that link and get a you cannot read posts message.

Sounds like another reason to let the user know what rule they've broken and reference the post so they can see it and not do it again, eh?
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby ttousi on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 am

plblark wrote:I'm wondering what I did since I click that link and get a you cannot read posts message.

Post is more than likely in Purgatory which is why the link won't take you to it.
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby plblark on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 am

That's my assumption. I tried to look around and see what I might have done but if it's moved to non-public, it won't show up and any way I could have to check other threads I had contributed in would be gone as well.

Suggestion: before hitting the warn user button, hit quote, copy, warn, paste in the quote as the issue with maybe a small blurb to what rule they broke. Since the mod is issuing the warning, the mod obviously knows what rule they're enforcing, the user might not or may not realize they were outside it?
IDRemember if that's how the warnings come to you or if it's an option.
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby ttousi on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 am

I'm not sure how many characters are allowed in the explanation line of the warning but I'll look into it
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

ttousi

Postby tman on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 am

You bumped a sale thread yesterday or the day before, by making a very nice comment about the seller. I can't seem to find it now.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby plblark on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:48 am

ttousi wrote:I'm not sure how many characters are allowed in the explanation line of the warning but I'll look into it

Thank you.
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby tacticalninja32 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 am

I got a message too for one of my thread, not so much a warning but like a message of "ok I will be scrutinizing your every move." and all I did was update a status of an item, and it was a second post in the item and far exceed "the 72hours bump rule"
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 am

Just had a thread removed for forgetting the location, I goofed - I'll repost with proper info.

He was kind enough to include the text of the ad to save me re-typing! :)

No complaints but a quick reminder note would have been easier, I could have just as easily edited the title or original post to include the location - which is in my profile.

<-- Right here.
Thunder71

Next

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support