A thought on "rules"

Please read the rules before posting

A thought on "rules"

Postby plblark on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Paul wrote:
Blark wrote: The bump it and leave it (No deleting previous bumps!) I don't get especially in conjunction with the x hours bump rule. seems to clear up thread clutter, right?

As one of the two folks that members constantly complained about for this very reason, prompting the rule change, I can understand why you don't like it.

Remember when I gently tried to tell you that folks were finding it annoying? All you had to say that it isn't against the rules. So... We had to make a rule because folks couldn't reasonably moderate themselves with subtle guidance.

Thanks.

I do remember your mentioning the other member and that I was doing it though certainly not to tge same scale. I didn't realize there had been complaints about my behavior.

If people were less passive aggressive and called it like they see it publicly we wouldn't have this go to teacher for a broad rule affecting everyone just to fix two people.

You know, a public post like: I've noticed a lot of deleting bumps and rebounding. What's up with that? To which I'd reply that 27 bumps in a thread scrolls a lot on a phone and I think the delete and bump is cleaner.

As I said, the 72 hour bump limit seems live able.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Re: A thought on "rules"

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:26 pm

I did it, so I'm almost positive one of them was me - never in a million years would I have thought it would cause an issue let alone a rule change. Heck, I thought it was the proper and polite thing to do... go figure.

I thought it kept the thread clean, I mean a bump is a bump, why have 10 posts in a thread that say 'bump' or whatever clever thing you can think of at the time?

Whatever.
Thunder71

Postby Grayskies on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
Grayskies wrote:Could they move the forum to a new site? Or just start a new one and lock this one down?

Yeah.... that's the answer! A new MN based firearms forum!

MNGuntalk

MNGunchat

MNGunsite

The Carry Forum

Twin Cities Carry

and now. coming soon ???

Sign me up. :lol:

Just thought they could transfer the data base to a new server, also transfer the site name ownership to the mods so updates can be made to the phpbb's programs and make it easier for the mods to manage this board.

Sorry if you find that funny... :|
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Shipyard on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:17 am

TH3180 wrote:
cobb wrote:
TH3180 wrote:Am I to assume I'm not going to get an answer to my question?

Sure, but I thought you would have figured it out. Basically you are free to leave anytime you want, nobody is keeping you here, that's all.

I've read my post a few times and I didn't say I was going to leave if things didn't change or anyhing like that. I gave my opinion. Is that not allowed anymore or is that your way of saying I'm not welcome here anymore? You prompted me to post what I thought and I did. Thank you for clearing that up, I think.

My thoughts:

No one is demanding that the mod team remain mods either, it goes both ways. It obviously isn't an elected position, no pay involved. It seems like it would be as effective for a mod to ignore a comment/complaint as it would be for anyone else around here.....

Several people have offered to help and have offered ideas to help. Doesn't seem like any of them have been taken up on it or have been put into much practice.

It is what it is I guess. Seems unfair to tell someone "if you don't like it you can leave" when ANYONE could just leave if they we're upset about it..... But that's the childish easy way out now isn't it?

It would seem that there are avenues of discussion and solution that shouldn't have to end up at the lowest form of "
Well **** offs if you dont like it....."
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby tacticalninja32 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:28 am

Shipyard wrote:

My thoughts:

No one is demanding that the mod team remain mods either, it goes both ways. It obviously isn't an elected position, no pay involved. It seems like it would be as effective for a mod to ignore a comment/complaint as it would be for anyone else around here.....

Several people have offered to help and have offered ideas to help. Doesn't seem like any of them have been taken up on it or have been put into much practice.

It is what it is I guess. Seems unfair to tell someone "if you don't like it you can leave" when ANYONE could just leave if they we're upset about it..... But that's the childish easy way out now isn't it?

It would seem that there are avenues of discussion and solution that shouldn't have to end up at the lowest form of "
Well **** offs if you dont like it....."

So you're saying we should act like grown adults and be able to work this out???......
**** NO! THIS IS SPARTA
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby snlit3 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:40 am

For anybody who thinks that strict rules doesn't drive people off you're wrong.

punch owned the local forum TCstangs, when he owned it the forum was a free for all.

D9 purchases the forum and creates a firm rules list with new mods. (still not as strict as the new rules here)

forum goes to a complete ghost town in a matter of months. if i were to guess for a while it may have had a third or half the traffic it once had.
snlit3

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:02 pm

I belong to a fourm that allows you to 'Thank' a poster for his post.

The total of thanks is displayed in the avatar box along with your total posts.

It would get a lot of use here if enabled.

Haven't seen a 'thumbs down' option though that would be fun as well.

:)
Humphrey Bogart

Postby RobD on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Just thought they could transfer the data base to a new server, also transfer the site name ownership to the mods so updates can be made to the phpbb's programs and make it easier for the mods to manage this board.

That would require Database access from the host... and an owner willing to transfer.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Grayskies on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 pm

RobD wrote:
Grayskies wrote:

That would require Database access from the host... and an owner willing to transfer.

I would guess if the same server company was used they would have no problems with the database transfer. As for the owner, I am told he is not present (if I am wong let me know) we could lose the site from non-payment.

PHPBBS Has security holes in it, which is why it needs to be updated, we could lose the entire forum to some hacker.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

A thought on "rules"

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:38 am

I personally don't see how problem with "negative comments on pricing" so long as its respectful.

"Let me know when your high wears off" is not as bad as "you're a price gouging twit". That's my opinion anyway and that's the market at work. We're all adults here and yes while that means we can and should be courteous and respectful it also doesn't mean we need to be coddled, controlled, and wrapped in bubble wrap. I would go to a different forum but haven't found one so here I remain.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby t140 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 am

I had a couple threads deleted recently with no explanation.

You'd think that after the second time, whoever did it would at least tell me what was wrong. I didn't even get a message, it was just gone when I looked for it.
t140

Previous

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support