How about a commercial marketplace section for dealers

Please read the rules before posting

Postby MaryB on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm

How about a commercial section for dealers or builders or accessory sellers like myself? Would get it out of the regular for sale items and let us update things as needed.
MaryB

Re: How about a commercial marketplace section for dealers

Postby cobb on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:13 pm

It has been talked about, a dealer only area, but the same rules as far as updating or bumping. I guess I am a bit confused, you can update a sale a now, either in the original thread or wait 72 hours to post to update/bump. You cannot bump 2 or 3 times a day or delete your post every few hours and re-list to keep it at the top. Yep, that is why the 72 hour rule was implemented, several did exactly that in the past. The thought was that is you identified yourself as a dealer, then you could only list sales in the dealer area, a dealer would not be allowed to post sales under the other headings in the Market Place. You are either a dealer or you are not, your choice. Also a dealer would only be allowed 3 or maybe 5 sales thread at a time. Dealers would have to request access, then they could post, any questions by prospective buyers would have to be to the dealer by PM, e-mail or phone, which the dealer would have in his sale thread, just like if they ran an ad in the paper.

Thoughts?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Bignuts on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:26 am

On another forum I regularly read dealers have their own section and each deal has a sub heading were they can have items listed like a kiosk in the mall.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Bignuts

Postby DoxaPar on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:48 am

Bignuts wrote:On another forum I regularly read dealers have their own section and each deal has a sub heading were they can have items listed like a kiosk in the mall.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Likewise. The main reason I like that is because it gives a good place to go when you happen to be looking for a particular item. For example, recently I wanted to purchase some mag pouches. No one in particular was listing them but since there was a commercial (they actually call it "sponsors") section I just went there, found someone that makes custom pouches and contacted them. It's a nice way to keep things local and support people here who are in the biz.
DoxaPar

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:59 am

Any dealer/seller could set up a rolling "garage sale" thread and continue updating the contents of the original post as item selection changes (with bumps every 72 hours) in the current Marketplace forums. I think a lot of forums implement a separate commercial sales section because they acknowledge that commercial sellers are effectively profiting from use of the site and charge a nominal fee which gets used to help offset costs to operate the site.

Since this is a free-to-use site and traffic in the marketplace sections has slowed down significantly since the 72-hour bump rules + '12/'13 panic I just don't see the need or benefit of adding another subforum to manage and moderate?
yuppiejr

Postby dtapper2 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:34 pm

I think this is the first time COBB and I see eye to eye. No offense, of course. I think it's a great idea.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby cobb on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:51 pm

dtapper2 wrote:I think this is the first time COBB and I see eye to eye. No offense, of course. I think it's a great idea.

Gee that would be great if it was my idea. :cry:

The request came about a month ago from a person that sells commercially here, just never got the details worked out.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby MaryB on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:09 pm

That was my thought, each dealer would have their own sub forum with unlimited updates. No competition to stay on top at all but more freedom. If someone was looking for reloading supplies they could look thru those ads only, engraving just my ads. No searching the general classifieds.
MaryB

Return to The Rules, Announcements & Support