Want To Try (shoot) a Kel Tec PF-9

Loan holsters or other equipment to other users

Want To Try (shoot) a Kel Tec PF-9

Postby JustinPo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 pm

I am looking to buy a Kel Tec PF-9 but wanted to try shooting one first. Is anyone going to the Burnsville Pistol Range or Bills South this weekend or next week that has one I could try out? I have a fair collection (1911, xd9, USP 45, PPQ, AR 15) that I could bring so the sharing isn't one sided. I would bring my own factory ammo to shoot in it, and would ask the same be done for guns.

Text or call me at 952 four six five 4549 or email me at justinpo@comcast.net, or send me a PM.

Justin P
JustinPo

Re: Want To Try (shoot) a Kel Tec PF-9

Postby gunsmith on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:07 pm

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f95/

Above is the Kel-Tec forum...most focused source of info on KT products. Don't have one to lend but if you read up on that forum one type of ammo the gun doesn't like is Winchester White Box for whatever reason. Use Federal Premium.
#2 I LIKE the mule kick the gun has.... nothing like my G-30 which is very smooth.
#3 This is an emergency gun only ....don't expect it to perform like a 'real gun'
#4 For $100 more you can get a S&W Shield ($400) it's a different animal from what I hear. It doesn't pocket carry like the PF-9 as it's a notch bigger.
#5 If I had to do it all over again I'd go with the Shield.
#6 I had to put a lot of time into fine tuning my PF-9...replacing extactors and mag catches with upgraded versions from the factory....mine runs fine now after lots of fluff and buff.

The gun operates at the very edge of power /vs reliability....you need to know that. The Shield is just enough heavier / bigger that it doesn't have the problems of the PF-9...

The real beauty of the PF-9 is that it's in your pocket and you don't know it...just like a .380

You need to have the right expectations going in. And again I like the kick but your hand will hurt after 50 rounds.

Additionally the gun is sensitive to 'Limp Wristing' because of the light weight of all the parts.
gunsmith

Re: Want To Try (shoot) a Kel Tec PF-9

Postby old guy on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm

I have two of them for now, the guy I bought one from wants to buy it back.
Neither have ever given me any trouble whatsoever, the recoil is not that bad ,I put 500 rds of russian steel case through one of em in an afternoon, 50 yd accuracy was really surprizing also.
I carryed one in an ankle holster a lot (daily) in the last year because of where I had to be and would forget it was there till bedtime.

John
old guy

Return to Loaner Forum