Doctors asking about guns?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Doctors asking about guns?

Postby Bessy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:11 pm

So here's the deal,
My wife is a nurse, she tells me that it's now company policy during a routine exam to ask about firearm ownership. Especially if you have children. I've had this happen to me a couple of times, and never knew how to respond, other than say yes, receive a very brief often inaccurate lecture on "firearms safety", and go on.

Here's a link discussing this phenomenon
http://www.gunsandhunting.com/forum/blo ... wentry=930

The article is interesting in that it points out a plethora of other safety issues that doctors don't ask about, that pose a far more serious threat to children than firearms.

Have you had this happen to you? What was your response?
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Re: Doctors asking about guns?

Postby Widge on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 pm

My response (and in MHO, your response): 'No'.
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Postby tt3 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:20 pm

We leave that question blank at the ped's when it shows up on the yearly survey. I don't ask the NRA about my kids health issues, I don't expect the AMA to offer any advice about my guns.
tt3

Postby Red 9 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:35 pm

I had surgery a few years ago and one of the first questions they asked during my screening was if I owned any guns. I just said no because frankly I didn't think it was any of their business.
Red 9

Postby drkarrow on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:17 pm

I understand that the urge to just lie and say no to the doctor. We're in a hurry, it's not what we're there for, we've heard it all before and we're sick of it.

But I urge everyone to stand proud. Hiding in the closet does nothing to further our cause. You alone arguing with your doctor may not change his mind, but if every gun owner proudly proclaims "yes I do!" and corrects the doctors on their mistakes, eventually we can turn a few.

Hiding our guns like dirty little secrets that we should never tell anyone about only reinforces the wrong opinions.
drkarrow

Postby jgalt on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Why is "None of your business" not your preferred answer? Because it isn't any of their business... The question-asker will likely assume you have one or more, but who cares? I understand the 'stand proud' attitude and I would go that route over "no", but c'mon - it's none of their business.
jgalt

Postby Paul on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:29 pm

jgalt wrote:Why is "None of your business" not your preferred answer? Because it isn't any of their business... The question-asker will likely assume you have one or more, but who cares? I understand the 'stand proud' attitude and I would go that route over "no", but c'mon - it's none of their business.

+1

But I wouldn't answer 95% of their other questions either that are unrelated to the reason I am at the clinic at that particular moment.
Paul

Postby jgalt on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 pm

user842 wrote:
jgalt wrote:Why is "None of your business" not your preferred answer? Because it isn't any of their business... The question-asker will likely assume you have one or more, but who cares? I understand the 'stand proud' attitude and I would go that route over "no", but c'mon - it's none of their business.

+1

But I wouldn't answer 95% of their other questions either that are unrelated to the reason I am at the clinic at that particular moment.

and +1 right back at ya'... Patients get such limited time with doctors nowadays, that it is ridiculous to waste any of that limited time on irrelevant questions.
jgalt

Postby lenny7 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 pm

They asked me that a couple of years ago when I went in for an infection. I replied incredulously, but as nicely as I could, "What in the hell does that have to do with my infection??" The nurse gave me the standard, "it's just something we have to ask".

Then she asks, "do you feel safe in your environment?" and I replied, in a hushed tone, "you mean safe from the zombies???".

I've told my kids that when asked about guns by anyone to say "no", or "I don't know".
lenny7

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:38 pm

I work at a call center at an insurance company, and field questions about this more often than you'd think. The doctors have taken to saying that it is a requirement of the insurance company, which as far as our policy is concerned is pure BS. I think that it is standard fare when digging for potential abuse or dangerous situations. IMHO BS. If you think someone is beating their children, call the police. If not, stay the **** out of it and stick to the tongue depressor.

IMHO of course.
Last edited by Stradawhovious on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby ex-LT on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:40 pm

I haven't been asked that question at the doctor's office, but every year - for insurance purposes - I have to fill out a "health questionnaire", and one (optional) section in that is on gun ownership. I opt to not answer that section, because I feel it's none of their GD business.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Paul on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:41 pm

lenny7 wrote:Then she asks, "do you feel safe in your environment?" and I replied, in a hushed tone, "you mean safe from the zombies???".

You should have told the nurse, "Yes, because I have guns". :lol:
Paul

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 pm

I treat doctors about like I would a LEO if I was in a bad situation. By that I mean, my mouth stays shut unless they need to hear something incredibly important. Anything you tell a doctor can and is written down in your medical record where it stays for a very long time.

For instance. Broke my hand thursday night. Urgent care doctor asked how it happened. I told her in as few words as possible. Doctor might as well have worn a big sign on her forehead saying "I think you hit your significant other!" She was not very professional to say the least. She also knew little more than nothing about me and my situation.

Do you really want somebody like this making judgements and writing these things down in your permanent records? They don't need to know, and the more you tell them will ONLY hurt you not help you.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:49 pm

EJSG19 wrote: Doctor might as well have worn a big sign on her forehead saying "I think you hit your significant other!"

Dumbest thing I ever heard. Anyone that knows her knows that if you took a swing at her, Lady D would feed you your fist, and then open a can of whoop ass on you. Not to mention the fact that she carries a .45. A broken hand would be the least of your worries in that scenario.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
EJSG19 wrote: Doctor might as well have worn a big sign on her forehead saying "I think you hit your significant other!"

Dumbest thing I ever heard. Anyone that knows her knows that if you took a swing at her, Lady D would feed you your fist, and then open a can of whoop ass on you. Not to mention the fact that she carries a .45. A broken hand would be the least of your worries in that scenario.

True enough, and thats partly why I love her.

But, the minute a doctor starts asking is the minute I stop talking. If they knew me they'd know their suspicions were false, but its like telling a cop about how to properly cuff and transport you, from the back seat of his squad car. Not a good time to educate the person who currently has the power in the situation.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Next

Return to General Gun Chat