Need a good argument for use with an anti....

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Need a good argument for use with an anti....

Postby princewally on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 am

Nemo wrote:
Stradawhovious wrote:I refuse to fuel an already irrational fear just to get what I want.

Any fear is irrational, by definition.

It's perfectly rational to afraid of some things.
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby goalie on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:59 am

Bessy wrote:Strad you seem like a nice guy... but seriously I can't believe this thread has gone on as long as it has. You and your parents are adults, you should be able to have an adult conversations about this. Don't let it go, insist that they address the issue, don't let them sweep it under the rug. You aren't a 15 year old boy. Honestly the type of nonsense you are describing stopped between me and my parents when I was about 12.

I will point out again that the thread discusses property that belongs to the parents. I personally don't like people telling me what to do with my property, and I am sure that they don't either.

If I had some Million Mom March memorabilia that I was allowing to rust and decay into a pile of crap in the attic, and one of my kids kept pestering me to save/preserve it, I wouldn't take too kindly to it.

If rational discussion doesn't work, then worry about stuff that is yours.....
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Update. I have convinced them to allow me to properly maintain and store said equipment on their property until the time they transfer it to me. I am thrilled with this. Issue resolved.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby plblark on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:32 pm

congratulations. Good for you!
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Shipyard on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm

awesome.

my grandfather had a lever action 22 that i carried for untold miles and hours as a kid hunting on their farm. it's the rifle i learded how to shoot with when i was 6 and means more to me than any amount of money ever could. a few years ago he agreed to give it to me. it caused a huge riff in the family and to this day i have an uncle that won't speak to me... oh well.

never let hose heirlooms go - whatever it takes. it's impossible to replace something of that value to you. i'm happy yo hear that you're a step closer to preserving a heritage.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Update. I have convinced them to allow me to properly maintain and store said equipment on their property until the time they transfer it to me. I am thrilled with this. Issue resolved.

Nice work. Your grandfather would be a happy camper knowing his things are well cared for. Glad to hear it.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby DeanC on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Next step: get them to put in writing that they pass to you upon your parents' demise. Then you can drive them across state lines with no worries.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:04 pm

DeanC wrote:Next step: get them to put in writing that they pass to you upon your parents' demise. Then you can drive them across state lines with no worries.

Already done. They have added them to the list right under the season tickets to Lambeau. I hope to never see that day.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby goalie on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Shipyard wrote: a few years ago he agreed to give it to me. it caused a huge riff in the family and to this day i have an uncle that won't speak to me... oh well.

One more time, it was HIS property to dispose of as he saw fit. He GAVE it to you. Your uncle is an ass if he let the willful distribution of property owned by another person ruin a relationship.

If you talked, I would tell you to tell him I said that.

:mrgreen:
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby goldtopper on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:40 am

You many not get a clincher on this. It's all about your Mom controlling you, not the guns. They are a convenient straw man.
Try and draw a parallell for her- use an anology she can understand. Find something close to her heart (not a lung) and use it. Does she collect figurines, plates, dolls, pottery? Then use that object in place of those evil old guns as a basis for safely being kept. Then buy an addition to her collection. Give it to her. If she still doesn't cave, take whatever you bought her and let it deteriorate in front of her through poor care. At that point, she's hopeless and you aren't going to win, but sometimes getting even tastes wonderful
I've been to the Zoo, see. From where I was standing the Lion ain't the King of The Jungle. It is definetly the Zebra.
goldtopper

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat