Re Chambering a Round

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Re Chambering a Round

Postby Rags on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:22 pm

Note also that the case rim is getting chewed up.
Could this result in a malfunction? I truly don't know.

But I still recommend snap-caps.
-- Dave Matheny

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell
Rags

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Rags wrote:Note also that the case rim is getting chewed up.
Could this result in a malfunction? I truly don't know.
I don't think so, but I'll let you know when I shoot it.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Rem700 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:49 pm

I must be confused your getting steel cased Golden Sabers never heard of them. :?

Pat wrote:Funny... My 1911 chews up the ammo pretty badly, and also sets the bullet back into the case a noticeable distance. Maybe it's the Golden Sabers I'm using?

Since the local ranges won't allow steel cased ammo, I usually end up just throwing it away after awhile.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Pat on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:04 am

Rem700 wrote:I must be confused your getting steel cased Golden Sabers never heard of them. :?

Pat wrote:Funny... My 1911 chews up the ammo pretty badly, and also sets the bullet back into the case a noticeable distance. Maybe it's the Golden Sabers I'm using?

Since the local ranges won't allow steel cased ammo, I usually end up just throwing it away after awhile.

Sticky to a magnet...

"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Andrew Rothman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:26 am

The actual concern is rechambering the first round of carry ammo over and over.

Rags wrote:Since at least one of your concerns is re-chambering the same round over and over, consider snap-caps. These are dummy rounds, usually in translucent red plastic, that are made to absorb both the repeated strike of the firing pin and the catching of the extractor claw.
Andrew Rothman

Postby EAJuggalo on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:18 pm

After it's been chambered two or three times I usually take it out and put it back in the box it came in, when I have a mag full thats the second full mag that gets shot the next time I'm at the range, the first being the carry ammo in the gun already.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Rags on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:56 am

Andrew Rothman wrote:The actual concern is rechambering the first round of carry ammo over and over.

Rags wrote:Since at least one of your concerns is re-chambering the same round over and over, consider snap-caps. These are dummy rounds, usually in translucent red plastic, that are made to absorb both the repeated strike of the firing pin and the catching of the extractor claw.

So. . . rechambering the first round over and over is different from rechambering the same round over and over. Got it.
-- Dave Matheny

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell
Rags

Postby gunflint on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:13 pm

I think that there's some wire crossed somewhere. I wanted to know the limits on re-chambering the first round of my SD ammo. I want to be able to toss in a mag of snap caps occasionally and dry fire, then reload the SD ammo when I'm done.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby Rags on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:11 pm

gunflint wrote:I have changed my carry gun from my trusty revolver to my 24/7 Pro 40. I could use some advice on re chambering rounds. I like to do a lot of dry firing particularly now that range time will be reduced to around zero until spring. Anyway, is it dumb to re chamber a round a couple of times? I've read that it is and it isn't. I was planning on rotating the rounds in the magazine so I didn't end up re chambering the same round many times. Any thoughts?

Since there seems to be a misunderstanding, here's what I am saying. Based on ". . .I like to do a lot of dry firing particularly now that range time will be reduced. . . " I recommended, and still recommend, snap-caps for repeated rechambering and dry-firing.

I did not address the question of how a lot of rechambering might affect one particular round.

Here goes: Looking at the 24/7, with its external extractor claw. I would guess that any one round could be chambered over and over without damage by opening the slide, dropping the round into the chamber, and then easing the slide almost into battery. Then depress the back end of the extractor claw with a thumbnail to slip it over the cartridge's rim and allow the slide into full battery. That should prevent any damage, to either the round or the gun.
-- Dave Matheny

Rags

Postby GregM on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:14 am

Question: Why is range time being reduced to around zero until spring?
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby gunflint on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:29 am

Snow. The pit that I shoot in isn't plowed and I don't want to be digging through the snow for brass. I don't know where the closest indoor range is but it can't be any closer that 120 miles and more likely 200.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:28 am

I take all of my carry ammo and run it through my LEE Carbide FCD and set it to a heavy taper crimp - this sets the case mouth into the bullet jacket slightly and creates a shoulder so that there is a mechanical lock on the bullet and the case - basically it cannot set back - however

this does not precent the rim from being damaged. Cycle your carry ammo regularly.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby farmerj on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:36 am

I reload all my stuff now. Don't buy a factory load if i don't have to. I have found that I have around 13000 pieces of brass. To me picking up the brass now is an environmental thing.

I too use the Lee Crimp die. Enough that my bullets won't seat themselves. I already use a heavy charge of Clays, so the crimp can be a telling difference in the recoil.

In the end, I have found it necessary to check and ensure my primers still function. Often times, I will do a 100% inspection on a reload batch. As the confidence is so high, I find it necessary to repeatedly do this a couple times a month. Lots are in either 500 or 1000 round batches. Most of the time in 1000 round batches due to I don't like having any empty primer packages open.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Glaser Blue 10mm ammo WILL set back if it is chambered too many times (like 5) times in an EAA Witness with the Wolff 22# recoil spring in it. 50GI ammo requires a .005" taper crimp anyway, so it's pretty solid. The other thing you would want to worry about is the bullet coming OUT of the case on airweight 357's, and again a good solid crimp is prudent.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Glaser Blue 10mm ammo WILL set back if it is chambered too many times (like 5) times in an EAA Witness with the Wolff 22# recoil spring in it. 50GI ammo requires a .005" taper crimp anyway, so it's pretty solid. The other thing you would want to worry about is the bullet coming OUT of the case on airweight 357's, and again a good solid crimp is prudent.

I have never seen an airweight pull a bullet but I have heard of it.

Sam would be what we would call an expert on using a good heavy crimp for a lot of reasons.

Using a good heavy crimp is a good thing and with the LEE FCD I just dont know if you can overcrimp.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat