Another exhibit from Seismic Sam's Little Shop of Horrors

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Another exhibit from Seismic Sam's Little Shop of Horrors

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:49 pm

This case was found on the short pistol range at Oakdale, which is open to MEMBERS ONLY:

Just your average, plain old 9mm case. From the look of the primer, the pressure wasn't even very high...

UH-OH!!

OMG!!!

You wouldn't expect the extractor on a 40 S&W to be able to hang onto a 9mm case, but apparently it can!! In addition, I checked the case mouth diameter of this case against a .40, and it's smaller, so the chamber was NOT sealed when the 30.000+ PSI 9mm load was fired, so a lot of hot gas probably came blasting out the back of the gun and woke up the half asleep OGC member....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Re: Another exhibit from Seismic Sam's Little Shop of Horrors

Postby westhope on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm

I've seen several of these 9 mm's fired in a 40 SW gun over the years as an IPSC / IDPA Range Officer. They usually won't cycle the gun for the next round.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Shipyard on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm

i'm ashamed to admit it, but i've had this happen to me. 9mm in the 40 cal magazine. a lesson to keep the ammo separate when two people are shooting different pistols.

gun didn't cycle, felt like a squib, nice sideways hole center mass on the target. at least i was still accurate :?
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby 1911fan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I saw this same thing happen. No back blast of gasses as barrel must be the path of least resistance with the .045 undersized bullet never sealing up
1911fan

Postby bstrawse on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 pm

oh uh - lol

Which range did you find that at OGC?

My father and I were on the 7-10 yd pistol range at OGC Monday morning with a 9mm beretta and a .40 HK - we were real careful to keep them far far apart :)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Bessy on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 pm

I've got a collection of cases just like this only way more mushroomed, found a pile of them at the range one day. Great demo pieces for classes.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby tullibee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Shipyard wrote:i'm ashamed to admit it, but i've had this happen to me. 9mm in the 40 cal magazine. a lesson to keep the ammo separate when two people are shooting different pistols.

gun didn't cycle, felt like a squib, nice sideways hole center mass on the target. at least i was still accurate :?

I'll join you in the ashamed line... My first purchase of a brand new pistol was a Beretta combo - it has one grip and two barrel/slide combos - one in 9mm and one in .40. during a range trip sometime probably in the first year of ownership, I managed to grab a 9 mag when I had the .40 barrel on. my sideways hole wasn't quite dead center - more like the 6 or 7 ring! It was kind of amazing, because I knew right away there was something "wrong" with that first shot so I only fired once - but the brain still took another second or two to put the goofy hole, the strange report and the odd recoil together for the "ah-ha" moment to kick in. (telling this reminds me that I STILL haven't gotten around to marking a couple of the aftermarket mags that I picked up to make them more obvious of caliber... but I have sure been noticeably more diligent in keeping track of what parts I'm using together ever since!!!)
tullibee

Postby hammAR on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:30 pm

At hunter's sight-in a couple of years ago, one shooter, who was unwilling to ask for or to accept help, managed to chamber and fire 20 rounds of 243 ammunition in a 308-chambered rifle. He never did hit the 100-yard target. Hearing the odd report, I observed what he was doing and noted the unusually mild recoil. I then verified the markings on both ammo box and rifle.

Since this "real man" had already declined any of our expert help and had done so in a less than generous manner, "I know what I'm doing, just leave me alone," and since firing 243s in a 308 is extremely unlikely to cause any harm, I felt no shame in allowing him to burn up his entire box of factory fodder. Afterwards, he sat there scratching his head and muttering, "I just don't understand it…." I then gently mentioned, "I suspect the only thing wrong is the ammunition you used." He then barked, "What do you mean!"

I said, "Well, it has been my experience that two-forty-three loads seldom shoot well from a 308-chambered Rifle." His face went pale, then crimson. He then hurriedly loaded his gear and departed.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby mc762x54R on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:58 am

Wow that's pretty crazy...I'll be sure not to load any .380s into my 9mm

I've had some 7.62x54r cases split towards the front, but there is no gas blow back when they split up there. I just noticed a split case when I was picking up my steel casings..
mc762x54R

Postby hicap45z on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:30 am

A few years back, during deer sight-in season, I found a few odd rifle cartridge casings at Bill's South.
The headstamp said .308, but the cases were straightwall, other than what looked like a heavy roll crimp.
After a little head scratching, someone thought to compare them to a 30-06.
They matched up. The "roll crimp" was right where the taper starts on the 30-06.
Yep, someone was shooting .308s in their 30-06 rifle.

Z
hicap45z

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:21 am

hicap45z wrote:A few years back, during deer sight-in season, I found a few odd rifle cartridge casings at Bill's South.
The headstamp said .308, but the cases were straightwall, other than what looked like a heavy roll crimp.
After a little head scratching, someone thought to compare them to a 30-06.
They matched up. The "roll crimp" was right where the taper starts on the 30-06.
Yep, someone was shooting .308s in their 30-06 rifle.

Z

:o
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby DeanC on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:05 pm

hammAR wrote:
I said, "Well, it has been my experience that two-forty-three loads seldom shoot well from a 308-chambered Rifle."

Someone tried that exact same trick last year at deer camp.

It was an understandable mistake (but still dumb). He owns 2 BLR's, one for his son (308) and one for him (243). His son wasn't with him during the week and he grabbed a rifle from the truck and a full magazine out of his hunting vest and went hunting.

It took almost a full magazine at a paper target at 25 yards before he figured out why he couldn't hit a deer at 50 yards.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 1911fan on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Manu year ago a guy brought in a 270 with the bolt seized. After much work we got the action open. Almost no primer pocket left, no discernible head stamp either, and the case short just like the above post. His box of ammo had four missing rounds. Which were all still in the blind magazine. He always claimed it couldn't have happened, but we think he shot a 308 in a 270.

I wonder what the chamber pressure was for a split second while that bullet was being swayed down from ,308" to .277"?

We sent the gun back to Remington and asked them to decide if the gun was safe. They tested it and declared it just fine
1911fan

Postby gman1868 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Holy Carp!

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Return to General Gun Chat