Traveling with my handgun ... update!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Traveling with my handgun

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:21 am

Yep, that's it Rob, thanks.
Jackpine Savage

Postby RobD on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:Yep, that's it Rob, thanks.

No worries, framed websites suck.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Don L on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:22 pm

Isn't the cable a bit small?
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

Postby RobD on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Don L wrote:Isn't the cable a bit small?

I think you could do a bigger cable if you wanted, reading the site, they acknowledge it's not perfect, they just want to deter the "smash and grab" path of least resistance criminals...

IMHO, you could travel with a safe if you wanted, if someone really wants what you got, they will get it.

ETA: Sarcasm noted... :lol:
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby fotog54 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:09 pm

After looking at how flimsy my handgun cases were, I ordered a Pelican 1200. The ones I had you could lock them and pry them open far enough with your bare hands to get the gun out. I know you won't be able to do that with the Pelican case. Used to use those for storing my camera stuff.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Striker fired pistols need an external safety like a Subaru needs a spoiler!
fotog54

Re: Traveling with my handgun ... update!

Postby fotog54 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Just got back and traveling with the handgun went without a hitch. I do notice that the ticket counter agents don't really seem to be interested in you actually taking the gun out of the case and showing it is unloaded, so unless they specifically ask you to do that just take the orange card (declaring the firearm is unloaded) they give you, sign it, put in the case and lock it up while they are viewing.

I think they would have freaked if I pulled it out of the case and worked the slide back to show it was empty! So be discreet!
Striker fired pistols need an external safety like a Subaru needs a spoiler!
fotog54

Postby 1911fan on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:09 pm

I am glad it went well for you, I have found that since the rules have passed and carry laws have become fairly widespread, its just not an issue anymore at the places I have traveled to adn from. I have not had to handle my luggage at midway, ohare or JFK, but I think those would be more difficult. but that is purely speculation.
1911fan

Postby tman on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:59 am

1911fan wrote:I am glad it went well for you, I have found that since the rules have passed and carry laws have become fairly widespread, its just not an issue anymore at the places I have traveled to adn from. I have not had to handle my luggage at midway, ohare or JFK, but I think those would be more difficult. but that is purely speculation.

Flying out of Reagan in DC was a snoozer.

Long Beach CA was easy as well.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby photogpat on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:58 am

In my experience -- some have asked to visually verify that it is unloaded...but they weren't really sure what they were looking for...I always handle my firearm discreetly down in the scale area at the counter when visually verifying with one of these agents. YMMV.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby tman on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:27 am

photogpat wrote:In my experience -- some have asked to visually verify that it is unloaded...but they weren't really sure what they were looking for...I always handle my firearm discreetly down in the scale area at the counter when visually verifying with one of these agents. YMMV.

The last couple of times I flew, I took the slide off the frame. No questions at all.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby photogpat on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:34 pm

So here's a new one. I was flying Delta and checked my bag like I normally do, declared unloaded, etc etc etc. The gate agent insisted on putting a "CAGPT" sticker on my bag (which had my locked hard case inside). When I asked her, she said it was "So they'll know in back that there's a gun inside!"
Now, I fly twice a month with my xD and this is the first time they've INSISTED on marking the outside of my luggage. CAGPT stands for "Check And Give Protection To", and it's how they identify high value items.
I complained to a Supervisor that this was identifying a firearm, which is prohibited by the TSA...no dice. They claimed it was a handling tag.
The TSA Supervisor I spoke with, belatedly, is going to check on it with Delta. He agreed with me that it was prohibited marking.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:03 pm

When I fly with a gun in my luggage, I use a cable lock and make sure the cable is going in the slide and coming out through the BARREL. That kind of makes it a no brainer for the airline people. And for the poor guy who got the "steal me because I'm valuable" sticker on his suitcase, the smart thing would have been to demand about 4 times the value of the gun as an insurance value on the bag. Yeah, it costs you more, but you just bought a lottery ticket for a much better gun.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby chudrockz on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:22 am

I haven't flown anywhere in about eleven years, and until they abolish the monstrosity called the TSA and stop urinating on the fourth amendment, I won't.
chudrockz

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat