Gun show prices?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun show prices?

Postby Flip on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Is it just me or does it seem some of the vendors had some high prices on their firearms. I did find some good deals but the deal I questioned most was a Taurus 85 for over $400.

Your $0.02
Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Re: Gun show prices?

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Flip wrote:Is it just me or does it seem some of the vendors had some high prices on their firearms. I did find some good deals but the deal I questioned most was a Taurus 85 for over $400. Your $0.02 Flip

I have a theory that a lot of the guys at gunshows don't want to sell guns, they just want to display them for people to look at... that's why they call it a gunSHOW instead of a gunsale. :)
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Gun show dealers, especially in the last ten or fifteen years, fully expect that they will have to haggle the price down as much as 25% - so they build that wiggle room margin into their "starting" prices. There are a few dealers who still put the real price on the tags, but not many.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby VikesFan1 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 pm

...others are probably guilty of being stuck in the Bammy craze.
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby onebohemian on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:21 pm

Many of those high priced dealers claim to be in support of our gun rights, but at the same time, they are happy to screw the newbies by gouging them on the price of the buyer's very first gun. Capitalism is great, but it never ceases to amaze me how we can eat our own when it helps line our pockets. Any dealer willing to do that ought to be boycotted. Look at their guns for entertainment, but never patronize them. If they ask why you won't buy, tell them the reason. They will react like you are the bad guy but ignore it. And more importantly, when you see them taking advantage of a newbie, interrupt or pull the newbie aside as he walks away and enlighten him or her on where to get the gun they want and need without getting screwed on it. And hope capitalism some day takes down the dealers screwing people via the market making the corrections for us.

My 2 cents.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Gunshow 101:

Lesson 1: Sellers think they can sell their guns at premium prices and so they go to the show.

Lesson 2: Buyers think they can buy guns at under market and so they go to the show.

If you want more you will need to sign up for the advanced class. Thank me later.
Holland&Holland

Postby thunderoussilence on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm

I saw that also this weekend. I had interest in a S&W 686 saw one used for $800, I asked if the price was correct? The gun looked like it had been dragged behind a car. The guy said yes it is. I asked him if he expected to sell it he said yeah, I said good luck and walked away. If I had really wanted it I would have started negotiating but if he was only expecting his asking price I would've walked away. Ask whatever you want but be open to negotiating.
thunderoussilence

Postby mitchx3 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:00 pm

thunderoussilence wrote:Ask whatever you want but be open tonegotiating being called **** retarded.
mitchx3

Postby bucktail on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Gun shows are good places to buy reloading supplies and tools, used scopes, knives, books, etc., but most of the guns at the ones that I've been at are overpriced. There are exceptions at every show, but it usually isn't something that I'm in the market for. I bought a scope, a sling, and an AR-15 magazine at the one in Hutch. The main reason to buy guns at the gun show is if you're looking for something somewhat rare and are willing to pay a bit of a premium on it, or if one of the 2-3 guns that are good deals are something that you're looking for.
bucktail

Postby MisterOblivious on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Same deal on Gunbroker.... The barrier is so low (no relist fee/low table cost) that trying to sell the same overpriced firearm for years is worth the payoff (some sucker buys it).

There are rifles on Gunbroker that have been relisted for years now. :roll:

Sorry honey I know you said I have to sell some of these but nobody is buying.

I picked up a 1911 the last time I went to a show. Even with the higher price and taxes it was the same price as having one shipped. YMMV
MisterOblivious

Postby tacticalninja32 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:38 pm

well some of the price on here mngt, or other local forum is also pretty ridiculous, greed will kill this game,
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby Pezhead on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:43 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Gunshow 101:

Lesson 1: Sellers think they can sell their guns at premium prices and so they go to the show.

Lesson 2: Buyers think they can buy guns at under market and so they go to the show.

If you want more you will need to sign up for the advanced class. Thank me later.

I agree it's that way with a lot of stuff.
Pezhead

Postby 870TC on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:41 am

Alot of wisdom in what H&H said.
Plus with those high prices the dealer can give you a higher trade in value for your P.O.S. gun.
Example: on that $800 S&W 686," why yes sir we can allow $400 on trade for your plain barrel Mossberg 500" (never mind the fact you can buy a new Mossberg with chokes and V.R. at Fleet farm for $249.00)
870TC

Postby dleong on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 am

Gunshows are an opportunity for me to physically examine a gun I might be interested in; if I decide to buy one, I'll order it online for a lot less money (even after factoring in shipping and the transfer fee).
dleong

Postby tacticalninja32 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 am

dleong wrote:Gunshows are an opportunity for me to physically examine a gun I might be interested in; if I decide to buy one, I'll order it online for a lot less money (even after factoring in shipping and the transfer fee).

and then you ship it to one of the outrageous priced dealer at show, :D :D :D and have them as an FFL
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Next

Return to General Gun Chat