Shooting on public land in MN

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Shooting on public land in MN

Postby autobahn on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Anyone familiar with this?

The MN DNR has a lot of stuff talking about hunting being legal on most public lands in season, but nothing about target shooting and such in general.

Just wondering if people have experience in this area and/or know some places near the metro area that would qualify.
autobahn

Re: Shooting on public land in MN

Postby RobD on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Firearms

Firearms may be discharged in compliance with the law on forest lands not posted closed to firearms discharge.
Shooting ranges, where designated, have special rules. Observe postings on site.
Firearms must be unloaded and cased bows must be unstrung and cased while in or within 200 feet of a forest recreation area (campground, day-use area, parking area, etc.). Exception: During seasons open for hunting, a person may carry an unloaded, uncased firearm or strung bow from a forest recreation area to hunt outside of the area. More about hunting in state forests
Last edited by RobD on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby autobahn on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:39 pm

RobD wrote:You cannot do any target shooting on State land. Only Hunting.

Thanks for the info!
autobahn

Postby lenny7 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 am

My understanding is that you can target shoot on state forest land, as long as it's not in any improved area. I'd have to hunt down something reliable that said as much though. It has been discussed here before so a search might uncover something.
lenny7

Postby Dick Unger on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:23 am

There is unimproved state land all over. The problem is you have to know where it is; as far as I know there is no central list of state lands. If you want to use some land you would have to check that specific land, the county tax records is where you might start. But you start with the land, not the paperwork.

For example, there is a lot of state land along the Minnesota River, usually in small parcels that were tax forfeited yars ago. You can shoot there because there is no law against it. (At least, that's what I've done all my life.) This kind of land is owned by the state but "administered" by the county. The "county" usually will not even know that, unless the county attorney looks into the status of a particular parcel of land.

If you can find and access this land, you can shoot, hunt, camp, etc. Don't make a mess; if you do the county will investigate and put up a no trespass sign. There are laws pertaining to vehicles off trails or in wetlands generally, be careful.

Because the land is hard to find it's still wild and free.
Dick Unger

Postby Rusty Tinner on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:26 am

Per an email response from Jim Abernathy of the DNR the only State Forest land you CANNOT target shoot in is Sand Dunes. :D
Rusty Tinner

Postby RobD on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:29 am

lenny7 wrote:My understanding is that you can target shoot on state forest land, as long as it's not in any improved area. I'd have to hunt down something reliable that said as much though. It has been discussed here before so a search might uncover something.

State Forest Rec Guide
MN DNR wrote:Firearms may be discharged in compliance with the law on forest lands not posted closed to
firearms discharge. Please clean up your spent rounds before you leave.

The only law I can find about any target shooting on state land:
MN Statutes 97A.091 wrote:Subd. 3. Trap or target shooting.
The commissioner may issue special permits, without fee, to the owner or lessee of privately owned land within the boundaries of a state game refuge for trap or target shooting.

Then I found 97B.041
97B.041 wrote:POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION RESTRICTED IN DEER ZONES.

A person may not possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during the period beginning the fifth day before the open firearms season and ending the second day after the close of the season within an area where deer may be taken by a firearm, except:...
(6) on a target range operated under a permit from the commissioner.

So it would seem that there COULD be public target ranges set up... But I can't find any.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shooting_ran ... anges.html
RobD

Postby photogpat on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 am

We target shoot in an abandoned gravel pit on State Forest land in Crow Wing County. I've spoken with the local CO in the past and asked her about legally doing so - she said the same thing...its State Forest land -- or possibly tax-forfeit - either way, she wasn't concerned. She did admonish us all to pick up spent brass and targets when shooting on public land.

This is the same place where I hauled out couches and old TV's that someone had been using for target practice
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby PhilaBOR on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:17 am

I can't find it on the DNR website this morning, but IIRC, they discourage prolific shooting (target shooting) on WMA's. Hunting is ok, subject to any specific limitations for that WMA, but not target shooting.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby RobD on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 am

In August of 09 they were looking for input, and listed the following as items to add:
Add language consistent with Subp 6 to permit target shooting with firearms in SRAs
when consistent with the unit management plan and commissioner’s order.
Add language to allow recreational target shooting on forest lands

Not sure what ever happened to it...
RobD

Postby lenny7 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 am

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=6100.0800
6100.0800 PUBLIC SAFETY; HUNTING; FIREARMS; WEAPONS.
Subpart 1.Restrictions.
A.While in a state park, or while in or within 200 feet of a forest recreation area, except as provided in subpart 2 or by special permit from the commissioner, it is unlawful for a person to:
(1)possess explosives or fireworks of any kind;
(2)possess a firearm, unless the firearm is unloaded and completely contained in a gun case expressly made for that purpose, which is fully enclosed by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, or unless unloaded and contained in the trunk of a car with the trunk door closed;
(3)possess a bow and arrows, unless either unstrung or completely contained in a case or contained in the trunk of a car with the trunk door closed;
(4)use or display any other type of weapon including slingshots, switchblade knives, traps, and spears; and
(5)hunt, trap, or take wild animals in any manner except as authorized by the commissioner.
B.It is unlawful while hunting to pursue wildlife into a state park or to chase wildlife out of a state park without permission of a park officer.

Subp. 2.Exceptions.
A.When hunting, trapping, or taking wild animals is authorized in a state park, the restrictions in subpart 1 on firearms, bows and arrows, and traps are waived to the extent necessary to allow the authorized activity.
B.During the open seasons for hunting, a person may carry an unloaded, uncased firearm or bow and arrows from a forest recreation area to engage in hunting outside of the forest recreation area.

Subp. 3.[Repealed, 24 SR 208]
Subp. 4.[Repealed, 24 SR 208]

Subp. 5.Hunting and shooting; forest lands. Forest lands are open to hunting and to target, trap, and recreational shooting except where prohibited by law, posted or designated closed for management or public safety purposes, or otherwise restricted by this part.

Subp. 6.Shooting ranges; forest lands. Items A to G govern the use of designated shooting ranges on forest lands.
A.Shooting range hours are from sunrise to sunset, except that no shooting is allowed before 8:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m.
B.Shooting ranges are closed during the firearms deer season.
C.Alcoholic beverages and glass containers are prohibited on a shooting range.
D.Firearms must be unloaded and cased unless on the firing line.
E.Use of a firing point is limited to one hour when others are waiting.
F.Shooting is permitted only from the designated firing points on ranges where they are provided.
G.Targets permitted are:
(1)rifle or pistol - paper targets or steel silhouettes only. Paper targets must be attached to target holders where provided; and
(2)shotgun - clay targets only.

Statutory Authority:MS s 14.045; 84.03; 85.052; 85.053; 85.20; 86A.05; 86A.06; 89.031; 89.19 to 89.21; 89.71
History:14 SR 2497; 24 SR 208
Posted:June 11, 2008
lenny7

Postby rugersol on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:24 pm

autobahn wrote:know some places near the metro area that would qualify.

I don't know of any state land closer than almost 100mi, that ya could shoot ... and not worry about any trouble.

Depending on what kinda gas-mileage ya get, and what yer time's worth, maybe just join a gun-club? IIRC, both Oakdale and Bald Eagle are under $100/yr. I save that on gas in 3 outings.

They usually have an "initiation fee" of nearly $100 ... but that's a one-time deal.

They may or may not have a waiting list. Don't ever take anyone's word that they have one, or you can't get on it ... just apply! ... every year! ... it helps if ya know a member ... IIRC, Bald Eagle requires a member to "sponser" ya.

Oh, and make sure to scrape off the Osama and Franken bumper stickers 'fore ya drive to the club. Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Boone on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Nothing wrong with supporting ranges, but we should be looking for these public places to shoot. I recently traveled to Yuma, AZ to find they have a free open to the public range. By range I mean a huge range, multipul distances and multipul ranges. If the area is safe and legal we should be informing others.
"Once a Marine, always a Marine...

...why re-enlist?"
Boone

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:03 pm

Side note that there are a LOT of WMA spots near the TC BUT all are posted as hunting only, no shooting otherwise like target, trap etc.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby autobahn on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 pm

ahrens wrote:
Depending on what kinda gas-mileage ya get, and what yer time's worth, maybe just join a gun-club?

Well I've been thinking about that, but it's nice to be able to shoot in a more... relaxed environment and be able to use steel, cans, water jugs, etc...

None of the local ranges nor really any range that I've been able to find allows anything but paper. Paper's fun but sometimes you just want to make a jug of water explode.

So from what I gather, state forests are OK just not areas designated as WMAs, as those are for hunting only?
autobahn

Next

Return to General Gun Chat