Fox 9 piece on guns in school

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Fox 9 piece on guns in school

Postby hunter722 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Did anyone see the piece on Channel 9 tonight about the shooting in the school in Wis? There was a 'discussion' between Heather Martens and John Caile about whether teachers should carry guns in school in order to provide a quicker response to these sorts of things. Just about the dumbest premise I've heard of in a long time. How in the hell would you find a member of the MEA who would be willing to carry a gun? Heck, they're afraid to holler at a kid these days.
hunter722

Re: Fox 9 piece on guns in school

Postby chunkstyle on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm

"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby westberg on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:56 pm

I think Heather confused herself with her analogy, Jeff didn't understand it.
westberg

Postby westhope on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am

Excellent job John. As you always have done, you represent us very well in the media.

Thanks.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Heffay on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:31 am

Good piece, and the pro-gun side was well presented. And now you know why I hate analogies as a means of explaining or defending a point. ;)

Ok, say this cliff was only 10 feet tall, and on the edge of a lake....

Well, what if the lake was a gravel pit with no exit?

What if it was winter and the water was frozen?

:ugeek:

I can't understand why some people just don't understand what "comprehensive" really means. Any single method used to prevent gun violence in schools is going to fail. You have to use many different overlapping tactics at all levels. Both reactive and proactive.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby hammAR on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:42 am

Heffay wrote:I can't understand why some people just don't understand what "comprehensive" really means. Any single method used to prevent gun violence in schools is going to fail. You have to use many different overlapping tactics at all levels. Both reactive and proactive.

That is exactly why I support the TSA taking over school security.......
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby phorvick on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 am

hunter722 wrote:Did anyone see the piece on Channel 9 tonight about the shooting in the school in Wis? There was a 'discussion' between Heather Martens and John Caile about whether teachers should carry guns in school in order to provide a quicker response to these sorts of things. Just about the dumbest premise I've heard of in a long time. How in the hell would you find a member of the MEA who would be willing to carry a gun? Heck, they're afraid to holler at a kid these days.

I know a number of principals that either carry themselves or have given permission for some staff to carry. Even the Pres. of EdMN was on TV a few years ago saying that they had no objection, so long as the teachers were properly trained. (And, let's not try to parse that....I had e-mail with her and she said all she meant was having a PTC.) It is not many in the big scene, but it is already done in some schools.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby Tommy Gun on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm

A good discussion. Both sides had a chance to speak and didn't try to talk over the other. I congratulate Jeff, John & Heather for a participating in a useful dialog instead of a shouting match.

Though flawed, I didn't think her analogy was the problem as much as her faulty assumptions. For example:

Any loaded firearm is "a safety hazard." -- And so is a #2 pencil, an electric mixer and a circular saw. But "safety hazard" isn't what is being discussed. In the context of the discussion, a loaded firearm in the possession of a properly trained adult does not put students in greater danger. A loaded firearm in the hands of someone who intends to do harm to others puts students in greater danger.

Teachers carrying firearms would need to be trained "like a SWAT Team member". -- If I may borrow a line from Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with that!" Needless to say, this is an exaggeration which doesn't help her argument. The average security guard or police officer doesn't have SWAT training.

A comprehensive approach is the best way to prevent loss of innocent life in shootings like this. That's because no single approach is ideal. For example, screening for mental illness may work to prevent some shootings, but not all. From what I have heard so far, this kid in Wisconsin was a model student, Boy Scout and nobody would have guessed that he might do anything like bring a gun to school, threaten his fellow students and, eventually take his own life.

Well, that's my $.02, FWIW.
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:43 pm

phorvick wrote:I know a number of principals that either carry themselves or have given permission for some staff to carry. Even the Pres. of EdMN was on TV a few years ago saying that they had no objection, so long as the teachers were properly trained. (And, let's not try to parse that....I had e-mail with her and she said all she meant was having a PTC.) It is not many in the big scene, but it is already done in some schools.

Can a school administrator allow preemption of the school property carry prohibitions, or are school employees somehow exempt?
I infer from your comment we're talking about being at school somewhere in MN.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:56 pm

The school principal has the authority to authorize individual permit holders to carry on school property. I can't find where in the statutes this is discussed but I know of at least one member here who has such permission.

Can someone point me in the direction of the statute that lists the places a permit holder is not allowed to carry?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby ttousi on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:13 pm

schools 609.66 IIRC
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby ttousi on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm

yup

Subd. 1d.Possession on school property; penalty.

(a) Except as provided under paragraphs (d) and (f), whoever possesses, stores, or keeps a dangerous weapon while knowingly on school property is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

(b) Whoever uses or brandishes a replica firearm or a BB gun while knowingly on school property is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

(c) Whoever possesses, stores, or keeps a replica firearm or a BB gun while knowingly on school property is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(d) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), (b), or (c), it is a misdemeanor for a person authorized to carry a firearm under the provisions of a permit or otherwise to carry a firearm on or about the person's clothes or person in a location the person knows is school property. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

(e) As used in this subdivision:

(1) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter;

(2) "dangerous weapon" has the meaning given it in section 609.02, subdivision 6;

(3) "replica firearm" has the meaning given it in section 609.713; and

(4) "school property" means:

(i) a public or private elementary, middle, or secondary school building and its improved grounds, whether leased or owned by the school;

(ii) a child care center licensed under chapter 245A during the period children are present and participating in a child care program;

(iii) the area within a school bus when that bus is being used by a school to transport one or more elementary, middle, or secondary school students to and from school-related activities, including curricular, cocurricular, noncurricular, extracurricular, and supplementary activities; and

(iv) that portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school, a school district, or an association of such entities where conspicuous signs are prominently posted at each entrance that give actual notice to persons of the school-related use.

(f) This subdivision does not apply to:

(1) active licensed peace officers;

(2) military personnel or students participating in military training, who are on-duty, performing official duties;

(3) persons authorized to carry a pistol under section 624.714 while in a motor vehicle or outside of a motor vehicle to directly place a firearm in, or retrieve it from, the trunk or rear area of the vehicle;

(4) persons who keep or store in a motor vehicle pistols in accordance with section 624.714 or 624.715 or other firearms in accordance with section 97B.045;

(5) firearm safety or marksmanship courses or activities conducted on school property;

(6) possession of dangerous weapons, BB guns, or replica firearms by a ceremonial color guard;

(7) a gun or knife show held on school property;

(8) possession of dangerous weapons, BB guns, or replica firearms with written permission of the principal or other person having general control and supervision of the school or the director of a child care center; or

(9) persons who are on unimproved property owned or leased by a child care center, school, or school district unless the person knows that a student is currently present on the land for a school-related activity.

(g) Notwithstanding section 471.634, a school district or other entity composed exclusively of school districts may not regulate firearms, ammunition, or their respective components, when possessed or carried by nonstudents or nonemployees, in a manner that is inconsistent with this subdivision.

MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:39 pm

ttousi wrote:yup

Subd. 1d.Possession on school property; penalty.

(a) Except as provided under paragraphs (d) and (f), whoever possesses, stores, or keeps a dangerous weapon while knowingly on school property is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.
~~~~~~~~~~~~snipped for brevity~~~~~~~~~~~

(d)

(3) persons authorized to carry a pistol under section 624.714 while in a motor vehicle or outside of a motor vehicle to directly place a firearm in, or retrieve it from, the trunk or rear area of the vehicle;

(4) persons who keep or store in a motor vehicle pistols in accordance with section 624.714 or 624.715 or other firearms in accordance with section 97B.045;

(8) possession of dangerous weapons, BB guns, or replica firearms with written permission of the principal or other person having general control and supervision of the school or the director of a child care center; or

~~~~~~~~~~~~snipped for brevity~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to General Gun Chat