Stuff you've heard at the range...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Stuff you've heard at the range...

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 am

Squib Joe wrote:The biggest problem we have, if there is one, is the guy who goes to the lane next to his own and slips a broom between that person's feet to get his brass.. often while he is shooting. The brass might belong to him but that is totally unsafe.

What about getting your fingers stepped on? That's the issue I generally run into... :lol:
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby CZscout on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Bills GS North....

Ouch, ouch, ouch. for about 45 minutes every other time I pulled the trigger of my Kimber 10mm.....

The HOT brass was perfectly ejecting over the wall and catching in the poor fellow's polo color 8 times out of 10. Poor guy. (I did retrieve all my brass too.)

Bills GS North...

Repeated...HEY HEY HEY, DUDE, DONT DO THAT, STOP!!!! Every time a rook muzzle swept the entire firing ling as he brought his pistol back to the bench...un-cased. (He got kicked out) Idiot.

This was the first time I have seen the range master do anything about a muzzle sweep.
CZscout

Postby TH3180 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 pm

CZscout wrote:
Bills GS North...

Repeated...HEY HEY HEY, DUDE, DONT DO THAT, STOP!!!! Every time a rook muzzle swept the entire firing ling as he brought his pistol back to the bench...un-cased. (He got kicked out) Idiot.

This was the first time I have seen the range master do anything about a muzzle sweep.

I'm really not trying to stir up **** here or anything but this has to be asked. If this person was truely a new shooter or "a rook" as you put it. Don't you think it would be more of a benifit to the sport to teach him. Calling the guy an Idiot and kicking him out of the range has no benifit to the sport. Not everyone grew up around firearms. Some of us had to learn on are own. Even more some us are still learning. The actions that happened could have turned the guy off from the sport for ever. Then everyone complains that there aren't enough new shooters out there. Yes NO ONE should EVER sweep the range but not everyone knows everything from the get go. Yes if he was told and keeped doing it then yeah kick him out for sure.
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby timwarner on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:09 pm

I've had some serious issues at times at Bill's north, with muzzle sweeping, as well as one guy pointing his (thank god unloaded) G21 at his friend and dropping the striker.

Guy at the counter pretty much shrugged it off, and said they were idiots.
Pretty much haven't been back to shoot since then. In the winter, I'd rather deal with -6 outside than a -6 IQ and RM's who won't do anything.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby CZscout on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 pm

TH3180 wrote:
CZscout wrote:
Bills GS North...

I'm really not trying to stir up **** here or anything but this has to be asked. If this person was truely a new shooter or "a rook" as you put it. Don't you think it would be more of a benifit to the sport to teach him. Calling the guy an Idiot and kicking him out of the range has no benifit to the sport. Not everyone grew up around firearms. Some of us had to learn on are own. Even more some us are still learning. The actions that happened could have turned the guy off from the sport for ever. Then everyone complains that there aren't enough new shooters out there. Yes NO ONE should EVER sweep the range but not everyone knows everything from the get go. Yes if he was told and keeped doing it then yeah kick him out for sure.

I agree, however it was the range master that made the decision and did the shouting. (shouting because of the hearing protection)

As I understand it, he had been warned more that one in that shooting session. Good for the sport or not, get off the range if you can't be safe and follow the rules. I see no problem with that. (I agree)

When I was a noob with a pistol, I was almost scared at the range, so I was extra cautious and asked a ton of questions.

It was a relief to see that particular shooter leave the line, his partner stayed and finished up his shooting.

Good luck, be safe.
CZscout

Postby Rem700 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:01 pm

TH3180 wrote:
CZscout wrote:
Bills GS North...

Dont worry it didnt deter him he is now a mod here. :booyah:
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Rem700 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Not at the range but a GM.
Sales person recommending a .380 to someone because the ammunition is smaller then 9mm so therefore the ammo should be cheaper :doh:
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby Rem700 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Rem700 wrote:
TH3180 wrote:
CZscout wrote:
Bills GS North...

Dont worry it didnt deter him he is now a mod here. :booyah:

Kidding just kidding well atleast I hope so.
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby rugersol on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:23 pm

timwarner wrote:Pretty much haven't been back to shoot since then. In the winter, I'd rather deal with -6 outside than a -6 IQ and RM's who won't do anything.

I ain't been back since I was yelled at fer shooting too fast.

Me?! :oops:

"Rangemaster" ... Image ... ya think they're even aware there is such a thing? ... and that it takes more 'n mailin' a $20 check to git a badge, to be one?

At the very least, simply call 'em a "bouncer" ... right? Image

And this guy wasn't simply yellin' 'cause of hearing protection ... this guy was makin' like people's LIVES were on the line! :roll:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby EJSG19 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Speaking of the current place in question...

One of the last times I was there I was curious about a Sig and wanted to see one. So... asked to see the model of Sig I wanted.

Before keys came out, before anything else, I was told "You don't want a Sig, you want a Para Ordinance." Sales dude starts over to the Para case. I didn't move an inch and he looks at me like I must not have heard him. Had to listen to him tell me 3 times why I didn't want a Sig. Finally I let him know I appreciated his apparent expertise, but he really had no idea what I wanted other than what I told him. Took a peak at the Sig and went on my way. Not that I could afford to buy one there anyway.

Another time, this time down at the range, I showed up with my wife, and met a good friend of mine there to do some shooting. Set my ammo on the counter for the range guy's inspection.
Range guy, "are these reloads?"
Me, "yes."
Range guy picks up a handful of them and begins to scrutinize them as if looking close and squinting will tell him the OAL and powder charge then he says, "Are you sure these are reloads? They look just like factory ammo."
Me, " :roll: " "Yes, I can promise you these were made by me."
Range guy, "Well, if you say so, then what kind of powder are you using?" thinking he'd catch me or something and prove his knowledge of reloading.
Me, "Universal Clays."
Range guy, "Universal what? I've never heard of that before. I use 231." As if thats the only powder that could possibly work.

Finally "approved" me to go shoot, after an unsuccessful attempt at a reloading lesson... No complaints otherwise. Got the right-most lane and actually recovered 90% of my brass for once there. No brooms appearing between my feet, no brass monkeys taking a long term loan with my brass, etc.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby ex-LT on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 am

Rem700 wrote:Not at the range but a GM.
Sales person recommending a .380 to someone because the ammunition is smaller then 9mm so therefore the ammo should be cheaper :doh:

No one ever claimed that GM sales people were rocket scientists.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 am

Well, better Bill's North than Bill's South in scenic Robbinsdale, home of police road rage and gratuitous and phony comments by the Chief himself about the crime in Robbinsdale as well as the conduct of his own officers..

In addition, you will probably get swept by multiple people with Gluck Fo-tays, which pretty much eliminates the chance of trying to explain to the errant shooter what they are doing wrong without triggering a full scale shoot-out...

The last time I was at Bill's North I had "my widdle weevolver" so nobody could hock my brass, and there were three guys sharing the stall to my right who enjoyed "concussion surfing" off the blast of the Smith 500, but with my electromic Dillon muffs on I could hear slides snapping shut and mags getting jammed into mag wells behind me. It bothered me somewhat, but remembering the part of the MPPA where one cannot escalate the conflict in any way and come before the court with clean hands, I kept my mouth shut. Besides, they had 9mm's, and I had the most powerful revolver on the planet. I seriously considered sharing this fact with them to perhaps clue them into what might happen if a 9mm bullet hit my large and aging carcass, but like I said, I kept my mouth shut.

I actually have to take my house sitter up to B's N to get her used to my plastic fantastic 9mm, but we both have open mornings during the week, so we can go in when there are very few people there. In addition, the ammo will be the crap 9mm hulls that I didn't want to keep after scrounging at Oakdale, so I have NO interest in picking them up.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby photogpat on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 am

That guy in the polo shirt may have been me -- my last trip to Bill's North - the guy in the other lane was shooting .45 though -- but it was ejecting perfectly over the partition, and right down into my shirt. The first time I couldn't figure out what the hell that burning sensation was by my navel...

I asked the RM to move lanes after the 5th time.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby TH3180 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 pm

photogpat wrote:That guy in the polo shirt may have been me -- my last trip to Bill's North - the guy in the other lane was shooting .45 though -- but it was ejecting perfectly over the partition, and right down into my shirt. The first time I couldn't figure out what the hell that burning sensation was by my navel...

I asked the RM to move lanes after the 5th time.

I hate it when I have to wonder where that burning sensation came from. 8-)
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby ijosef on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Here's a Duck Hill story...

I was looking around in the firearms department one evening when I had the misfortune to hear the lone salesman (a younger, geeky-looking guy) trying to impress a female customer. He had a Mosin Nagant 91/30 in his hand, and proceeded to tell the most inaccurate version of the Vasily Zaytsev story I've ever heard. He said that using a rifle "exactly like this" (the Mosin he was holding), Zaytsev killed over 20,000 Nazis, most of them officers. Of course the real story is that his estimated kills were somewhere in the two-hundreds, but whatever. The worst part is that this dude was shouldering the rifle and sweeping the muzzle around at head level of the other customers. I ended up leaving, but in hindsight I should have said something to management. There were only a few other people there, so I wonder if one of them reported him. Maybe he would've tried the "it wasn't loaded and it has the trigger lock on it" excuse.
ijosef

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat