Gun safes.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun safes.

Postby Lil' Dog on Wed May 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi,

I was interested in buying a new gun safe. I was looking at getting a bigger model, so I could hold more than just guns. I am curious how well people like their safes that have the touch pad/ electronic lock. Are they nice to have, or is it a pain when the batteries go dead. It seems that the nicer safes have the keypad. I am just getting some input. I am not opposed to a combonation lock, but to me the dials feel kind of cheap. Thanks.
Lil' Dog

Re: Gun safes.

Postby MNBlackjack on Wed May 18, 2011 9:01 pm

I have the keypad model from Stack On. Its the 36 gun model and I love it. It is fire rated for an hour and I have had it about year and no battery replacement yet.
FFL
NRA - Lifetime Member
NSSF
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
- Ayn Rand
MNBlackjack

Postby macphisto on Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 pm

MNBlackjack wrote:I have had it about year and no battery replacement yet.

You just gonna wait for it to die? :shock:
macphisto

Postby justinvan on Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 pm

I have a Remington branded safe manufactured by Liberty... It started life with the touchpad lock and now has the traditional dial, and to say the least you could not make me take another electronic lock! Can we say "2 weeks of guns locked in safe with out acess to them"? I spoke to the manufacturer and they said it failed due to static electricity and was a semi common problem. They had to drill the safe to get it open and replace the lock. If you want my opinion.... GET ONE WITH A DIAL!!!!
justinvan

Postby davehk on Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

davehk

Postby xd ED on Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

I read somewhere (on MGT, I believe) that one manufacturer reported that there were about 4x dial locks than electronics on safes, but electronic locks were 80% of lock issues.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby solidgun on Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 pm

I have both and personally I have not had any issues. I do use good quality high capacity rechargeable NiMH batteries (works at lower and higher temperature ranges) and replace or recharge them every 6 months (I write down the date on a sticky note pad).

I do have most of my expensive collections at my dad's place and he uses tumbler lock old bank safe style that takes up a big chunk of a room. This walk in closet safe has not had any issues for the last ~25 years with its locking mechanism, but I do believe he has gotten it looked at by his friend who used to be a locksmith once in a while to check on wear.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby infidel on Thu May 19, 2011 12:16 am

Mine has a key backup, and will notify when the batteries are low. Batteries have lasted about two years, but I imagine if I opened it more they would not last as long. I appreciate not having to look for a key for quick access.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby Pezhead on Thu May 19, 2011 6:14 am

Change them the the same to you change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
Pezhead

Postby yukonjasper on Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 am

My Keypad Patriot Safe has a two key override and an external power source in case my batteries go dead. I haven't had to use either. I don't go in and out of my safe that much, so the batteries have lasted a long time. I have been happy although I wish I had bought the biggest safe they sold - funny how it fills up over time. The fire rating is nice for important documents etc.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Hammer99... on Thu May 19, 2011 11:40 am

I think the keypads don't fail that often. But the combos fail even less I'm not sure I have ever heard off a combo failing. I have a 36 gun combo safe and a smaller keypad safe. I keep my carry guns in the keypad safe because I'm in and out of it several times a day. It has a manual key override. And I keep the keys in the big safe. It wouldn't be hard for somebody to run off with the whole safe but they couldn't use the gun against me if they broke in....

This is the one I have I got it from amazon.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby Gustavs01 on Thu May 19, 2011 3:07 pm

I own a Stack-on safe, It has the electronic pad and I've had it over 2 yrs now and I just changed the battery, Most large safes have a hidden key slot so Just in case you forgot the code the Wife changed the code or the Battery went dead. I love my safe, I sleep easier when I'm away knowing that my toys and my accessories are safe. You can take the TV hope you have a buddy that will help you lift it, Take my VCR while your at it, But don't bother with the safe you won't lift it.
:booyah: :booyah:
Μολών λαβέ
Gustavs01

Postby MissouriDave on Sat May 21, 2011 3:42 pm

I have a Cannon safe with the key pad. I love the keypad, and with memorization of the pad, you can gain pretty quick entry even with no lights on. Replace the batteries once a year in the spring, or when it starts beeping at you. I like it much better than the dial

MissouriDave

Postby justinvan on Sun May 22, 2011 6:23 pm

As far as ease of operation I like the keypad as well, but when the guy was drilling a hole in my safe to regain access I told myself never again! As he drilled for what semmed like hours we discussed failure rates of electronic pads and it pushed me away for good. I know this is just my opinion... but after the crap I went through to get mine fixed I feel pretty strongly about it.
justinvan

Return to General Gun Chat