Ruger SR9c reviews/opinions?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Ruger SR9c reviews/opinions?

Postby tt3 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Hey guys, my neighbor and I spent a bit of time at the Blaine GooseHill this morning looking at options to celebrate his new permit and really liked the feel of the sr9c. Since I know nothing about it, could you guys give me your opinion?

As an aside, the young lady working behind the counter this morning was very knowledgeable, though I cringed every time she said "conceal carry". Her name was Alex and she works part time. It was perfect for my girls to see a woman behind the gun counter.
tt3

Re: Ruger SR9c reviews/opinions?

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:25 pm

tt3 wrote:Hey guys, my neighbor and I spent a bit of time at the Blaine GooseHill this morning looking at options to celebrate his new permit and really liked the feel of the sr9c. Since I know nothing about it, could you guys give me your opinion?

As an aside, the young lady working behind the counter this morning was very knowledgeable, though I cringed every time she said "conceal carry". Her name was Alex and she works part time. It was perfect for my girls to see a woman behind the gun counter.

There are a lot of people that like them and there are a lot of reasons to like that pistol. It is slim in the hand, has a low bore axis, has good sights, and is seemingly reliable enough to finish the NYS DCJS Qualification courses (that is a lot of shooting.)

The guys that have them seem to like them.... And they seem to shoot them well.

Ruger is a solid value.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Gecko, Extra Crispy on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 pm

I owned one and sold it when money was tight.

I bought another shortly after I had fundage available again. Carry it sometimes. Don't shoot it at matches because of 20 years of bad GLOCK grip angle training. :D
Gecko, Extra Crispy

Postby tt3 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:58 pm

See, this is why I love firearms. I've never even looked at Rugers. I'll probably be posting to borrow one for him to shoot... although he likes it so much he might just go and buy it anyway! Already got the quote from Thunderjohn! ;)
tt3

Postby Inspiribomb on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:00 pm

tt3 wrote:Hey guys, my neighbor and I spent a bit of time at the Blaine GooseHill this morning looking at options to celebrate his new permit and really liked the feel of the sr9c. Since I know nothing about it, could you guys give me your opinion?

I know nothing about the Ruger, but that sounds like a teachable moment. Its fun teaching Home Depot employees about MN carry. They've even asked me to shoot other employees (jokingly). I've convinced a number of people to take the class by open carrying (not at all trying to start an open carry thread).
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Inspiribomb on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

tt3 wrote:See, this is why I love firearms. I've never even looked at Rugers. I'll probably be posting to borrow one for him to shoot... although he likes it so much he might just go and buy it anyway! Already got the quote from Thunderjohn! ;)

As I have said before, and will say again, Thunderjohn is the ONLY guy I will buy new firearms from. Period. End of sentence.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby xracer390 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:16 am

A gal I know bought one and had trouble with it, failure to eject and stovepipes. I shot it and the same thing. Gander (i think it was) in Rochester took it and shot it, same problem. It went back to Ruger. They got her another that shot fine but she refused to buy it.
Burnouts, big horsepower, and things that go bang!
xracer390

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 am

Alex is good and gives honest advice, while I have mixed opinions of Gander overall she steered me toward some great deals and seems to have taken the time to learn about the various firearm related products they sell. I thought most of their prices were higher than they needed to be, however Alex steered me toward 3 particularly good deals that bucked the trend on my last visit.

While you are shopping and handling different pistols I'd also take a trip down to Capras on 65 just south of 610 and if you don't mind heading just a little further south, Trail's End at 65 & Osbourne (just south of the Wendy's) sells a variety of firearms (more rifles than pistols though). Bill's over in Circle Pines has a huge selection of new, consignment and used pistols that are worth a look as well and is only another 10 minutes from G.Mountain.
yuppiejr

Postby tt3 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:27 am

We went to goose hill mostly because I had all the kids with me, harder to keep them occupied in Bill's or other places. GM has animals and stuff to look at, it was an added bonus to get someone who knew what she was talking about. I'm just trying to help out my neighbor get as many through his hands as he can to make a good choice.

I will have to check into the other two you mentioned south on 65, hadn't realized they were there.
tt3

Postby Porkie on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:22 pm

This model Ruger has a thumb safety and and a magazine safety. Those don't work for me. Of course, others might have a different view.

Regards, Porkie
Porkie

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:43 pm

I carry a full sized sr9 (bought from thunderjohn for 150 less than gm was asking) and I love it. It is slim but still comfortable in my big paws. The only issue I have seen with other people shooting it is it is really easy to limp wrist it. The recoil spring is very tight. I have heard complaints of people not being able to rack the slide because it is so tight. I love it. The sr9c shoots the same as my fullsize. He will like it.
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Postby Snowgun on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I just compared one to the PPS at the local gander.

In my opinion the thing is too thick and heavy compared to the walther, but the fit and finish is nicer than the LCP. I liked the PPS trigger better as well.

I haven't shot the SR9, but my PPS threads and has never had issues, even with sand all up in it.

It is cheaper by about 40% though... :?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Rem700 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Does Alex know that Mn is not a concealed carry state? If not how do you know what her knowledge of anything else is based upon.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby tt3 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Yeah well, see, seeing as I know enough to know when someone is *********** me, particularly about handgun models that I am familiar with and then transitioning into models I am unfamiliar with it is not that difficult a task to figure out that she knew her stuff about the guns she was showing us. That she didn't know about "conceal carry" is understandable as a college student who was working part time at the local GM.

Hey, she was good people trying to help out a couple newbs, my neighbor and his buddy got there first and I rolled up with the cart and kids to add to the mix. She's got my vote of confidence for knowing her stuff. Frankly given the number of instructors who refer and market it as a conceal carry course can you really nit pick that?
tt3

Postby rugersol on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 am

tt3 wrote:Frankly given the number of instructors who refer and market it as a conceal carry course can you really nit pick that?

Not to pile on, but as some folks were already aware, I file this with the "mag" vs. "clip" nonsense! :roll:

I don't know/associate with anyone who open-carries (not that I wouldn't) ... so either no one I know carries at all ... or they do it concealed ... which, I think, is a very good way fer most folks to go!

At which, I wouldn't hesitate to call MN a "concealed-carry" state!

... 'sept tonite at the Effin Gopher, 'course! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Next

Return to General Gun Chat