first time flying with a handgun

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

first time flying with a handgun

Postby Perch_44 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 pm

I am heading to Arizona next month, and plan on bringing my carry gun with. Now, i know i need to have it in an "airline approved" case, and in my checked baggage, unloaded, etc.

couple questions

i have a new xdm 3.8. is the xd gear case sufficient for airline travel? or do i need to purchase a different hard sided case? (hopefully someone has flown with the same equipment as me)

anything i should know, for my own well being, that is not documented on the airline site?

btw - flying southwest airlines.
Perch_44

Re: first time flying with a handgun

Postby EAJuggalo on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 pm

head over to the carry issues section of http://www.glocktalk.com They have an FAQ that answers just about all of those questions for you.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Thunderjohn on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:33 pm

You'll need a tiny lock that can fit the holes in the XDm case, as it will need to be locked.
Declare (not too loudly) at the counter that you have a firearm in your checked bag.
They'll give you a form to fill out with instructions.

The other option is to ship it to yourself c/o a friend , etc. in AZ.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby dshortone on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm

No loaded gun, gun is locked in a hard sided container, declare at counter, wait for the screeners to xray your bag, then continue as normal. My wife is sick of me traveling with firearms because of the extra five minutes it take, but it's worth it in my opinion! Have fun!
dshortone

Postby David on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:03 pm

The first time I flew with a firearm it was with an AR15 and a HK USP, both locked in the same metal travel case. I was going to Arizona to take a course. This was pre-9/11, but still, when the Northwest guy at the ticket counter asked me to open the case, and then he took it out and checked the chamber to verify that it was unloaded, you should have seen all the people in the area perk up. It was pretty clear they were all thinking, "he wants to bring THAT on the plane???" Pretty amusing, really.
David

Postby 1911fan on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Frankly, its become so common place now that airline attendants hardly blink.

your factory case will work fine, keep the ammo separate, I run a zip tie thru the barrel and ejection port just so I dont have to pick it up to show anyone at the ticket counter, I just open the case, they look and say "ahh thats good" and ask you to lock it, they then carry your bag to an Xray device, its scanned and put on the luggage conveyor. Its really pretty simple. I do it four or more times a year, every time its more and more common place and frankly, its ho-hum now.
1911fan

Postby grousemaster on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:05 am

no big deal, I do it all the time. Check out the TSA website for info.....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby cobb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:57 am

The lock on the gun case has to be a none TSA lock. Federal law requires that you are the only one to have access, so a TSA lock on a gun case would be in violation of federal law.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Don L on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 am

I use a regular lock thru the handle on the gun case, and then I put a TSA approved lock on the luggage once it's been inspected. It's worked fine.
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

Postby tman on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

1911fan wrote:I run a zip tie thru the barrel and ejection port just so I dont have to pick it up to show anyone at the ticket counter, I just open the case, they look and say "ahh thats good" and ask you to lock it

I take the slide off the frame.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Perch_44 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I read "macs guide to flying" on glocktalk, and that along with your replies, I'm feeling just fine about this.

According to southwest and tsa I can have the ammo in the oem box, in the case. But I plan on taking the slide off and barrel out, just to simplify things when they inspect it.

Just need to pick up a padlock and I should be good.

Just in case no one has read that guide to flying thread, he mentioned a couple very useful things. Print out the tsa and airline regs on guns, and have them in the gun case, for any issues on laws. Also put a piece of duct tape on the gun case, and write your name, address, cell number, email address on it. And also, how to secure the gun case to your luggage, to help prevent theft.
Perch_44

Postby nyffman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:42 pm

I don't know what the airline says about ammunition, but the TSA says:

Travelers may not use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
Ammunition may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows packing guidelines described above.
TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1666.shtm
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Perch_44 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:43 pm

nyffman wrote:I don't know what the airline says about ammunition, but the TSA says:

Travelers may not use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
Ammunition may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows packing guidelines described above.
TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1666.shtm

They say the same thing. I'll just unload my mags and put the ammo back in the original box.
Perch_44

Postby solidgun on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:34 am

I always follow that "arrive as early as possible" saying, but I usually pick early morning flights. Last 50+ times I have flown going to various locations, I checked in my firearm and arrived at my gate about 15 minutes after checking in.

I have my Pelican case laid out so that the gun is placed in pieces. I have yet to lose it, but I usually carry Glocks for travels that involve flying.

1. Glocks are cheap enough to replace
2. Magazines are readily available
3. Easy take down
4. Reliable
5. No sentimental value (I am sure they will lose my luggage someday.....)

Here is a picture of my flight Glock:

Ammo can remain in the same case as long as they are contained in a recommended case. If the magazines are loaded, they must be encased as well.

Also, when you fly, your firearm may not be covered under certain travel insurances against loss or damage.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Daddyo on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:37 pm

I take my PF9 with me every time I fly (about once a week).
I carry it in a plastic single pistol case I got from Cabelas. I put a TSA lock on that and a non-TSA on the suitcase that I put it in. The reasoning of the non-TSA lock on the luggage is so that it can't be opened without your knowledge (this comes from a TSA inspector).
You can carry a loaded magazine. It has to be out of the gun but can be in the same case. The primer of the top round has to be covered by cardboard or other hard material.
There are a lot of perks to flying with a handgun. If you're on Delta, you get to go in the Special Services line, very short. Also, my luggage rarely gets lost. When it does, it shows up very soon after I say "Can you direct me to the police substation then, because it contained a firearm which I now have to report as stolen."
At MSP, the firearms declaration goes in your bag, on top of the gun case. Be sure to ask how to do it on the return trip as different airports do it different ways.
No need to disassemble, as they hit it with enough X-ray to see if it's loaded or not on the scanner (TSA guy let me see the screen once).
That's all I can think of at the moment.
Enjoy your trip!
Daddyo

Next

Return to General Gun Chat