UPDATE 3/30/2012: Movement to repeal silencer ban

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Movement to repeal silencer ban

Postby JJ on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 am

Aren't we always fighting a war somewhere around the globe?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby R.E.T. on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:43 am

I know that the neighbors of BESA complain about the noise,maybe the ranges could ask people when they are complaining if they would support a silencer ban.
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby plblark on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am

so now everyone would be rewuired to go the CLEO signature and tax stamp route to use BESA ...

Unintended Consequences R.E.T.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Ranb on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 pm

609.66 has been amended to allow DNR possession of silencers. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66 Not sure how this happpened, but this link says it was done during the special session. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/laws/?doctyp ... ype=1&id=2

So much for getting the DNR on our side.

Ranb
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Postby crbutler on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm

As I recall, that happened a couple of years ago. The DNR has allowance for a set number of silencers for use in conducting cull shoots. The DNR is rarely on "our" side. They are a bureaucratic organization that looks out principally for the organization.
crbutler

Postby RobD on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:46 pm

crbutler wrote:As I recall, that happened a couple of years ago. The DNR has allowance for a set number of silencers for use in conducting cull shoots. The DNR is rarely on "our" side. They are a bureaucratic organization that looks out principally for the organization.

They have been limited to 10 for a while, with S.F. 3, they are no longer limited to 10, and they are not restricted to "authorized" use, just use within their written policy.

(1)establish and enforce a written policy governing the use, possession, and
transportation of the devices;.
(2) limit the number of the silencing devices maintained by the Department of
Natural Resources to no more than ten; and
(3) keep direct custody and control of the devices when the devices are not
specifically authorized for use.

This means absolutely nothing for a individual's right to own a suppressor in MN.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby bstrawse on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Ranb wrote:609.66 has been amended to allow DNR possession of silencers. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66 Not sure how this happpened, but this link says it was done during the special session. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/laws/?doctyp ... ype=1&id=2

So much for getting the DNR on our side.

Ranb

If you understood Minnesota firearms politics, this should not be a surprise to you.

Ready to work with GOCRA yet?
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ranb on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:04 am

bstrawse wrote:If you understood Minnesota firearms politics, this should not be a surprise to you.

Ready to work with GOCRA yet?
b

I have been writing to the GOCRA, but have only heard back from them once to learn that they are interested in a silencer bill. I have also seen a draft of a proposed gun bill that eases many restrictions in MN. I have been trying to find out what kind of plan they have for passage of a silencer bill and what they need from gun owners to get it passed, but so far I have not gotten a reply.

I have been ready to work with the GOCRA since I heard they existed. If they choose to keep things close instead of talking to everyone, that is ok. I just wanted to help out so I can use my silencers when I return to live in MN in 2023.

Ranb
Last edited by Ranb on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Postby Ranb on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 am

crbutler wrote:As I recall, that happened a couple of years ago. The DNR has allowance for a set number of silencers for use in conducting cull shoots.

609.66 used (earlier this year) to say in part;
Notwithstanding subdivision 1a, paragraph (a), clause (1), until July 1, 2011, an enforcement officer, as defined in section 97A.015, subdivision 18, a wildlife area manager, an employee designated under section 84.0835, or a person acting under contract with the commissioner of natural resources, at specific times and locations that are authorized by the commissioner of natural resources may use devices designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm for wildlife control operations that require stealth.

So after July and until now, the DNR was as SOL as the rest of us.

Ranb
Ranb

Postby R.E.T. on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:35 pm

plblark wrote:so now everyone would be rewuired to go the CLEO signature and tax stamp route to use BESA ...

Unintended Consequences R.E.T.

Not saying it would be mandatory, just trying to get some support for the bill from some of the complainers in that it may reduce some of the noise they complain about.
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby nyffman on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 am

our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby dogan529 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 am

”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
~Daniel Webster
dogan529

Postby arizona98tj on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:43 am

It amazes me that 39 other states allow sound suppressors while the rest, for some reason, think they are so terrible.
arizona98tj

Postby Dick Unger on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 pm

The DNR wanted silencers so they could kill migrant cormorants. So they proposed a bill to be as restrictive as possible. I suppose the bill was written so that there would be no opposition.

I'm told that the CO's will be concerned about poaching, now, they can ride around at night, look for spotlights and wait for gunshots.

It would seem that the health benefits and asthetics of not hearing really loud gunshots during season, or practice shoots would easily outweigh thses objections. I think a rifle would be pretty loud no matter what. In fact, I suppose the law could state that a rifle must make some minimal noise, (because it will anyway). Maybe that would placate the nay sayers.

But unless we can get a statehouse with a lot of libertarians, I think it will be difficult to overcome DNR and police opposition, in addition to the Bradys' who would oppose anything we propose.
Dick Unger

Postby arizona98tj on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Dick Unger wrote:I think a rifle would be pretty loud no matter what.

I'll take a guess that you've never witnessed a suppressed rifle being shot? Last month, at the precision rifle course I attended, the head instructor broke out his .308 Win chambered rifle that had a quality suppressor on it. I was standing not five feet from him when he shot. I must have looked quite stupid when my jaw dropped nearly to the ground in amazement....and I had no hearing protection on. I swear my German made .177 air rifle makes more noise....I know it does. And FWIW, the bullet breaking the sound barrier makes very little noise. The shooter was pushing 175 gr SMK at 2700 FPS.

As for poaching, it would seem that a night vision optic and crossbow would be better than any kind of white light and a firearm.
arizona98tj

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat