Where to get finger printed for SBR?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Where to get finger printed for SBR?

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm

russellmn wrote:OK, along the same lines, where do I get the appropriate fingerprint card?

They need to be FBI forms FD-258. In Anoka that's what they used and I think thats what most places use but you might want to call and ask.

Here is the form but they are usually printed on card stock so I wouldn't just print it off and bring it in.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby russellmn on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks, I found out that Bullseye has them and will give me a couple, but I'm gonna check with some other places that are closer.
russellmn

Postby BC98 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:23 pm

You can also request the cards from the ATF. I had the Blaine PD and they went through the first time. Cost me $10 if I remember right...
BC98

Postby Snowgun on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:24 pm

tman wrote:
Bessy wrote:Ive always done mine with the county, they charge me 5 bucks a card.

We're up to $25 for a set of two in my neck of the woods... Most counties have gone to livescan of some sort or another.

They're scanned electronically and are pretty much guaranteed to be classifiable. The computer won't accept them if they're not.

This is not true. (Either that or Karma hates me)

I went to the county jail (hennepin).
Forgot I had a pocket knife
Had to go outside and bury it in the snow to get in. :?
Went to the fingerprinting area, waited 45 min.
Lady took FOREVER scanning my fingers electronically.
Only had a 20 and they don't give change, so there's $20
Left and dug my knife out of the snow
Sent them in for Utah permit
Got a letter 3 weeks later saying the FBI couldn't read the cards.
I went to the county jail....again
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby russellmn on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Got my cards today, heading to Carlton County jail tomorrow to get printed, then to the Sherriff's office where she's already told me (without hesitation) that she'd sign off for me. Will have my Form 1 in the mail tomorrow!!!
russellmn

Postby Hammer99... on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:14 am

russellmn wrote:OK, along the same lines, where do I get the appropriate fingerprint card?

Cool, make sure to let us know what kinda turnaround time for the tax stamp you had.
Hammer99...

Postby russellmn on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 am

Hammer99... wrote:

Cool, make sure to let us know what kinda turnaround time for the tax stamp you had.

Check cleared the bank today... we'll see how long it takes 'til I get it back.
russellmn

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 am

oh and post pictures of you final build. SBRs are so cool.....
Hammer99...

Postby 1000 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 am

russellmn wrote:
Hammer99... wrote:

Check cleared the bank today... we'll see how long it takes 'til I get it back.

3 to 4 months. We have had people check clear 3 to 4 months ago and we are now geting the forms back this week. This are for SBR.AOW.

Terry
Minnesota DPS Certified, Minnesota BCA Approved, Minnesota POST Board Approved, NRA Certified, Minneapolis only Police and Mn/FL Carry Permit Training Center.NFA TRUST DONE HERE. http://creditcardshotgun.com/N.F.A.html
Terry,Bob,O'Neal,Peter and Mark

Postby russellmn on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:14 am

Well, on Aug 10 they kicked it back because I R stupid! :roll: Didn't read enough FAQs on forums and put "multi" for caliber... Ann Feltner is my reviewer... anyway, the returned form somehow got lost at my house, and I just found it a few weeks ago. By a strange coincidence, Ann called me the same day! :?: I explained that it'd gotten lost and she said "no problem, send the corrected form in and I'll turn it around same day!!!" Well, obviously I've done that! Got it back today. Now I gotta get my receiver engraved and eventually pick up my upper.
russellmn

Postby jshuberg on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 pm

You can get fingerprinted in downtown Mpls at the jail. Or you can create a Trust and skip the CLEO/Photo/Fingerprints section altogether, shave 2-3 months off the processing time, and allow the weapon to be in the possession of more than just yourself.

Registering as an individual is actually more hassle than going the Trust route.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:49 pm

so, i'm a little confused about one thing, why do you need your reciever engraved? is it going to be permanently for an SBR? what if you want to stick an 18" upper on it for something like hunting, or a 24" for longer range/varmint shooting? i'd imagine that's ok, right?
so what gets engraved on your reciever? can anyone do it?
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby jshuberg on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:so, i'm a little confused about one thing, why do you need your reciever engraved? is it going to be permanently for an SBR? what if you want to stick an 18" upper on it for something like hunting, or a 24" for longer range/varmint shooting? i'd imagine that's ok, right?
so what gets engraved on your reciever? can anyone do it?

By making an SBR out of an existing rifle, you are changing it's classification from a title I weapon to a title II weapon, AKA an NFA weapon (often incorrectly referred to as a class III weapon). By changing it's classification, *you* are now the manufacturer of the SBR, and you need to engrave the receiver with your information, just like any other firearm manufacturer must do. What needs to be engraved depends on how you registered it - either with your name, your trusts name, or your companies name, and with the city and state where the SBR is assembled. You do not need to add an additional serial number if one is already present. The information to be engraved must exactly match the information you entered on line 4h of your form 1 application.

As far as changing the SBR configuration, if you intend to modify the barrel length, overall length, or caliber of the weapon from that entered on the form 1 registration, you must notify BATFE in writing of the change, and let them know if it is a permanent or temporary change. Increasing the barrel length to 16" or longer technically would convert the weapon back to a title I weapon, and I don't know if temporarily doing so would be allowed (although I imagine it would be). You should call the NFA branch about this. I do know that if you intend to permanently increase the barrel length of an SBR to rifle/carbine length you can notify BATFE, and they will remove the weapon from the NFA registry. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this though.

I'd suggest Orion Arms for the SBR engraving. They are familiar with the font size, engraving depth, and location requirements:
http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving ... tions.html

Most importantly, don't believe anything you read on the internet, especially concerning a subject with the potential criminal liabilities that NFA weapons can have. Contact the BATFE NFA branch directly with any questions, and to make sure you are understanding and following the process correctly. Laws and regulations have a tendency of changing from time to time without warning.

BATFE NFA Branch: 304-616-4500
Hope this helps :)
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby dsm2nr on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:27 pm

jshuberg wrote:As far as changing the SBR configuration, if you intend to modify the barrel length, overall length, or caliber of the weapon from that entered on the form 1 registration, you must notify BATFE in writing of the change, and let them know if it is a permanent or temporary change. Increasing the barrel length to 16" or longer technically would convert the weapon back to a title I weapon, and I don't know if temporarily doing so would be allowed (although I imagine it would be). You should call the NFA branch about this. I do know that if you intend to permanently increase the barrel length of an SBR to rifle/carbine length you can notify BATFE, and they will remove the weapon from the NFA registry. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this though.

Most people write 7.5" - 22" for barrel length when registering an SBR lower. That way you can change it to what you want, when you want.
dsm2nr

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat